What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future of NCAA skiing in jeopardy

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Due to budget issues, we've seen schools like UMass, Nevada, Wyoming, Boise State, Colorado State and Utah State all drop skiing as varsity sports. Now New Mexico's program is in trouble.

UNM made an announcement that it would drop its ski teams in April: http://fasterskier.com/fsarticle/university-new-mexico-cuts-ski-program/

Since then, donors stepped up and have saved it for at least a year:

Less than one month after the University of New Mexico announced it would be discontinuing its 25 member ski team as a cost-cutting measure, an outpouring of community support, and more importantly financial contributions, led acting president Chaouki Abdallah to announce Thursday the team is back.

Well, at least for one more year while the team, university and the state’s interested ski community works on a long-term private funding model that would allow the program to stick in an athletic department facing financial hardships.

University of Colorado ski coach Richard Rokos, whose team competes in the Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Ski Association with the Lobos, praised the decision and suggested it is a wake-up call for the sport.

“Losing New Mexico could have a snowball effect to take us all out,” Rokos said in a statement CU’s ski team released. “I think this one sent a pretty clear message that if we stay together, we will fight it together and support each other and that’s what helped us here.”

Very troubling. This is a pretty expensive sport with lots of travel, costly venues, and almost nothing in terms of revenue generation. The only university ADs that can really support it would be the big schools, but it's not like Washington and others are looking to make a commitment. Instead, it seems to be smaller schools that have skiing as part of the culture like DU and Vermont that are committed to funding the sport. How long can this last as an NCAA varsity sport?

There are lots of things conspiring to hurt skiing as a college sport:

1. Competing in college is generally detrimental to future competitive success (nowhere near as much practice time as the junior world cup series).
2. Related to the above, NCAA prohibitions on athletes accepting sponsors keeps the most promising prospects out: they could somewhat make up for the lack of practice time if they could compete outside of the NCAA season, but that requires sponsors.
3. The NCAA does not sponsor the exciting events. No freestyle events at all. They don't even sponsor the exciting alpine events: no downhill and no super-g. There are 4 events in total that the NCAA sponsors: slalom, giant slalom, a 5K cross-country race and a 15K cross-country race. None of those races are very exciting to watch, and the cross-country races are downright boring.

I don't think it's worth being a varsity sport. It does add to the "culture" of a school, like you say Nik. It's better as a club sport/organization, along with the freestyle, bicycle racing, triathlon, etc.

I'd rather the money be spent on ice hockey for men and women, e.g., which could be better managed in terms of organizational cost and even a little revenue.

And I'm passionate about skiing and very proud of CU's skiing heritage.

If the NCAA dropped skiing as a varsity sport and with CU at the minimum, there could be big consequences for CU. We would have to add sports to take up the slack, I'd think.

If the NCAA dropped skiing as a varsity sport and with CU at the minimum, there could be big consequences for CU. We would have to add sports to take up the slack, I'd think.
I would expect we have the same # of men's and women's scholarships for skiing, so it would be a net neutral drop

Because of my memory, don't hold me to it, but I seem to remember when CU joined the Pac 12, they were below the number of sports required by the conference, but they were obviously allowed to join. If skiing was dropped, I'd assume they would need to add something immediately to keep within conference rules (again if my memory is close to accurate).

If Skiing was no longer an NCAA varsity sport, CU would have to add sports to remain an FBS football participant (see bold in #1 below from the NCAA bylaws).

CU Varsity sports:
  1. M - Basketball
  2. M - Cross Country
  3. M - Football
  4. M - Golf
  5. M - Skiing
  6. M - Track & Field
  7. W - Basketball
  8. W - Cross Country
  9. W - Golf
  10. W - Lacrosse
  11. W - Skiing
  12. W - Soccer
  13. W - Tennis
  14. W - Track & Field
  15. W - Volleyball
We're already not in compliance. CU's such a mess on this stuff.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Football Bowl Subqa 12 8 14.pdf
Football Bowl Subdivision Requirements An institution classified in Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) shall meet all the Division I membership requirements set forth in NCAA Division I Bylaw 20.9.9 and in addition, shall:

1. Sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20. Sponsorship shall include a minimum six sports involving all male teams or mixed teams (males and females), and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate teams involving all female teams. Institutions may use up to two emerging sports to satisfy the required eight varsity intercollegiate sports involving all female teams. [Bylaw 20.9.9.1]

2. Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home contests against FBS opponents. [Bylaw 20.9.9.2]

3. Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.9.3]

4. Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall football grants-in-aid per year over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.9.4-(a)]

5. Annually offer a minimum of 200 athletics grants-in-aid or expend at least four million dollars on grants-in-aid to student-athletes in athletics programs. [Bylaw 20.9.9.4-(b)]

Reactions: DBT
If Skiing was no longer an NCAA varsity sport, CU would have to add sports to remain an FBS football participant (see bold in #1 below from the NCAA bylaws).

CU Varsity sports:
  1. M - Basketball
  2. M - Cross Country
  3. M - Football
  4. M - Golf
  5. M - Skiing
  6. M - Track & Field
  7. W - Basketball
  8. W - Cross Country
  9. W - Golf
  10. W - Lacrosse
  11. W - Skiing
  12. W - Soccer
  13. W - Tennis
  14. W - Track & Field
  15. W - Volleyball
We're already not in compliance. CU's such a mess on this stuff.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Football Bowl Subqa 12 8 14.pdf
Football Bowl Subdivision Requirements An institution classified in Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) shall meet all the Division I membership requirements set forth in NCAA Division I Bylaw 20.9.9 and in addition, shall:

1. Sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20. Sponsorship shall include a minimum six sports involving all male teams or mixed teams (males and females), and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate teams involving all female teams. Institutions may use up to two emerging sports to satisfy the required eight varsity intercollegiate sports involving all female teams. [Bylaw 20.9.9.1]

2. Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home contests against FBS opponents. [Bylaw 20.9.9.2]

3. Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.9.3]

4. Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall football grants-in-aid per year over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.9.4-(a)]

5. Annually offer a minimum of 200 athletics grants-in-aid or expend at least four million dollars on grants-in-aid to student-athletes in athletics programs. [Bylaw 20.9.9.4-(b)]
I could see kind of a backlash move by member institutions to get that minimum lowered.

We are at 17 official sports. Indoor track and field counts separately from outdoor. They have distinct NCAA championships. So if skiing is dropped, we would haves to add at least one more, which would probably be a women's sport to keep title ix compliant. We would be at the minimum for men's sports.

Back