What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#ForeverBuff Joe Bosshard's pro training group running mile races this Saturday (Donation opportunity- races are a benefit for the Sachs Foundation)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Wanted to mention that elite pro track coach and #ForeverBuff Joe Bosshard's (https://cubuffs.com/sports/track-and-field/roster/joe-bosshard/121) professional running group (which includes fellow #Foreverbuff's Emma Coburn (also his wife), Dani Jones, Laura Thweatt, Maddie Alm and Nick Harris) announced ~10 days ago (see below Instagram) that they are going to be running men's and women's mile races this Saturday evening (~~8:39 PM MT per the tweet posted in post #4 below). The running goal (in addition I'm sure to just get to race somewhat competitively in this Covid-period of cancelled official meets) seems to be attempting to break the records for fastest men's and women's mile times ran on Colorado soil.

(Both records are currently held by Buffs, with the aforementioned Dani Jones holding the women's record, while Joe Klecker set the men's record during this past indoor season.

From other Instagram posts by the team, it's team member Aisha Praught-Leer who has, along with Coach Bosshard, set this up, so I’m using her Instagram post below. (I believe all the team members made posts about this.))

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As a major (or maybe THE main) reason for the races, they have set up an opportunity to donate to (quoted from the below Instagram) "the Sachs Foundation, whose mission is to provide educational opportunities to Black and African American residents of Colorado."

Donation page (of course contains a LOT more info than what I wrote above) - https://pledgeit.org/team-boss-colo...sachs-foundation?trk=5ee55fe68859ec85a85d8879
(Although the race is this Saturday, looks like the donation period doesn’t end for 11 days.

As I type this, the page shows they have received $12,158 in pledges towards their $20,000 goal. With the pledge option of giving so much per second all the racers run under the current Colorado soil records this Saturday, the exact actual pledge amount is unknown at this point. The donation page says "We've estimated a total of 30 cumulative seconds below the previous records for this campaign." Hopefully the whole team is feeling SPEEDY this Saturday to help increase the total donation amount!)

Link to the Sachs Foundation web page for those interested in learning more about it - https://www.sachsfoundation.org/
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A few notes:
1) At the time the races were announced, they did say they will be live-streamed, with more information on how to watch them I assume becoming available as race-time closes in.

2) As I'd assume most/ all here already know, it's harder to run at altitude, which is why (along with the fact not many (if any?) elite pro track meets have been run in the state) why no one has ever broken the mythical 4:00 mile barrier. From what I could find, looks like Colorado Mesa is (per the donations page) at around 4600 4500 ft. above sea level, (or one website I found indicates close to 4600 ft.). Using the NCAA's altitude Conversion app, looks like on the men's side running at Colorado Mesa's lower altitude could make it, all other things being equal, ~1.43 seconds faster at 4500 than running in Boulder's IPF (or 1.25 seconds at 4600 ft.), while on the women's side it works out to ~1.64 seconds faster at 4500 ft., or around 1.5 seconds if it's 4600 ft..

3) Obviously not a huge deal, but both the donation webpage and the above Instagram post say that Ms. Jones’ Colorado “soil” record is 4:36.8. However (as can be found in the article at https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/2/2/track-and-field-jones-clocks-fastest-mile-at-cu-invite.aspx), I believe (unless I'm missing something???) it is actually 4:36.05.

4) As a fan of all things Buffs, great to see Joe Bosshard seems to be establishing himself as one of THE top younger (looks like he's 30) pro distance running coaches in the U.S... In addition to gaining #ForeverBuff Dani Jones' commitment in early May to be coached by him and train with his group (she was considered THE top distance running prospect in the nation out of this year's women's class), it was announced a few weeks ago the top men's NCAA distance runner from the 2018/2019 academic year, Aussie and Wisconsin Badger grad Morgan McDonald, has also joined "Team Boss". (Mr. McDonald won 4 NCAA Championships his senior year- being the 2018 Cross Country Champion, as well as winning 3 championships on the track.)

Last edited:
Looks like they've picked up another streaming partner (a rare FREE stream on Flotrack!), and exact times for the races listed in the below tweet.

Looks like there is a new Colorado soil mile record for the women, and it stays in the Buff "family", as Emma Coburn gets the win in (unofficially?) 4:32.7. I would think Dani Jones, who got 3rd maybe 5-10 yards back, also was under her old record by maybe a full second or more.

In the men's race, Joe Klecker's record stands, as the newest member of the Bosshard team, Wisconsin grad and Aussie Morgan McDonald, blew the rest of the runners away on the last lap, but can't make up for the 1st 3 laps being a couple seconds behind the needed pace, so finishes in the 4:02's.

Last edited:
Here's an article with the story for the races, including times- https://www.runnerspace.com/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=44531&do=news&news_id=605240

And, here are direct links to the (look to be free) interviews with the 2 winners (including #ForeverBuff Coburn) -

Coburn said on Instagram that the first 3 women were all under the old record for the state of Colorado and that included Dani Jones.

Back