What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Friday Beer Post: 2011 Gameday Beer-o-the-week - tOSU Edition

RSSBot

News Junkie
Each week throughout the football season I'm going to suggest a good beer for the ubiquitous pre-game tailgate. Let's be honest, with tailgates it's not always top quality that you're looking for. To steal a phrase from the heinous beer terrorists at Budweiser, you want "drinkability." (or what a real beer connoisseur calls "a session beer") So, be warned, these may not be "the best" beers around. But, in the words of Dave Chappelle as Samuel L. Jackson "IT'LL GET YOU DRUNK!"

As far as I know, there are no breweries in the state of Ohio that produce a beer that is widely available in Colorado. This creates a problem for me when trying to pick an appropriate beer to have when CU is playing THE Ohio State University. So, please, excuse me as I go a little outside the box on this one.

A Buckeye, for those of you who aren't familiar with America's lamest mascot, is a nut grown from the American buckeye tree, which also happens to be the state tree of Ohio. The nut itself is mildly poisonous, and was used by pioneers in the tanning of leather. It makes for a very underwhelming mascot.
Fearsome looking, I know.
Since Ohio has a limited brewing culture, and their nut mascot is all I can latch onto, I decided to "hop across the pond" to tab an English Brown Ale, which are widely known for their "nutty" flavor. My favorite of this variety is not only well-known and widely available, but also quite tasty. I'm naming Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale as my tailgate beer-o-the-week.

After going with the exceedingly average last week, this week I've tabbed quality. Sammy Smith's Nut Brown is a darn good beer, and one that allows you to feel haughty and cultured just by displaying it at your watch-party.

Expectantly toasty and nutty-sweet, the beer ends with a contrasting bitterness on the finish. While malty, it doesn't taste heavy, and you can have more than one without feeling weighed down in suds. As with most English ales, it is probably best consumed after it has warmed up a bit out of the fridge. If you're looking for something different, I suggest buying a few of the 550ml bottles for your tailgate; you won't be sorry.

Happy Friday! Go Buffs, Beat the Buckeyes!
8030839680057503187-1793253789679030541

YT2YjuRNupE

More...

Nice recommendation as a fall back.

My beer recommendation is Howling Monkey
6a00d8354704f253ef0120a6ea844d970b-500wi.jpg

CU has a monkey problem. Here is a six pack of monkeys on CU's back.

-19 game losing skid outside the state of Colorado.

- "East of the Mississippi" curse resulting in .371 winning percentage

- Last game in Ohio was the Toledo ****ing Rockets

- Ohio State owns scoreboard for series record (1-3) and last meeting ('86 @ Columbus OSU 13- CU 10)

- tOSU didn't even sniff Rodney Stewart as a recruit.

- Former CU president Gordon Gee left Boulder for Columbus

The Buffs are 16 1/2 point underdogs, which is the betting world's way of saying "CU might win and monkeys might fly out of my ass."

Well...there is a decidedly better chance of having those monkeys getting off your back and come flying out of your ass with a bellyful of this rare beer, which hasn't been brewed since 2008.

I totally looked up that howling monkey beer and I found it is not being manufactured anymore but nice try skid

Back