What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future Quarterback

Not Sure

Sets low bar, barely exceeds it.
Club Member
It just occurred to me that for 2019, QB is pretty well settled for MT. But I suspect he is going to be looking at every guy from Lytle to Evans and doing evaluations on each throughout the season. The 2020 QB will be very much his guy, whoever it ends up being.

The plus side of that is that each of those guys now has a totally clean slate. No preconceived notions regarding their abilities from the new staff. It’s wide open.

It just occurred to me that for 2019, QB is pretty well settled for MT. But I suspect he is going to be looking at every guy from Lytle to Evans and doing evaluations on each throughout the season. The 2020 QB will be very much his guy, whoever it ends up being.

The plus side of that is that each of those guys now has a totally clean slate. No preconceived notions regarding their abilities from the new staff. It’s wide open.

Are you implying that we may actually have a coach who allows a QB other than the starter to actually take a snap and do something other than hand off or take a knee in a real game? What a unique concept to allow a QB the chance to look at some defense other than his own and to have some film on him for evaluation and coaching purposes.

Are you implying that we may actually have a coach who allows a QB other than the starter to actually take a snap and do something other than hand off or take a knee in a real game? What a unique concept to allow a QB the chance to look at some defense other than his own and to have some film on him for evaluation and coaching purposes.
I’m mostly implying that I think the competition for the starting 2020 QB job begins this Spring. I don’t have any idea how MT will handle that competition.

I’m mostly implying that I think the competition for the starting 2020 QB job begins this Spring. I don’t have any idea how MT will handle that competition.
Unfortunately Evans is hurt....but I think the open competition perspective is great for the team and should hone everyone's competitive play.

pro style ?

or

dual threat ?
Tucker said he didn't really worry about. Said he just wants difference makers at every position out of recruiting and he'll fit the schemes to what the players do well. I'm sure that's not completely true and that things will evolve as he gets CU to the point of being a destination program for recruits & he can be more choosey, though.

No thanks.
Agree, I don't want him here either. But part of me wonders if he would try to transfer here because of KD and Laviska, although they only played together one year it might be something he considers.

Agree, I don't want him here either. But part of me wonders if he would try to transfer here because of KD and Laviska, although they only played together one year it might be something he considers.
Why wouldn't we want him here? Am I missing something? Seems like another legit contender to push Montez for the starting job.

Why wouldn't we want him here? Am I missing something? Seems like another legit contender to push Montez for the starting job.

He would sit out this season to transfer, so no pushing of Montez involved.

Why wouldn't we want him here? He's a moodier, less accurate Montez.

He would sit out this season to transfer, so no pushing of Montez involved.

Why wouldn't we want him here? He's a moodier, less accurate Montez.
Ok good point, I was thinking he'd be able to get a medical redshirt but I guess not. He'd only be good to have to push Montez. Best to develop our young QBs that we already have: Lyttle, Stenstrom, Evans.

You and I couldn't agree more on what FHCMM did wrong.

i always respected (and liked) that thing Gary Pinkel did where he gave his backup the first series of the second half. risky i guess but makes some long term sense as far as program building....and if i'm the #2 guy and i know i'm getting live game snaps.....that makes my preparation during the week a lot more meaningful.

edit: maybe it was the 2nd quarter? that might make more sense.

Last edited:
i always respected (and liked) that thing Gary Pinkel did where he gave his backup the first series of the second half. risky i guess but makes some long term sense as far as program building....and if i'm the #2 guy and i know i'm getting live game snaps.....that makes my preparation during the week a lot more meaningful.

edit: maybe it was the 2nd quarter? that might make more sense.

Pinkel wasn't the only coach to do that or something similar.

It's football, sooner or later your starting QB is going to go down. It may just be a few plays, it may be for the season, but the nature of the position is that the back-up is going to get called on.

It is much easier for that back-up and for the rest of the team if everyone has some experience with him being in there. You also don't get the "oh no, our QB is out" response from the team, they know the back-up can run the offense. Maybe not as well as the starter but he can run the offense.

Your mention of keeping his head into his preparation is a good one, as I mentioned it also means that they have some film on him so he can be involved personally in the film work and the coaches can have things to work on with him in practice.

1st team QB pro style, 2nd team dual threat. Be a nice mix up for opposing Ds. Especially if both are competent.

Zero chance. Northwestern is perfect fit for him. High end student. Bright, bright future.

But I do like him. A lot.
Didn't he do something crazy like lead the nation in passing this year? Maybe it was the state...I can't remember...but I can't believe a local kid has zero chance of committing to CU.

Zero chance. Northwestern is perfect fit for him. High end student. Bright, bright future.

But I do like him. A lot.

Have heard about him but know very little.

Do know though that it is very common for kids who grow up in a college town to have very definite ideas about if they want to stay in town for college or if they want to get away. If he has made the decision that he wants to leave Boulder for college that can be almost impossible to change.

Back