What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Forrest, Henley, Mobley, WillJeff, MTM - ALL GONE

:wow:....don't get the WillJeff or Forest West move at all, they were solid players and WillJeff got screwed around as much as any player because of HaLk (moved to WR, then to RB, back to WR)

I hope there is some smoke/other issues to explain these moves other than "perceived" talent

Griffon actually played pretty well in the Spring Game too, but what do I know

Slippery slope....

On the plus side, Embo runs a completely different ship than DII.

I don't know what to think at this point. :rolling_eyes:

No one really knows what is going on inside the program... but if they think the trouble of keeping these guys wasn't worth it, I'll trust their judgement for now. One thing is for sure, Embree expects the best and the remaining players surely KNOW that now

All great qualities of a leader of a type A organization so far by Embree. He would make a great Infantry Battalion or Brigade Commander if he wasn't coaching football.
1. He has a clear vision of where he wants to take the program.
2. He outlined that vision as soon as he got to Boulder.
3. He has set the expectations with the players
4. From the get go he made sure everyone knew who was in charge.
5. He has not waivered on his standards. Once he makes a decision he sticks with it.
6. He is able to execute quickly from what I've seen so far i.e the 19 guys we got in the 13 working days he had to recruit a class, naming a starting QB 3 days after the spring game.

-- So far so good in my book. I think it was just what the doctor ordered given the state of our program. I'm really excited for Hawaii.

depth just took a huge hit. WR, TE, and DE are all scary thin. Basically have 3 DEs that can play at 12-PAC level (hartigan, kasa, uzo-drive), 3 TEs, and two have no real experience (Deehan, Thornton, and Slavin), and 3 WRs, and that's assuming Gray comes on baord (PRich, Celmons, Gray). those positions are scary thin. As is QB and ILB and OLB.

We also lost 3 OL this spring: MTM, Givens, and Richter. While depth is still okay for '11, we better sign at least five in '12 as we'll be back to '05 levels after we lose 6 graduating seniors.

have to trust JE on this one, but seems like a riskly move given lack of depth was already a concern.

All great qualities of a leader of a type A organization so far by Embree. He would make a great Infantry Battalion or Brigade Commander if he wasn't coaching football.
1. He has a clear vision of where he wants to take the program.
2. He outlined that vision as soon as he got to Boulder.
3. He has set the expectations with the players
4. From the get go he made sure everyone knew who was in charge.
5. He has not waivered on his standards. Once he makes a decision he sticks with it.
6. He is able to execute quickly from what I've seen so far i.e the 19 guys we got in the 13 working days he had to recruit a class, naming a starting QB 3 days after the spring game.

-- So far so good in my book. I think it was just what the doctor ordered given the state of our program. I'm really excited for Hawaii.

Amen.

I understand the shock regarding what happened with the cuts. I get it, they are kids, here to play football and get an education. However if they are not meeting the requirements given by their contract with the school (scholarship) then they do not deserve the benefits (free education). This is a sport and a buisness, the university cannot afford to spend money on athletes who do not do what is asked of them. On the football side the coach cannot afford to waste roster spots on people who are a risk to the team academically or athletically. There is no zen hugs for everyone anymore. This Coach is doing it the right way. Is everyone going to like in boulder? I can guarantee they won't. It has to be done though. I am sorry to MTM, Forrest, and Jefferson, I hope they can continue their career elsewhere if they get things in order, but if they are not buying into the team, doing what is asked of them, and contributing in a positive manner to the university then I am glad they are leaving before they cost us something else down the line.

So we didn't sign any TE's. I think OLB and DE will be pretty similar in our new D. Ahles needs to move back to OLB. Of the LB's we signed (Harlos, Greer, Clark, Tuumalo) only Greer and Tuumalo which is bordlerline have the size to contribute immediately. It's gonna be a pretty rough year when injuries occur

Last edited:
Don't really agree with the MTM decision. Injuries are part of the game and for a kid to have his college education taken away because of it is a shame. Now if he's not cutting it in the classroom then adios.

He didn't have his education taken away. When a player can't play anymore they stay on scholarship and the scholarship doesn't count against the limit.

The WillJeff move is surprising to me as well. It doesn't make sense.

According to the practice reports I saw, WJeff couldn't run for extended periods of time, for what that's worth. If his cartilage is gone that might be it, but obviously I have no inside information.

It was not clear in the announcement if MTM and WillJeff would be put on Medical Hardship. I think MTM is a given and WillJeff may have been seeking some special handling for his chronic knee and JE said not here. Take a Med-RS or we'll help you find a place where you can play.

My gut tells me Henley wasn't good enough. He was thin and hadn't gained much weight while here. He also dropped 2 passes in the Saturday scrimmage before.

Mobley was just a problem and this is best for him. Maybe he will figure it out somewhere.

MTM had at least 18 months to rehab and it wasn't happening for him. Would love to find out why.

West must not have been hitting it off with the coaches. He was a pretty good player I thought. Parker looked ready to play during the All-American game so I'd expect to see him with reps from day 1.

Anyone else wondering why we are keeping Hagan on as recruiting coordinator? The new staff sure does not seem to think much of the old staff's evaluations of a number of players.

His current role is PR, not talent evaluation. That may not be true everywhere, but in Hagan's case, he is limited in this respect. Fact.

I'm all for embree's hard ass approach but will jeff and west? Neither make any sense at this point. None. This isn't the NFL where you just cut players and pick guys up in FA or the waiver wire. Not understanding these moves at all.

According to the practice reports I saw, WJeff couldn't run for extended periods of time, for what that's worth. If his cartilage is gone that might be it, but obviously I have no inside information.

Obviously JE wasn't kidding when he said get good or get gone. I'm hoping MTM & W-Jeff get another crack at making the team.

Don't worry about MTM. He'll probably be on the camera crew or something but will stay on scholarship as a medical hardship.

The other guys... meh. I thought Canty looked better than Jefferson and now Gray will probably unseat him as well.

Disappointed to hear about West but honestly the depth is looking daunting in front of him.

Roll on Embree.

Depth? Daunting? You mean Kasa, hartigan and diribe? Kasa hasn't become as of yet the dominating de everyone thought, hartigan is 215 lbs. Depth eh?

I'm just glad Embree doesn't do MY performance evaluations!!

If Embree did performance evaluations for allbuffs, pretty sure 100% of the regulars would be riding off into the sunset :lol:

I'm all for embree's hard ass approach but will jeff and west? Neither make any sense at this point. None. This isn't the NFL where you just cut players and pick guys up in FA or the waiver wire. Not understanding these moves at all.

Can I point out that Embree has gone on record, numerous times, stating that players were told again and again that they were riding the razor, and that this was not all/only about on the field performance? He even said, and I paraphrase cuz I'm too lazy to look up the quote, that he understands this is not the NFL where you just cut players and pick guys up in the FA or the waiver wire.

If you take the guy at his word - and for now I see no reason not too - West had plenty of opportunity to do what needed to be done to remain a member of the CU football family and didn't step up and WillJeff left the team of his own volition- read: was not necessarily asked to leave. If true, why are folks hammerin' at Embree?

Last edited:
Depth? Daunting? You mean Kasa, hartigan and diribe? Kasa hasn't become as of yet the dominating de everyone thought, hartigan is 215 lbs. Depth eh?
Just speculating but with the change from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and the emergence of Obi along with having Cunningham and Bonsu in the inside along with maybe Richter does Pericak become a swing guy from DT to DE for the upcoming season. He actually lined up wider than a traditional DT at times in the 3-4 they ran. He is also longer and quicker than a lot of DEs.

Just speculating but with the change from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and the emergence of Obi along with having Cunningham and Bonsu in the inside along with maybe Richter does Pericak become a swing guy from DT to DE for the upcoming season. He actually lined up wider than a traditional DT at times in the 3-4 they ran. He is also longer and quicker than a lot of DEs.

Any way you try to spin it, it affects the depth at either DT or DE. And I would be against moving our best and most proven DT to DE.

Can I point out that Embree has gone on record, numerous times, stating that players were told again and again that they were riding the razor, and that this was not all/only about on the field performance? He even said, and I paraphrase cuz I'm too lazy to look up the quote, that he understands this is not the NFL where you just cut players and pick guys up in the FA or the waiver wire.

If you take the guy at his word - and for now I see no reason not too - West had plenty of opportunity to do what needed to be done to remain a member of the CU football family and didn't step up and WillJeff left the team of his own volition- read: was not necessarily asked to leave. If true, why are folks hammerin' at Embree?

Because they are nit wits.

Any way you try to spin it, it affects the depth at either DT or DE. And I would be against moving our best and most proven DT to DE.

No question the team is shorthanded on the DL. Even if everybody stays healthy they will be pushing it, with a couple of injuries they will be hurting.

That said I am not suggesting that Pericak go full time to DE. I am saying that with his skill set he could create some significant matchup problems by moving around a bit.

Will the loss of a couple of players hurt the team this season? I dunno, maybe, maybe not. Am I concerned that the players aren't returning? A few, yes. I thought WillJeff showed some promise, even if inconsistent, and West certainly had his moments. I saw good things from MTM before the injury, and I hoped he would recover. The two frosh were just "future possibles". But.....

JE is running this show. I'm just on the outside looking in. The staff has to do what they think is right since it's their job, their livelihood. My opinion is worth doodlisquat. Who knows what was going on behind the scenes with the 5 young men. We may never know all the details.

I hope JE and the staff have made the correct decision, and at face value, I support them. I also wish these 5 players the best of luck in whatever their future holds. Thanks for being part of the Black-n-Gold, guys.

i remember when Bill Callahan came into the Nebraksa and started running players off. and since BC invented the forward pass, Bugeaters were all into it.

i'm not saying it's the same, because JE and EB have been here before....but the "NFL mentality" make have its drawbacks.

i know from personal experience that a lot of Mac's players weren't exactly over-performing in the classroom. people change, but EB had to come back and finish his degree among other things.

now, personally, if can't make a C at CU today you are trying to fail. that's college today and grade inflation.

Embree said guys needed to show up on time and play hard in practice. How hard is that? If somebody isn't willing to do that, especially right after a new coach is hired and jobs are up for grabs, then he is never going to be a decent BCS player. And there is no reason to waste time and scholarship money on somebody who is coasting, especially if doing so undermines the new coach's credibility with a bunch of guys trying to decide whether the new guy means what he says. And if there's a time to set an example, its now, and the way to set it is to cut a couple of under-achievers. I don't know what went down with West, Griffon and Mobley, but I have no reason to doubt Embree's word that he gave them every chance to stick around.

As for the "NFL mentality," Jon Embree spent most of his coaching career at the college level, and was very successful at developing guys into top flight college players, such as Tyler Brayton, Daniel Graham, etc. Bill Callahan by comparison had little college experience and little distinction at any level, apart from as a one-year wonder coasting on Jon Gruden's fumes.

Listen! Most of you clammored for a change. Shut up!!!

I'm not bitching. I'm fine with it. The new dog has to show why he's the top dog if he wants to be respected. Just sucks it came at DE :lol:

Back