What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fowler on Buyout

I think someone else indicated that Fowler can't contribute to the CU AD because of conflict of interest (working at espin). Not sure whether or not that's a fact, but it sure makes a lot of sense.

How is that a conflict of interest? :confused:

He was paid that much to do the job well, not just do the job.

Actually, Hawkins contract includes specific language re: performance obligations - in the form of incentives. If Hawkins wins the Big 12 North - he gets more money. If Hawkins wins the Big 12 Championship - he gets more money. If Hawkins wins the BCS championship - he gets more money.

For the level of pay Hawkins was receiving - there was no language re: the performance level of the team.

Hawkins was paid to be CU's coach. PERIOD.

The fact that CU is having to pay him $3mil to buy out the remainder of the contract shows that HAWKINS performed his obligations under the terms of the contract.

I agree. There is a reason we think those other guys are jokes. I like Fowlers professionalism.

Fowler gets kudos form CFB fans from all over the country mostly for how he projects himself from a position of neutrality when reporting from a CFB game. If you talk to other CFB fans around the country, most of them don't know that Chris is a CU Alum and most of them also think Herbstreet and the rest of that CFB team are a bunch of Bozo's.

Fowler gets kudos form CFB fans from all over the country mostly for how he projects himself from a position of neutrality when reporting from a CFB game. If you talk to other CFB fans around the country, most of them don't know that Chris is a CU Alum and most of them also think Herbstreet and the rest of that CFB team are a bunch of Bozo's.

please post your research paper work solidifying that point :smile2:

He's a ****ing prima donna sell out.

DBT, I have a read a lot of stuff from you about who is and who is not a good CU fan. You certainly set yourself up as a great one. I've said this before about Fowler. I remember seeing him in the 80's on campus when ESPN was broadcasting from CU. You could see the light in his eyes. How proud he was to be in Boulder and how much he loves the Buffs. I've also heard an interview with him where he talked about one of the close games with NU during Barnett's era. When CU lost in the last second, apparently he threw a water bottle across the ESPN studio.

Get off your high horse and stop trying to be the authority of who is and who is not a CU fan. Fowler is a very successful CU grad who still supports the school in the ways he can. Why not be proud of a very successful CU grad?

As to Fowler and his comments during the game. The most telling to me was when he commented in the 4th quarter about how this team was not capable of driving 80 yards for a score. Too many mistakes and miscues. To me it was a very direct commentary on the state of the program.

Actually, Hawkins contract includes specific language re: performance obligations - in the form of incentives. If Hawkins wins the Big 12 North - he gets more money. If Hawkins wins the Big 12 Championship - he gets more money. If Hawkins wins the BCS championship - he gets more money.

For the level of pay Hawkins was receiving - there was no language re: the performance level of the team.

Hawkins was paid to be CU's coach. PERIOD.

The fact that CU is having to pay him $3mil to buy out the remainder of the contract shows that HAWKINS performed his obligations under the terms of the contract.

Ohh, cool, so that means you and I, and who ever else isn't commission based, can go to their jobs and do jack **** from now on and not sweat it. I just signed a two year contract with my employer. Should I tell them I am going to mail it in now, or should I blow smoke up their ass while mailing it in?

I get what you are saying, but that doesn't make it right just because it is in a contract... Then again, that is why he is about to get the boot.

I get what you are saying, but that doesn't make it right just because it is in a contract... Then again, that is why he is about to get the boot.

Exactly. He was paid that much to do the job. If he did the job well, he got to keep it.

Well, in this case he actually got to keep it longer without having had to do it well for very long. But that's another story.... :huh:

Ohh, cool, so that means you and I, and who ever else isn't commission based, can go to their jobs and do jack **** from now on and not sweat it. I just signed a two year contract with my employer. Should I tell them I am going to mail it in now, or should I blow smoke up their ass while mailing it in?

I'm just saying - there is nothing in his contract that specifies, "If you don't win 8 games by year 4, this contract is null and void."

There was nothing in the contract to specify that he had to win a certain number of games. In fact, the language of the contract only specifies incentives for winning, not for losing.

Their roles are completely different. Fowler is not the color commentator. Fowler also covers a LOT more sports than CFB. Fowler is a sports journalist, especially when you consider his background (journalism degree and worked at th CU SID). Holtz and Herbstreit are not journalists, they are only on ESPN t draw the ratings and provide entertainment, look at May and his man crush on Pete Carrol and USC.

Exactly. Fowler is the true sports journalist and basically officiates the shows and broadcasts and the opinions are typically left to the other guys, all former players or coaches with no real journalism background.

He isn't allowed to do what the others do and received a fine education from CU so he knows better, as well. He's a responsible journalist and I, for one, am very proud of that fact. He's a great representative for the University of Colorado.

He's a responsible journalist and I, for one, am very proud of that fact. He's a great representative for the University of Colorado.

Agreed. It's nice to have a respectable alum on the national sports news network. It's too bad that he is the only CU alum working for ESPN* and that CU doesn't have a bigger presence there.

*Note: Noted ***hole RR can go screw. As far as I'm concerned, he is no longer part of the family.

Agreed. It's nice to have a respectable alum on the national sports news network. It's too bad that he is the only CU alum working for ESPN* and that CU doesn't have a bigger presence there.

*Note: Noted ***hole RR can go screw. As far as I'm concerned, he is no longer part of the family.

Yes but what about Jim Gray? :smile2:

I'm just saying - there is nothing in his contract that specifies, "If you don't win 8 games by year 4, this contract is null and void."

There was nothing in the contract to specify that he had to win a certain number of games. In fact, the language of the contract only specifies incentives for winning, not for losing.
Well **** maybe the next contract should! Year One - 4 Wins, year 2 - 6 wins, year 3 - 8 wins. No wins = No paycheck!

Well **** maybe the next contract should! Year One - 4 Wins, year 2 - 6 wins, year 3 - 8 wins. No wins = No paycheck!

Good luck getting ANY coach to agree to that.

I actually think incentive based contracts are a good thing. Win 8 games, make more money. Win 9 games, more money. 10 games, more money still. It would be a win-win for both the coach and the school.

Of course, they would have to make the bonus worthwhile. 8 wins = $100k bonus. 9 wins = $250k bonus. Etc.

I actually think incentive based contracts are a good thing. Win 8 games, make more money. Win 9 games, more money. 10 games, more money still. It would be a win-win for both the coach and the school.

Of course, they would have to make the bonus worthwhile. 8 wins = $100k bonus. 9 wins = $250k bonus. Etc.
OK mine was a little over the top, but you get what I meant! I agree with you I think that would be a great idea.

I agree. Wasn't it the movie "Wall Street" where they said "Greed is good"? I really believe that -- the desire for more money = more liberty (freedom) and the desire to work hard to better yourself. I'd go for that.

This thread went to **** far to fast:sad1:. Fowler is a damn decent CFB guy and I am glad he has stayed objective. On to the true topic at hand. I truly hope Hawkins is gone soon. I am not happy this has happened but it is truly necessary.

What the hell was I thinking? :huh: I can't believe I typed that. Sorry.

DBT you are a great Buff fan and I truly hope you understand that I mean that , but lately you have been off the ****in rails in regards to what must be done for this team to once again be what it should be.

DBT you are a great Buff fan and I truly hope you understand that I mean that , but lately you have been off the ****in rails in regards to what must be done for this team to once again be what it should be.

I think after the season and last few years we have experienced, we are all entitled to that to some extent. DBT seems to be making up for some though. :smile:

Back