What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future Non-Conference Schedule

Don't understand why people are surprised that 'tini sets his sights low...

BTW, one reason you need stronger comp is the BCS formula. You do want to play in BCS games and maybe for the MNC, yes?

Don't understand why people are surprised that 'tini sets his sights low...

BTW, one reason you need stronger comp is the BCS formula. You do want to play in BCS games and maybe for the MNC, yes?

Last I checked, Colorado playing in a BCS game has little to do with schedule as they are guaranteed a spot if they win the conference. Oregon got in last year playing what to me is the perfect non-conference schedule. Cupcake(Portland State), mid-major(New Mexico), and BCS opponent(Tennessee). Now take an even closer look: they played a 1-AA team, arguably the worst 1-A team(1-11) in the country and a very mediocre SEC team(7-6) and played for the national championship. That is an incredibly weak SOS. So explain to me again why stronger competition is necessary when I've just proven with facts that it is not.

I don't disagree with ya BuffedUp. I like the formula -- one cupcake, one middlin team from somewhereville, and one BCS level opponent.

Unfortunately, a cupcake and a middlin prolly won't put butts in Folsom seats. Been that way a long time. We're likely to see the same type of scheduling we've seen for quite a while.

I don't disagree with ya BuffedUp. I like the formula -- one cupcake, one middlin team from somewhereville, and one BCS level opponent.

Unfortunately, a cupcake and a middlin prolly won't put butts in Folsom seats. Been that way a long time. We're likely to see the same type of scheduling we've seen for quite a while.

Consistent winning coupled with a good marketing effort is what will put fannies in the seats. Relying on the opponent to sell CU games is a culture we need to put behind us. If we have to deal with losing 10k+ sold tickets a year for several years in order to set the stage for long-term health, it's a deal we need to make. Fortunately, unprecedented revenues from the conference kick in beginning with the 2012 season so we can absorb some short-term pain.

Consistent winning coupled with a good marketing effort is what will put fannies in the seats. Relying on the opponent to sell CU games is a culture we need to put behind us. If we have to deal with losing 10k+ sold tickets a year for several years in order to set the stage for long-term health, it's a deal we need to make. Fortunately, unprecedented revenues from the conference kick in beginning with the 2012 season so we can absorb some short-term pain.

Yes - while rebuilding, give me an OOC that gets CU bowl eligible despite going 4-5 (or maybe even 3-6) in the Pac. I love the big games and tough OOC as much as anyone, but a CU squad appearing in bowl games sooner rather than later will do just as much, if not more, for putting butts in the seats as top notch OOC opponents that contribute to losing seasons at this point

Unfortunately, a cupcake and a middlin prolly won't put butts in Folsom seats.

Consistent winning coupled with a good marketing effort is what will put fannies in the seats. Relying on the opponent to sell CU games is a culture we need to put behind us. If we have to deal with losing 10k+ sold tickets a year for several years in order to set the stage for long-term health, it's a deal we need to make.

Guys, we don't have to rely on an attractive opponent or a having a succesfull team to fill up Folsom, all we have to rely on is post game fireworks! Hell we don't even need to play the game, the fireworks will fill the stadium by themselves. Boulderites may not care for football, but they love those chinese pyrotechnics.

fireworks.jpg

Agree 100%. Particularly the part in bold. There are a lot of schools that we could get in here that would be just fine and would probably get us a solid win. Utah State, Weber, Idaho, NMSU, UNM, UNC, Wyoming. These are the schools we need to be in contact with to ensure we're getting 6 true home games in odd years.

Agree 100%. Particularly the part in bold. There are a lot of schools that we could get in here that would be just fine and would probably get us a solid win. Utah State, Weber, Idaho, NMSU, UNM, UNC, Wyoming. These are the schools we need to be in contact with to ensure we're getting 6 true home games in odd years.

I'd also be very much in favor of building AD relations with these regional schools for hoops purposes. Utah State (great fun, Stew Morrill has good teams), Weber has some tradition, UNM (home-home at the Pit), UNC (off the table until Tad's kids graduate up there), Wyo....could be some decent non-rpi killing matchups. some decent and winnable roadies to get ready for conference play. we get what we want on one side of the AD, and they get a football pay day in Folsom while we are winning OOC games and showing revenue at home. maybe these teams will travel well to Boulder. We sellout, local merchants make some cheese, too.

Last edited:
We get it. ****ing man up and stop being such a whiney pussy.
**** you. I'm not the only one that said we didn't need to have these tough ass schedules just so that we could put asses in the seats but funny that you would only quote my post and not the others.

**** you. I'm not the only one that said we didn't need to have these tough ass schedules just so that we could put asses in the seats but funny that you would only quote my post and not the others.

It's not just about butts in seats...it's about football entertainment value. For someone like yourself who has not missed a home game since 1997, certainly you could be able to appreciate the excitement of a big game.

While W's are important, so is keeping the fans happy.

I for one would be disappointed if CU opted to cheat it's fans from having the opportunity to play on some of the more exciting campuses around the nation.

The A/B/C OOC format works fine. No one is saying schedule A/A/A.

There's nothing wrong with picking which A level teams CU should play based upon entertainment value.

Plus I expect CU to be competitive no matter where they play. That's why those coaches make the big bucks.

It's not just about butts in seats...it's about football entertainment value. For someone like yourself who has not missed a home game since 1997, certainly you could be able to appreciate the excitement of a big game.

I for one would be disappointed if CU opted to cheat it's fans from having the opportunity to play on some of the more exciting campuses around the nation.

There's nothing wrong with picking which A level teams CU should play based upon entertainment value.

Plus I expect CU to be competitive no matter where they play. That's why those coaches make the big bucks.

Except for the fact that CU's last two coaches have been paid like C-level coaches. Embree is getting a whopping $750,000 a year to coach the Buffs. That salary puts him at 11th in the Pac-12, I believe - only Washington State's head coach is paid less. (Not sure what Stanford is paying Shaw)

Except for the fact that CU's last two coaches have been paid like C-level coaches. Embree is getting a whopping $750,000 a year to coach the Buffs. That salary puts him at 11th in the Pac-12, I believe - only Washington State's head coach is paid less. (Not sure what Stanford is paying Shaw)
Yeah, but the other half of that salary is in scenery.

Did you consider Georgia or West Virginia to be the A game?

The A/B/C formula works fine for me just so long as we get six true home games every year. If they have to do some scheduling gymnastics in order to accommodate the "A" game home/home schedule, it gets a lot more challenging. It will be easier once we can ditch the CSU game at Invesco, but we're stuck with that for another 8 years.

Oh I was under the impression that your A games were games against LSU/OSU/FSU/Bama/UF etc. The UGA and WVU games were a lot of fun at home.

Again, the A games I'd like to see over the next twenty years are:

Army
Virginia
Iowa
Ole Miss
Tennessee
South Carolina
Notre Dame
Penn State
Alabama
LSU.

I've attempted to sequence them in such a way to allow CU to get it's act together, with the easier games earlier and the harder games later.

Each team was selected because of the famed game-day experience. Recruitment was not a factor. I've avoided schools CU has played in recent years during regular season. I've had enough of the B12, so leave them off.

I've heard CU is most like Berkeley, Austin, UVA, and Madison in terms of the college vibe. CU can check off 3 of those 4. Gotta get to Virginia.

I've heard lots of good stories about tailgating at LSU, Ole Miss and Bama. Tennessee and S.Carolina sound fun, too.

Notre Dame, Penn State and Army are just hollowed grounds, kind of like playing between the Hedges in Athens and playing at the 'Shoe.

I'd expect CU to be competitive in all those places and I'd sure rather suffer a loss in any of those places over somewhere like Toledo or Fresno.

Speaking of Army - we talk about having a beautiful campus in Boulder, but in all honesty, Army has us beat by a mile. West Point is breathtaking. The whole campus sits on the side of a hill that overlooks the Hudson River. I can't imagine what it's like in the Winter, but in the Fall, there's probably no more picturesque spot in the country. There's no "town" to speak of, though. There's a small business district that occupies about a half mile of road leading into the academy.
I'd totally go to West Point for a football game.

Again, the A games I'd like to see over the next twenty years are:

Army
Virginia
Iowa
Ole Miss
Tennessee
South Carolina
Notre Dame
Penn State
Alabama
LSU.

I've attempted to sequence them in such a way to allow CU to get it's act together, with the easier games earlier and the harder games later.

Each team was selected because of the famed game-day experience. Recruitment was not a factor. I've avoided schools CU has played in recent years during regular season. I've had enough of the B12, so leave them off.

I've heard CU is most like Berkeley, Austin, UVA, and Madison in terms of the college vibe. CU can check off 3 of those 4. Gotta get to Virginia.

I've heard lots of good stories about tailgating at LSU, Ole Miss and Bama. Tennessee and S.Carolina sound fun, too.

Notre Dame, Penn State and Army are just hollowed grounds, kind of like playing between the Hedges in Athens and playing at the 'Shoe.

I'd expect CU to be competitive in all those places and I'd sure rather suffer a loss in any of those places over somewhere like Toledo or Fresno.

Yes, you do. Charlottesville native here. Charlottesville is so much like Boulder I sometimes get confused, especially when on the "Downtown Mall". It's even got the mountains thing - nestled right up against the Blue Ridge. UVA is a beautiful campus, they don't believe me when I tell them CU's is superior, but I had multiple UVA students visit me while at CU and they all finally admitted it. Scott Stadium (61,500) is a great place to catch a game. If CU were to play a VA team, in terms of a great setting, there's simply no comparison between UVA and VT. Blacksburg is essentially a cowtown, sh*thole - think Manhattan, KS.

Speaking of Army - we talk about having a beautiful campus in Boulder, but in all honesty, Army has us beat by a mile. West Point is breathtaking. The whole campus sits on the side of a hill that overlooks the Hudson River. I can't imagine what it's like in the Winter, but in the Fall, there's probably no more picturesque spot in the country. There's no "town" to speak of, though. There's a small business district that occupies about a half mile of road leading into the academy.
I'd totally go to West Point for a football game.

I'd prefer CU at West Point over CU in NYC. Keep the game on campus. Army must be spectacular at it's autumn peak.

a6cd0af1-57c1-6601.jpg

I would be interested in playing Army at Yankee Stadium, however, for a bowl game. NYC for the holidays sounds good.

In terms of SEC, Knoxville and Columbia are obviously great atmospheres, but Bama, Ole Miss and LSU have far superior campuses. Bama's Bryant Denny literally towers over the campus, as does LSU's Death Valley. With South Carolina, tailgating is great on the SC fairgrounds, but Williams-Brice is a good mile or two off campus. Of course, the Buffs could actually win at South Carolina, Ole Miss (or Tenn in current form). All so hypothetical, but it's mid-July, ain't got nothing else to talk about..

don't laugh, that's how CU sells it's faculty salaries. sure, you may not be getting paid what you might get at a peer institution....and the cost of living is high....but, hey!, look at all THIS!

Wow... That's sort of like how my old law firm used to claim a "perk" for associate attorneys was that we could use the lead partner's Branson, Missouri condo on certain weekends. Of course they didn't give us any travel money or money to spend IN Branson - but getting to stay in that condo - boy what a fringe benefit!

In terms of SEC, Knoxville and Columbia are obviously great atmospheres, but Bama, Ole Miss and LSU have far superior campuses. Bama's Bryant Denny literally towers over the campus, as does LSU's Death Valley. With South Carolina, tailgating is great on the SC fairgrounds, but Williams-Brice is a good mile or two off campus. Of course, the Buffs could actually win at South Carolina, Ole Miss (or Tenn in current form). All so hypothetical, but it's mid-July, ain't got nothing else to talk about..

The Grove at Ole Miss is supposed to be one of the more epic tailgating spots around the country.

Back