What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future of football series vs CSU

The neutral game should have been killed with fire when they tore down Mile High.

The first game at Mile High was awesome, because Mile High had the aura and history of its own, which added to it.

The first game at Invesco/SAF sucked. It was the first time I was at that stadium, so it was interesting in its own right, but the NFL and corporate sterility of the stadium killed the atmosphere, and it has regressed from there.

I was more meaning how does doing that assist with $$ issues versus just giving season ticket holders better seats in Denver?

Seats in Denver is not the primary issue; it is a big sticking point, but the primary issue is most CU fans want the series ended altogether. It appears that the ticket swap may be the catalyst to lower attendance enough to end the series early. If so, I'm all for it and hope that a giant number of season ticket holders opt out.

Seats in Denver is not the primary issue; it is a big sticking point, but the primary issue is most CU fans want the series ended altogether. It appears that the ticket swap may be the catalyst to lower attendance enough to end the series early. If so, I'm all for it and hope that a giant number of season ticket holders opt out.

I did not buy season tickets this year because of the CSU game. Problem solved.

Gotcha.

What are the attendance triggers for cancelling the RMS game in Denver? For the long term, CU needs to have that 6th home game every year, especially to sell premium/club seats. Even more so if CU wants to eventually redevelop the Fieldhouse. Donors are just not cool with shelling out big bucks then having games played at a sterile site only 25 miles away (seemingly for the convenience of another school). Folsom is a great college venue and it's not right to play at SAF. In odd years, CU has only 4 P12 games, which means 2 of 3 must be OOC home games to reach six... and that gets really hard to schedule every time when there is a neutral site game forcing 2 of 2 OOC games to be at home to meet 6 home games. It's not easy in even years then because it means CU can't play the road end of a P5 home and home in odd- which then forces that to even years. So with a P5 OOC home and home game, and a CSU neutral site game, CU CANNOT play anyone but FCS teams each and EVERY year to get to 6 home games.

The ability to trade out the CSU game in Denver for home games at Folsom is genius. USC and Oregon come to town this year. Depending on how low the attendance trigger is, this could be the year, unless CSU decided to rig up a way to buy more tickets than they ever have. Do they games revert back to home stadiums if attendance is not met? Or is the series over? Currently, based on who broadcasts the game (Pac12/Fs1 did in 2014), it would seem CU is the home team in even years, which is not optimal for schedule balance should the series just revert back to home stadiums. If it gets blown up, then CU can push to get the home/away years reversed to set up a proper 5/5 balance of yearly games. It will be hard to get a 2 for 1 with any MWC team because it seems the MWC league office has put out a kind of mandate to not play those vs the P12 (though $$ for one off road games is OK).

My best guess on how this will play out: RMS will be played in Denver in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. So we've got 5 years of this. For 2020, CU will pay whatever buyout penalty it has to in order to avoid playing in Fort Collins and make up the money by adding a one-off at a major P5 program (or one of those 1st week neutral site games that can command close to $2 MM per P5 participant).

I think RG just did a public glove slap at CSU to pressure them into reworking the contract. I don't think we'll be playing at Invesco in, say, 2017.

My best guess on how this will play out: RMS will be played in Denver in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. So we've got 5 years of this. For 2020, CU will pay whatever buyout penalty it has to in order to avoid playing in Fort Collins and make up the money by adding a one-off at a major P5 program (or one of those 1st week neutral site games that can command close to $2 MM per P5 participant).

Unless CU can trigger an out from the RMS, I don't see why RG would want to torpedo the game (with the ticket exchange) just for the sake of torpedoing it... and then play it for 4 more years. To say the contract will not be extended is one thing, but by telling CU fans they no longer have to get RMS tickets in the season ticket package that's essentially saying they really should no longer buy RMS tickets and go to games at folsom instead... there has to be the goal of a much quicker endgame to the Denver game.

RG has CSU at his knees. Killing this series will cost CSU millions and everything else that goes with the game. CU loses nothing

No more Invesco tailgates?

I'm actually OK with that if everybody else is. The last three years, I've pretty much only gone to the game just for the tailgates. And while they've been good, they don't compare to the set-up we have in Boulder.

Good for Rick George and CU. Screw CSU; they're JV. If CSU becomes a P5 conf school, then resume the game.

CU needs 7 home games each and every season. No exceptions.

Furthermore, these trips to Hawaii need to STOP!!! It is time to get a formula where we are bowl eligible every year for the next 5 years. Those extra practices pay dividends with developing the team. After they've been bowl eligible for 2 years, then beef up the schedule. Until that happens we should play a non-conf schedule like this:

Pac-12 season with 4 home/5 road: one FCS school (say, Cal Poly), one non-P5 school that isn't a rival (SJSU, UNLV, SDSU) and one P5 school that isn't a championship contender (Kansas, Illinois)
All these games should be played at Folsom.

Pac-12 season with 5 home/4 road: FCS, non P-5 and then pay your P5 opponent a return visit at their house.

Go 3-0 in non-conf; 2-1 at worst and then notch some conf wins and get bowl eligible.

According to ramnation Tony Frank will be making the demands (1 for 1 on campus). If CU doesn't budge they'll just go to Nebraska and get an annual game scheduled instread:lol:

According to ramnation Tony Frank will be making the demands (1 for 1 on campus). If CU doesn't budge they'll just go to Nebraska and get an annual game scheduled instread:lol:

They might get "one" 1-1 from Nebraska. Once. The problem is that Nebraska has the same scheduling issues we have. I'm pretty certain the B1G plays 9 conference games. That really limits what they can do in the OOC. They certainly won't enter into a long term contract with any one school.

Certainly. Tony Frank can play his bluff with RG and demand a 1 for 1 campus setup...and watch RG play the winning hand because he is holding all of the cards.

I would totally prefer it if 0 UC fans showed up to the game so CSU fans could take control of the atmosphere.

I would totally prefer it if 0 UC fans showed up to the game so CSU fans could take control of the atmosphere.
The students will show either way. It's not like the CSU "fans" ever really show up. Basically, all that will happen is it will be a wash. Who cares? IF it achieves the goal, worth it.

I was at the RMS this past season -- I was loud, intoxicated and energetically cheering the Buffs (i.e. doing my part), but I think CSU fans controlled the atmosphere at that game.

I was at the RMS this past season -- I was loud, intoxicated and energetically cheering the Buffs (i.e. doing my part), but I think CSU fans controlled the atmosphere at that game.

and if we were running the ball down their throat it would have been then opposite

Why would Cincinatti Bearcat fans show up in Denver? Are the bengals playing the Broncos the next day? Pretty good bet they won't be there.

We hate this game and we still outsell you year after year. Please explain to me why we need to keep playing you?

They might get "one" 1-1 from Nebraska. Once. The problem is that Nebraska has the same scheduling issues we have. I'm pretty certain the B1G plays 9 conference games. That really limits what they can do in the OOC. They certainly won't enter into a long term contract with any one school.

The days of NU giving one for ones or two for ones to people like Wyoming and CSU are over. The B1G is going to 9 conference games. Sacky, you forget that NU loves playing people like South Alabama, Troy, Northern Illinois, and Akron OOC and will do so as much as they possibly can. Schools like CSU are relegated to getting the likes of Minnesota and Wazzu to come play at their place if they want 1-1.....NU is still big enough to where they can force CSU to play in Lincoln only after 2016.

If Tony Frank wants to play hardball with this he is going to lose and lose a lot. He isn't getting a 1 for 1 contract with CU in the future, not happening. The idea of him getting a one for one with a school like Nebraska is absolutely laughable.

The idea that Nebraska would travel to Ft. Collins to play in a 35k seat stadium when they could play a directional at home and sell 80,000+ is ridiculous. With their scheduling issues as mentioned above somebody is going to have to make it very much worth their while just to get them out of stinkoln.

CSU needs CU much more than CU needs them. The CU game is the one game that animates the CSU fanbase, for the casual fans the CU game is more important that any league games or even how they do in the league, it becomes the measure of their season.

It is also the one game that can get the fans out to a shiny new stadium. They may want a one for one but if they are getting CU there it will be in exchange for at least two in Boulder.

RGs announcement of the change in season ticket policy goes straight to this issue. I think the logical outcome will be that after a couple of seasons below the attendance threshold in Denver RG calls Ft. Collins and says we would rather play an FCS school at home. If CSU is stubborn the contract is voided, if CSU realizes the money involved for them they agree to at least a 2 for 1 in home games with one of their home games being the season they open the new stadium.

Either way CSU then has to get very generous in order to keep the series going after 2020.

The days of NU giving one for ones or two for ones to people like Wyoming and CSU are over. The B1G is going to 9 conference games. Sacky, you forget that NU loves playing people like South Alabama, Troy, Northern Illinois, and Akron OOC and will do so as much as they possibly can. Schools like CSU are relegated to getting the likes of Minnesota and Wazzu to come play at their place if they want 1-1.....NU is still big enough to where they can force CSU to play in Lincoln only after 2016.

Even Minnesota and Wazzu are facing the same pressures. They aren't going to go 1 for 1 either. They don't make money going to Ft. Collins and CSU doesn't draw a substantially bigger crowd for them at home than a MAC school or a Big Sky school would.

Stupid for Nubs to schedule the mighty NIU Huskies. That's no gimme game, and they know it. Including NIU to make your point doesn't help.

CSEwe should be excited to see an end to this series. Maybe the CSU fans in Denver can attend their one game of the season in Ft. Fun instead of at Invesco, that should boost the attendance at the new state-of-the-art stadium.

Back