What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Forrest, Henley, Mobley, WillJeff, MTM - ALL GONE

The people that have read Mobley's twitter posts the last few months can see there is an obvious problem there. He was the first person that I thought of when Embree started mentioning making cuts. All his tweets are about partying or staying up late or sleeping and complaining about doing school work. From an outsider looking in, it seems obvious that he wasn't cutting it in the classroom. As for West I don't know but I'm sure it has to do with not making the grades as well.

I am fine with Embree making the moves he feels appropriate. But let's call it like it is, the moves today make the DE and WR positions more suspect in terms of depth. I do not expect them to turn it around overnight, but we also need to win games THIS YEAR with the huge senior class. Do you disagree with any of this?

See, the problem with setting a standard and drawing a line for accountability is that, if you don't stick to it, then you lose all power. "Ok kids, this is what I want, and if there is plenty of depth at your position and you are an average player, then you must meet this criteria. But if we are thin and you are a baller, then screw it. Do whatever the **** you want."

I don't care about the depth. What I care about is the pansy assed CU team we have seen for years. I will take some losses if it sets up Embree for building a tough assed team in the future. He drew a line, told them exactly what to do, and some of them obviously challenged him wither openly, or by dragging thier feet (in practice or in schoolwork). As far as the injuries; I am sure that with what is a staff with so many former pro coaches, they can see what a kid can do for full practices, and what he might do for one sprint, and then be out of commission for the rest of the practice or game. If the kids are going to be crippled further by pushing and the coaches know there is little hope of them ever contributing, then they are doing them a favor by letting them finish school, but not counting against the roster (where we need healthy bodies).

Sucks, but it is life. My friend was a State Trooper here in CO and had knee surguries. Could not run the few miles they required for yearly physicals. Now he does not work for teh State Patrol anymore. Such is life. Perform to standards, or move on.

It doesn't have to be softened, but you were trying to do that with your above statement regarding trying out again in the fall.

You suggested the bet, and I will take it 7 days a week. They aren't invited back to prove the coaches wrong. They are gone.

Oh I dont think they were invited. I think if they were problem children then Embree was glad to part ways and will be glad to not see them on the football field at CU. However I am sure they were informed about the walk on process. Anyone can walk on and compete for a spot on the roster if they want. So if these kids really want to play for CU and do it the right way they can come back and prove it.

Im fine with Embree doing his thing. That said, I dont agree with the West move in terms of on the football field. If it was grades, then thats on West. It affects our depth for sure. One thing is for sure, Embree isnt ****ing around. It's his way or the highway.

See, the problem with setting a standard and drawing a line for accountability is that, if you don't stick to it, then you lose all power. "Ok kids, this is what I want, and if there is plenty of depth at your position and you are an average player, then you must meet this criteria. But if we are thin and you are a baller, then screw it. Do whatever the **** you want."

I don't care about the depth. What I care about is the pansy assed CU team we have seen for years. I will take some losses if it sets up Embree for building a tough assed team in the future. He drew a line, told them exactly what to do, and some of them obviously challenged him wither openly, or by dragging thier feet (in practice or in schoolwork). As far as the injuries; I am sure that with what is a staff with so many former pro coaches, they can see what a kid can do for full practices, and what he might do for one sprint, and then be out of commission for the rest of the practice or game. If the kids are going to be crippled further by pushing and the coaches know there is little hope of them ever contributing, then they are doing them a favor by letting them finish school, but not counting against the roster (where we need healthy bodies).

Sucks, but it is life. My friend was a State Trooper here in CO and had knee surguries. Could not run the few miles they required for yearly physicals. Now he does not work for teh State Patrol anymore. Such is life. Perform to standards, or move on.

I don't disagree with the whole accountability or pretty much anything you wrote. I am just saying the moves make an already questionable WR position even more questionable. Same with DE.

I know Embree has to do it his way and I am willing to give him plenty of leeway, I just hope all the people in this thread arguing the moves are no big deal will be willing to give Embree that same slack this fall.

I don't disagree with the whole accountability or pretty much anything you wrote. I am just saying the moves make an already questionable WR position even more questionable. Same with DE.

I know Embree has to do it his way and I am willing to give him plenty of leeway, I just hope all the people in this thread arguing the moves are no big deal will be willing to give Embree that same slack this fall.

We are going to have to despise losing to enjoy winning. There are going to be bad years, and there are going to be good ones. This season goes south and people are going to definitely question the hire, but Embree has said from day one to be patient with him and his staff. It is going to take time to get back to where Embree wants us. This is one step towards that end. Who knows maybe this is the example that causes a team wide attitude shift, like someone else mentioned addition by subtraction. We won't know until we play in Honolulu. I personally see the leadership finally acting like this is a top tier school with some pride and tradition and doing what needs to be done to create a winning mentality among the athletes.

I can't wait to see in the next few years the headlines on ESPN "Colorado is Back" with a picture of a running back blowing up a safety on the way to the endzone, or a line backer destroying a QB. That type of physical football with personal accountability and pride in the logo on the helmet, never settling for anything. That is who we are, that is how we have won in the past, and that is the direction we are pointed in again.

Not knowing the situation I can only assume that Embree had good reason to "cut" these players and I have to accept it.

Now I do think that this is scary for our depth, in fact I mentioned that back when Embo said he would release players. I am nervous especially cause we lost people at some thinner positions.

However, some people are predicting doom in here. One refrain I am hearing is that we lost someone who started and the only people behind them have no game experience. That is a good reason to be nervous but. When the staff was assembled everyone on this board (me included) was excited about the coaches because they could coach and develop players. So if the staff does its job and lives up to expectations we might not be as ****ed as I and others fear. There are bodies behind west and the others, can the staff coach them and get them good? I know some are walkons and it will be a big challenge but lets see if these coaches can do what we hoped they could do, what they were hired to do.

And since all of us have no say in the situation all we can do is hope that the coaches perform and bring along kids and make them shine this year. That being said, "There is a standard and you either meet it or you dont" to quote Embo. If the coaches dont bring along the players and improve the state of the program then they should be held accountable. If they do show a turnaround then my "hope" will turn to trust and I wont worry as much as I am right now.

Last edited:
Let me see if I have this correct: The new coach says he's going to cut some players after spring practice. He says that the cuts will be based on effort, buying into the program, and "showing up." He says 95% of the players have bought in and are doing what the coaches want. Then, after spring practice, he cuts some players (about 5%). Some fans wonder WTF is going on, as if the new coach hasn't been telling everyone what will happen and why it will happen for weeks.

Brian White approved this message.

Oh I dont think they were invited. I think if they were problem children then Embree was glad to part ways and will be glad to not see them on the football field at CU. However I am sure they were informed about the walk on process. Anyone can walk on and compete for a spot on the roster if they want. So if these kids really want to play for CU and do it the right way they can come back and prove it.

No, not anyone can walk on and compete, like it's some sort of democracy and the chancellor has the last vote.... How many guys did that successfully that weren't invited walk ons... about NONE, almost NEVER. This walk-on point your tried to make FAILed. This is NOT softened by "they can come back and prove their worth like real men". They are gone. Cut. Shown the door. Their scholarship is not renewed, which is extremely rare.

Embree cut some guys we could have used. If he did it for the right reasons (bad attitudes, failure to work hard on field or in class, etc) - I applaud him. We could use the depth, but not at the expense of players thinking there is a double standard. Clemons had his ass chewed early on in the Spring.

No, not anyone can walk on and compete, like it's some sort of democracy and the chancellor has the last vote.... How many guys did that successfully that weren't invited walk ons... about NONE, almost NEVER. This walk-on point your tried to make FAILed. This is NOT softened by "they can come back and prove their worth like real men". They are gone. Cut. Shown the door. Their scholarship is not renewed, which is extremely rare.

Embree cut some guys we could have used. If he did it for the right reasons (bad attitudes, failure to work hard on field or in class, etc) - I applaud him. We could use the depth, but not at the expense of players thinking there is a double standard. Clemons had his ass chewed early on in the Spring.

You are telling me that a student at the university with some football skills could not walk on in the fall and attempt to get a spot on the roster? Does it happen often no. But could they come back and show that they have the talent to compete and possibly earn their spot back? Yes they could. I am not saying that Embree would roll out the red carpet for them and say that they learned their lesson. My point is that if they want to play at this level, and play at the University of Colorado, there is an opportunity for them to do so, it won't be easy and more often then not will not get them a spot on the team however it is possible.

We are going to have to despise losing to enjoy winning. There are going to be bad years, and there are going to be good ones. This season goes south and people are going to definitely question the hire, but Hawkins has said from day one to be patient with him and his staff. It is going to take time to get back to where Hawk wants us. This is one step towards that end. Who knows maybe an example of the little things that causes a team wide attitude shift, like someone else mentioned addition by subtraction. We won't know until we play in Honolulu. I personally see the leadership finally acting like this is a top tier school with some pride and tradition and doing what needs to be done to create a winning mentality among the athletes.

I can't wait to see in the next few years the headlines on ESPN "Colorado is Back" with a picture of a running back blowing up a safety on the way to the endzone, or a line backer destroying a QB. That type of physical football with personal accountability and pride that earns a logo on the helmet, never settling for anything. That is who we are, that is how we have won in the past, and that is the direction we are pointed in again.

Made a few small tweaks to see if that worked, takes me back 5 years, it is always the same with a new coach.

Let me see if I have this correct: The new coach says he's going to cut some players after spring practice. He says that the cuts will be based on effort, buying into the program, and "showing up." He says 95% of the players have bought in and are doing what the coaches want. Then, after spring practice, he cuts some players (about 5%). Some fans wonder WTF is going on, as if the new coach hasn't been telling everyone what will happen and why it will happen for weeks.

Brian White approved this message.

Rep Sent

Made a few small tweaks to see if that worked, takes me back 5 years, it is always the same with a new coach.

Only thing is he was never committed to running a physical team on either side of the ball. Not until recently did he TRY to install a hard nosed rushing offense. The type of offense and defense being implemented win championships, period. Also Hawk (away from the cameras) never treated this like a top tier athletic program, he treated it like BSU. He didn't know the tradition, he was never a part of the pride here. Even in day 1 I didn't feel the pride in the buffs coming from him.

I know the enthusiasm comes with a new coach, always does, but this feels different.

If grades were and issue why would JE let those players suite up and play in the spring game then cut them after? Why wouldn't he cut them before the game?

Makes it look like if they played well they would still be with the team. Probably not true but is can be perceived that way.

Been hearing that WillJeff was missing conditioning practices and didn't have a good attitude. Just rumors though.

If grades were and issue why would JE let those players suite up and play in the spring game then cut them after? Why wouldn't he cut them before the game?

Makes it look like if they played well they would still be with the team. Probably not true but is can be perceived that way.

Because the new sheriff in town gave them until after the Spring Game to clean up their acts. (?)

Our probable top 4 receivers are all transfers. Happy to have them but not exactly an ideal way to build a team.

Any news on Markques Simas? Supposedly he was in Boulder all of last year and was trying to get back on the team.

Our probable top 4 receivers are all transfers. Happy to have them but not exactly an ideal way to build a team.

Any news on Markques Simas? Supposedly he was in Boulder all of last year and was trying to get back on the team.

If I remember correctly, we took a pass.

It is not ideal, but we have to make due now, although Canty is a likely top 4 WR and was not a transfer. Hopefully this recruiting class helps with this issue in a big way.

Back