What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fresno State

Well...take a closer look:

..........1st 2nd 3rd 4th
Cal Poly 0 0 10 15

Fresno St 10 24 7 0

34-0 at the half! Yikes.

If we play with no to few errors, we have a chance. Don't think we can beat them playing as sloppily and one dimensionally on offense as we did tonight.

Plusses for us: grudge match and in Boulder.

Apparently, Fresno put in their backups in the 2nd half of the Cal Poly game. I wouldn't read too much into the final score.

Here's a link to one of their message boards. I have no idea why every opposing fan finds that rotting carcass of a website (Netbuffs), but they never link here.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=164&f=1686

People talk about Spruce, DD, McCullough and some of the freshman as being the compliments to our best WR core in years. I always want to ask how that means anything at all? Our WR core has been awful for the entire time I've been in Boulder. The PRich year with Clemons as a Senior was ok, but not exactly "4 wide". Fresno State and Utah State have 3-4 guys on the field who can flat out ball all night, including subs. We are not there. As you stated, we got one really good guy and then we are looking at some adequate guys who probably aren't playing on Sundays.... (and hopefully some ballers who will redshirt, but that mostly remains to be seen).

WR is not a strength at CU, even if it's better than past years on average.

???

Out of curiosity how well does Fresno St. travel? There weren't that many UCA fans yesterday, granted they are still expanding their fan base.

Out of curiosity how well does Fresno St. travel? There weren't that many UCA fans yesterday, granted they are still expanding their fan base.
We won't travel too well to CU. Beyond reasonable driving distance.

Now, to the game and some advance info/questions....
Do you guys have issues with punt return coverage? It sort of looked like it against CSU. Isaiah Burse finally learned how to return punts, housed two yesterday and would have had another TD against Rutgers if Ejiro Ederaine hadn't derped it up and ran straight into him.

Carr is healthy now so he can scramble and roll out...and he is a lot faster than you'd expect for a QB. Davante Adams is just ridiculous....best WR we've had since Henry Ellard. Absolute monster on the endzone fade. Josh Harper is back from his injury last year...he's not Adams but he's a pretty darn good WR. The OL is better in pass protection than last year but run blocking isn't quite there...I wish the coaching staff would stick with Walle at RB, he runs so much better than Quezada.

DL is the same guys as last year. Tyeler Davison is a stud at NT but you might see him kick out to DE and Maurice Poyadue come in every so often. We have a couple new LB starters....they're acquitting themselves pretty well. Nat Harrison and Donavon Lewis are the OLBs with Eideraine rotating in. Same thing at ILB. Mickelsen, Wilson, and Toma are rotating there; Toma started last year. Not sure of the secondary beyond LJ Jones and Derron Smith right now. Charles Washington replaces Phillip thomas at SS. A bit smaller but really, really fast. CB Curtis Riley has great raw athleticism but is still pretty green.

Should be a good game.

Any other questions, shoot.

Last edited:

Do you guys have issues with punt return coverage? It sort of looked like it against CSU. Isaiah Burse finally learned how to return punts, housed two yesterday and would have had another TD against Rutgers if Ejiro Ederaine hadn't derped it up and ran straight into him.

Carr is healthy now so he can scramble and roll out...and he is a lot faster than you'd expect for a QB. Davante Adams is just ridiculous....best WR we've had since Henry Ellard. Absolute monster on the endzone fade. Josh Harper is back from his injury last year...he's not Adams but he's a pretty darn good WR. The OL is better in pass protection than last year but run blocking isn't quite there...I wish the coaching staff would stick with Walle at RB, he runs so much better than Quezada.

DL is the same guys as last year. Tyeler Davison is a stud at NT but you might see him kick out to DE and Maurice Poyadue come in every so often. We have a couple new LB starters....they're acquitting themselves pretty well. Nat Harrison and Donavon Lewis are the OLBs with Eideraine rotating in. Same thing at ILB. Mickelsen, Wilson, and Toma are rotating there; Toma started last year. Not sure of the secondary beyond LJ Jones and Derron Smith right now. Charles Washington replaces Phillip thomas at SS. A bit smaller but really, really fast. CB Curtis Riley has great raw athleticism but is still pretty green.

Should be a good game.

Will you guys be implementing a mercy rule this year? :)

No, I do think this is going to be a very competitive game. CU has it's first 2-0 start in several years and is starting to believe. We have maybe the best receiver in the country this year and a QB with some pretty serious talent too. Running game sucks and probably won't be much better. D is playing night and day compared to last year and is starting to play with some swagger and get turnovers.

On top of it you have a revenge factor for our players who were thoroughly embarrassed last year and we should have a relatively raucous crowd.

Having said that, I would be surprised (and I am one of our most outspoken Kool-Aid drinkers at AB) if CU wins this game. Fresno State is more polished and is truthfully a better team right now. But it could be close and may come down to who wins the turnover battle and/or if CU can flip the switch on the return game (Yes we have MAJOR problems with our return coverage-both punting and kickoff).

Go Buffs.

Apparently, Fresno put in their backups in the 2nd half of the Cal Poly game. I wouldn't read too much into the final score.

Here's a link to one of their message boards. I have no idea why every opposing fan finds that rotting carcass of a website (Netbuffs), but they never link here.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=164&f=1686

That was probably me posting on Net, I couldn't get logged in over here.....But as you can see its working now.....

BTW-As was posted above, it is correct the coach pulled the entire starting O and D for most of the 2nd half......I dont think Cal Poly would have had 100 total yards if we played 4 qtrs. Even in the first half the coaches were running all kinds of different stuff, looking at different backs, tried a 50 yard FG, ran a hook and ladder with an O linemen, (that was highlight material) ran a couple of punts back for TD's........It was a very interesting game....Not sure what you could take from it other then the team Col will be playing played in the first half.....34-0 CP had 40 total O yards....

Should be a good game.

No further questions. Wow, impressive! And last year was admittedly a beat down. But we do have some changes since last year. No doubt they pale to your highlights listed above.

How did it work out last time you played coach Mac? I know San Jose only won one game the
previous year and it was the last game of 2011 so you probably crushed him right?

Should be a good game.

Any other questions, shoot.[/QUOTE

No further questions. Wow, impressive! And last year was admittedly a beat down. But we do have some changes since last year. No doubt they pale to your highlights listed above.

How did it work out last time you played coach Mac? I know San Jose only won one game the
previous year and it was the last game of 2011 so you probably crushed him right?

You know that was Pat Hills last year where we were pulling fans out of the stands to play DB/defense (lol), so Id have to look because SJSU does have 1 win against the Dogs in the last 20 or so years, so that could be it....Not sure.....Pretty much everyone beat is that year, I think even NMSU beat us.......It was brutal cost Hill his job....

But this is a completely different team, completely different O and D scheme and different coach then when Mac played us......This will be the first time are HC has faced Mac or SJSU for that matter.

I would say if you want to play a team similar in scheme to the old Dogs, you just did......CSU.....Thier HC was our OC before he went to Bama and a lot of our old staff is now with the RAMs'......They just don't have the recruits yet to be real competitive.....

Last edited:
I am sensing a trend here. I like when our upcoming opponents' fans come to AB and shed light on what's up with their program-and their not trolls about it.

But what is almost humorous is the all come here and appear completely biased and apparently have a hard time finding weaknesses in their team. You'd have thought reading the comments from CA fans that they were ready to make the leap to BCS before our game.

I know Fresno State is a damn good team, and odds are they will beat us on Saturday. But they have their warts although none of us probably know what they are.

You guys say we would be the same on our opponents boards but I don't think so. If I went to the Fresno board I would say:
1.) We sucked donkey d*k last year, but we are under new leadership and clearly headed in the right direction
2.) We beat 2 bad/OK teams so far so we can't brag too much about being 2-0
3.) PRich is an All-American caliber WR. We have others that complement him, and our QB has major potential that he appears to be realizing finally
4.) Our running game is terrible and our OL is only OK
5.) OUr defense appears to be turning a corner and turning up the heat. They could be the real deal as this season progresses.
6.) Our kickers are pretty good except for kickoffs and our return coverage is among the worst in the BCS

I would say our safeties are slow and our D-line can't get pressure.

Because we are rushing four by design to contain mobile quarterbacks, something we couldn't do worth a **** the past two years. The DL has been stout against the run and the corners and backers have played very well thus far. I'm really not concerned with the DL at this point, everything has been pretty vanilla on both sides.

You know that was Pat Hills last year where we were pulling fans out of the stands to play DB/defense (lol), so Id have to look because SJSU does have 1 win against the Dogs in the last 20 or so years, so that could be it....Not sure.....Pretty much everyone beat is that year, I think even NMSU beat us.......It was brutal cost Hill his job....

But this is a completely different team, completely different O and D scheme and different coach then when Mac played us......This will be the first time are HC has faced Mac or SJSU for that matter.

I would say if you want to play a team similar in scheme to the old Dogs, you just did......CSU.....Thier HC was our OC before he went to Bama and a lot of our old staff is now with the RAMs'......They just don't have the recruits yet to be real competitive.....

Heres some first half footage of the Dogs against Cal Poly....Are weakness is our QB and WR's.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8AZPBwJ_ZA

Because we are rushing four by design to contain mobile quarterbacks, something we couldn't do worth a **** the past two years. The DL has been stout against the run and the corners and backers have played very well thus far. I'm really not concerned with the DL at this point, everything has been pretty vanilla on both sides.

Good lines can get pressure with a four man rush.

Fresno presents with a terrific opportunity. It's a chance to build on what we've accomplished so far. It's a chance to take the next step. There will be other opportunities, but this is a game that, if we win, we will start to change people's ideas about what CU football is all about.

I have no problems at all with how our defense has played thus far, but I think those are the two worst offenses we'll see all year. Well, at least until we play $C.

I expected a win against CSU and would have been pissed if we lost to UCA. This game's different, though. Fresno is light years better than either team we've played. I think it's possible that we win, if our defense continues to control the run, our run game shows signs of life, Wood gets time to hit our open receivers, and we stop making stupid mistakes. ****, that's a lot. Still, it's possible.

Question for Bulldogs: What's the status of DBs Curtis Riley and Rodney Matthews? Both left the game last week with injuries. Are they full go for Saturday? If not, it seems like a thin secondary will be extra thin, and possibly something for the Buffs to exploit.

Question for Bulldogs: What's the status of DBs Curtis Riley and Rodney Matthews? Both left the game last week with injuries. Are they full go for Saturday? If not, it seems like a thin secondary will be extra thin, and possibly something for the Buffs to exploit.
Mathews was our backup FS...at the very least he tore his ACL, could be worse. Riley I think should be good to go.

I have no problems at all with how our defense has played thus far, but I think those are the two worst offenses we'll see all year. Well, at least until we play $C.

Nothing "worst" about C. Ark........Smothers and his receivers were the real deal. Highly ranked, their team was well-coached and had the whole fall camp to prepare for the Buffs and it was their "Super Bowl" even more than the RMS is Aggie's SB. (I think it is very safe to assume Incarnate Word was a glorified tune-up scrimmage for the Bears.) Aggie? Now that is a different deal, but again they aren't "worst" as a whole, either.

But then, neither team has lil' bro' Carr at QB. Kid has a rifle and his WRs are fast. Sounds like a challenge that MM is relishing.

We should be able to score on them. They have given up over 100 more yards through the air than we have and over twice as many rushing yards.
We're just two games in but I am going to savor the fact that we are #17 in the nation against the rush even if only for one week. Feels good.
I saw a post yesterday that suggested Saturdays win wasn't as much about the coaching as it was a couple of big plays - the staff must be doing something right. Thus far I am pleasantly surprised with this years Buffs. GO BUFFS, BEAT FRESNO ST.

We should be able to score on them. They have given up over 100 more yards through the air than we have and over twice as many rushing yards.
We're just two games in but I am going to savor the fact that we are #17 in the nation against the rush even if only for one week. Feels good.
I saw a post yesterday that suggested Saturdays win wasn't as much about the coaching as it was a couple of big plays - the staff must be doing something right. Thus far I am pleasantly surprised with this years Buffs. GO BUFFS, BEAT FRESNO ST.
Yes. See original post

From now on, we are playing much better teams (although I'd like to think CAU was better than people think). We have seen competent play from the O and D (vast improvement from last year). If we are going to beat teams like Fresno and the rest of PAC teams on our schedule, our offensive line and running backs need to improve significantly. We need to be able to run the ball and have more reliable pass protection. We also need improved special teams play, but I will take one step at a time.

Back