What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Former Buff Football HC, Bill Mallory has died

It's funny what makes an impression on a 10 year old, but all I can remember is how much the old folks were looking for a change at HC in his final year. The sign "New York Life is Better Coached" sticks out in my mind. If any of you remember the old commercials.

Of course CU started the dark days under Fairbanks after Mallory. Sometimes the grass ain't greener. Meanwhile, he goes and turns around Indiana of all places. Hindsight....

Anyway, he is one of the memories of the beginning of my fandom. I appreciate him for that.

he was a good coach. he was forced out because he couldn't beat nebraska and oklahoma, even though his teams were usually bowl teams. it was felt by some influential boosters that we needed a big time coach to beat the fuskers and ou. so, they got mallory canned and fronted a huge amount (at the time) of money to lure fairbanks from being the hc of the new england patriots. fairbanks announced he was leaving new england at the halftime of a playoff game or maybe right before the playoffs.

things got off to a pretty horrible start and not just on the field. the university was beset with financial troubles in the athletic department at the time. a lot of it was due to the implementation of title ix. CU was forced to cut a whole bunch of men's sports, including baseball. the outcry was as bad as you can imagine. meanwhile, fairbanks spent many thousands remodeling his office so the optics of that in the face of budget cuts were horrible.

the backlash was pretty extreme. the students deserted the program and became actively anti-big time sports. big boosters stayed away. and CU was playing literally the very worst football it had ever played, including two losses to drake. fairbanks and friends tried to dress things up and changed the colors to blue and gold (nearly identical to ucla). more backlash from long time fans ensued.

mallory serves as an example that the grass is not always greener. and, there are still remnants of the damage that came after his termination. "we need a coach who understands the special uniqueness of CU" is one of the lasting vestiges of the damage done in the aftermath of mallory's firing.

rip, coach mallory.

A walk down memory lane. Brian Cabral was on this team.

Brian Cabral playing for the Bears during their Super Bowl run is one way CU got on my radar. Tons of players contributing at that time, but the mountains were on my mind and that announcement over and over during the seasons stood out to me.

he was a good coach. he was forced out because he couldn't beat nebraska and oklahoma, even though his teams were usually bowl teams. it was felt by some influential boosters that we needed a big time coach to beat the fuskers and ou. so, they got mallory canned and fronted a huge amount (at the time) of money to lure fairbanks from being the hc of the new england patriots. fairbanks announced he was leaving new england at the halftime of a playoff game or maybe right before the playoffs.

things got off to a pretty horrible start and not just on the field. the university was beset with financial troubles in the athletic department at the time. a lot of it was due to the implementation of title ix. CU was forced to cut a whole bunch of men's sports, including baseball. the outcry was as bad as you can imagine. meanwhile, fairbanks spent many thousands remodeling his office so the optics of that in the face of budget cuts were horrible.

the backlash was pretty extreme. the students deserted the program and became actively anti-big time sports. big boosters stayed away. and CU was playing literally the very worst football it had ever played, including two losses to drake. fairbanks and friends tried to dress things up and changed the colors to blue and gold (nearly identical to ucla). more backlash from long time fans ensued.

mallory serves as an example that the grass is not always greener. and, there are still remnants of the damage that came after his termination. "we need a coach who understands the special uniqueness of CU" is one of the lasting vestiges of the damage done in the aftermath of mallory's firing.

rip, coach mallory.

I think it took years, but I think we've figured out what we are-We should be going to bowls more often than not (7-8 years out of 10 say) with that occasional special.....10-11 win year a la 2016 or 2011.

rip, coach mallory.

All accurate.

My dad's company had season tickets so Mallory was the coach when I was old enough to know what was going on,

He was old school, tough guy drove his players hard but cared about them. He was successful but had the bad luck to coach the Buffs when the Fuskers were at their height of better football through chemistry and Oklahoma was trying to outspend Texas for athletes out of Texas. He also followed Eddie Crowder who had a quality bowl game almost every year and a #3 finish. The fans may have had some pretty unrealistic expectations for Mallory

rip, coach mallory.

The glorious days of Arnie Weber........

Heart of a Buffalo, RIP Coach

Brian Cabral playing for the Bears during their Super Bowl run is one way CU got on my radar. Tons of players contributing at that time, but the mountains were on my mind and that announcement over and over during the seasons stood out to me.

Brian Cabral wasnt the only buff on that bears team. The starting te, emory moorehead, was from cu too.

rip, coach mallory.

So true! And I'm still pissed today over the Fairbanks debacle. RIP Mallory.

Not to derail this thread (hopefully), but I wanted to say that Brian Cabral may be the finest man to ever wear the black & gold. In hindsight, if CU was going to economize and hire from within the family back in 2011 then the better move would have been to promote Cabral after the team rallied for him at the end of the 2010 season.
Dilly dilly! I can’t agree more. Embree over Cabral...that was Bohn headed.

In regards to Mallory...great Buff and at 82 he had a long life and hopefully as fulfilling as it looked from the outside.

RIP Coach.

When I was a student, Bill would run through the game film every Tuesday at noon in the UMC Theatre. He would comment on what went right, went wrong, why plays were called, etc. It was a unique insight into the mechanics of calling a game and thought process of the coaches. I don't think he particularly enjoyed doing this as he wasn't the most engaging public speaker, but God Bless Him, he showed up every week to give the presentation. A very genuine person.

Last edited:
Back