What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future of the Big East... basketball only?

UrbanaBuff

For starters, this is purely speculative. I've just been thinking of conference realignments, and I could see this playing out.

So here is the scenario. Assume the SEC expands to 16 by taking at least two ACC teams (FSU, Miami). This brings the ACC down to 10. Let's also assume the ACC also expands to 16 by taking six Big East schools (WV, UConn, Louisville, Cincy, S. Florida, Syracuse). Finally, Notre Dame, Pitt and Rutgers head to the Big Ten.

The Big East is left crippled with only 7 schools, none of which have football. However, they can raid the A-10 and Horizon to form a really impressive basketball-only, East Coast/Midwest conference that may look like this:

Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, St. John's
+
Xavier, Dayton, UMass, St. Joseph's, Rhode Island, Richmond, Butler

Seems reasonable that the Big East could continue to exist in a non-football capacity, although it would obviously diminish them quite a bit as a basketball conference. Big East football has been close to being on life support anyway since they lost Miami and VT. The problem with this whole thought is that I don't think every current Big East football school will end up in the ACC or Big 10, so a few of them could be left without a BCS conference and that could keep the Big East football conference around in a WAC-type capacity.

I actually think there will be less re-alignment than people are projecting.

But that the Big East will split into 2 conferences (one basketball-only).

I don't believe the football conference will have to replace more than 1 member and maybe not even that. I can see a scenario where the Big Tweleven goes to 14 by adding NU, MU and ND.

Back