What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future Schedules?

This. I said this all offseason, now maybe people will listen. It's not doing us any good to schedule murders row every year.

Tini you're hardly the only one to have been saying this. I've been complaining about it for years. Hate to break it to you, but this isn't your innovative idea. It just becomes all the more clear after we get our ass kicked in the "easy" OOC game.

This. I said this all offseason, now maybe people will listen. It's not doing us any good to schedule murders row every year.

go tell Bohn. He's the one that's clueless.

WE should be playing Northern Colorado this week and then Northern Arizona during the Ohio STate week. We need to buy some ****ing wins so Embree can start rebuilding the program.

go tell Bohn. He's the one that's clueless.

WE should be playing Northern Colorado this week and then Northern Arizona during the Ohio STate week. We need to buy some ****ing wins so Embree can start rebuilding the program.

Not even giving him a chance. Going to Fresno State next year, are you ****ing kidding me?!?!?

Tini you're hardly the only one to have been saying this. I've been complaining about it for years. Hate to break it to you, but this isn't your innovative idea. It just becomes all the more clear after we get our ass kicked in the "easy" OOC game.
I've been saying it all summer, that's what I meant. Sorry I didn't make it clear. I know I'm not the only one saying this but when I said something about it this summer, I just got flamed for going against the CU tradition of anyone, anywhere. Glad to see that I'm not alone though.

Not even giving him a chance. Going to Fresno State next year, are you ****ing kidding me?!?!?

People keep saying its about $$$$$ well guess what? WE are losing money when our team is 3-7 and 40000 are in Folsom in Nov cause nobody wants to watch a losing football team.

playing Ohio State this year is just laughable. Bohn should get kicked in the nuts for it.

I've been saying it all summer, that's what I meant. Sorry I didn't make it clear. I know I'm not the only one saying this but when I said something about it this summer, I just got flamed for going against the CU tradition of anyone, anywhere. Glad to see that I'm not alone though.

Unfortunately Bohn doesn't get the point. We need to get out of this Fresno State game ASAP. I can't see the ambush ass-kicking coming from a mile away. We've got to at least give this staff a chance. I mean even Hawk had some gimme-games (granted he lost one, and almost another) but at least we had Miami (OH), Eastern Washington, etc. Had we not had Miami (OH) to beat up on in '07, and instead had a road game at Penn State or some stupid **** that we'd typically do, we wouldn't have made a bowl game. This program is so starved for wins and confidence, those games are exactly what we need to try and have SOMETHING to build off. People will disagree, but there's more to build off from beating Idaho 41-7 than there is from going to LSU and losing 55-10

Last edited:
I've always been a fan of not filling you non-conference schedule with nothing but directional schools with an FCS one thrown in there. 1 patsy is fine like Bama, OU, Michigan, tOSU, etc. opened with yesterday. This year's schedule is perfect - 1 top notch program, 1 mid-level BCS program, and 2 non-BCS schools. And how does going 3-0 against a patsy schedule make us any better than being 1-2 or 2-1 against better competition? It doesn't.

Yes Snyder did this at KjSU for years but that's not how he got that program from nothing to national prominence, he did it simply by bringing in borderline juco criminal punks.

I've always been a fan of not filling you non-conference schedule with nothing but directional schools with an FCS one thrown in there. 1 patsy is fine like Bama, OU, Michigan, tOSU, etc. opened with yesterday. This year's schedule is perfect - 1 top notch program, 1 mid-level BCS program, and 2 non-BCS schools. And how does going 3-0 against a patsy schedule make us any better than being 1-2 or 2-1 against better competition? It doesn't.

Yes Snyder did this at KjSU for years but that's not how he got that program from nothing to national prominence, he did it simply by bringing in borderline juco criminal punks.

Carolina, I'm not usually in favor of loading it with easy teams, but we've got to be honest about where we're at right now. Playing road games at Hawaii or Fresno State as our "easy" OOC game is simply foolish when we're trying to rebuild like this. How does going 3-0 OOC make us better? -- It means we need 3 or 4 wins in conference to make a bowl game, instead of 5 or 6. Making a bowl game in the near future would be HUGE. We are so starved for any amount of success at this point. We haven't had a winning season since '05. Going 6-6 (or 7-6) with a few easier wins and a .500 conference record would do wonders for establishing momentum moving forward. Recruits aren't going to analyze our SOS when they see our 3-10 record. However, making a bowl game and thus starting to turn things around is something they will take notice of, not to mention how crucial the extra December practices are when you're trying to build a program. Scrap this format of OOC scheduling for now, and give ourselves at least 2 wins OOC. We can come back to playing the FSU's of the world once we've established ourselves. These are desperate times, we've got to change our philosophy, IMO

Carolina do you understand how bad of shape our program is in? We need some ****ing wins. Hell our program isn't that far off from the pre-Snyder KjSU days. Look at our talent, its not that good. We couldn't even block a WAC team. I mean come on, I just don't understand why some here don't want to be honest where we are as a program. We are at the bottom and we need to rebuild. Getting our ass handed to us in the nonconference isn't helping us. We need some ****ing wins so by chance we might be able to get to a bowl and maybe start recruiting some better players.

Its just so frustrating (not picking on u Carolina) that people aren't seeing how bad of shape we are in. Even Bohn has no clue. People here want to drink the 89-96 kool-aid and act like we can change coaches and bam we are going to be right back where we were.

I would be fine with CSU being our most difficult non-conference game on the schedule until my realistic expectation is to do much better than a .500 conference record. Making bowl games is vitally important.

Carolina, I'm not usually in favor of loading it with easy teams, but we've got to be honest about where we're at right now. Playing road games at Hawaii or Fresno State as our "easy" OOC game is simply foolish when we're trying to rebuild like this. How does going 3-0 OOC make us better? -- It means we need 3 or 4 wins in conference to make a bowl game, instead of 5 or 6. Making a bowl game in the near future would be HUGE. We are so starved for any amount of success at this point. We haven't had a winning season since '05. Going 6-6 (or 7-6) with a few easier wins and a .500 conference record would do wonders for establishing momentum moving forward. Recruits aren't going to analyze our SOS when they see our 3-10 record. However, making a bowl game and thus starting to turn things around is something they will take notice of, not to mention how crucial the extra December practices are when you're trying to build a program. Scrap this format of OOC scheduling for now, and give ourselves at least 2 wins OOC. We can come back to playing the FSU's of the world once we've established ourselves. These are desperate times, we've got to change our philosophy, IMO

Fair points especially about making a bowl game and getting the extra practices, plus like you say recruits only look at the record on the surface. Just because some of us look beneath the surface of a team's record doesn't mean a 17-18 year old kid is gonna do that, in fact he's likely not to. I'm also a Syracuse fan and they did just that last year with essentially 3 gimme wins in the non-conference on their way to an 8-5 season with the bowl win. Yea they still have a ways to go but it's a start.

But regarding the Fresno and Hawaii games, what the hell are doing playing road games at places like Fresno, Hawaii, and Toledo in the first place? If they were 2-for-1's then I'll rehash this statement but I don't believe either of these series' were.

Fair points especially about making a bowl game and getting the extra practices, plus like you say recruits only look at the record on the surface. Just because some of us look beneath the surface of a team's record doesn't mean a 17-18 year old kid is gonna do that, in fact he's likely not to. I'm also a Syracuse fan and they did just that last year with essentially 3 gimme wins in the non-conference on their way to an 8-5 season with the bowl win. Yea they still have a ways to go but it's a start.

But regarding the Fresno and Hawaii games, what the hell are doing playing road games at places like Fresno, Hawaii, and Toledo in the first place? If they were 2-for-1's then I'll rehash this statement but I don't believe either of these series' were.

Hawaii is a 4 game series (2 home/2 away) and Fresno State is a 2 for 1, I believe...but the 3rd Fresno State game hasn't found a date yet as far as I know. As for why we'd ever play at Toledo with no return game, I have no idea. I don't even like a 2 for 1 with Fresno State...I don't like playing them at all. It was one thing to get Calif exposure while in the BigXII, but now, let's get them off the schedule ASAP. Nothing to gain by playing them

OK I get your everyone's point about making a bowl game even though there's like 30 bowl games now, but regardless it gets you the extra practices and exposure. But are there specific non-conference schedules you're referring to? Because 2 years ago we had a non-con schedule that we should've gone 2-2 AT WORST and ended up 1-3. And last year we went 3-1 with a non-con schedule that had 2 BCS schools on it including a mid-level SEC team. Granted those were under a different regime but my point is that the recent non-schedules have been quite manageable even for a down program like ourselves. Sure it would've made sense to have us playing a UNC or Wyoming instead of tOSU but it's already been established that that one is a money game we certainly can use.

OK I get your everyone's point about making a bowl game even though there's like 30 bowl games now, but regardless it gets you the extra practices and exposure. But are there specific non-conference schedules you're referring to? Because 2 years ago we had a non-con schedule that we should've gone 2-2 AT WORST and ended up 1-3. And last year we went 3-1 with a non-con schedule that had 2 BCS schools on it including a mid-level SEC team. Granted those were under a different regime but my point is that the recent non-schedules have been quite manageable even for a down program like ourselves. Sure it would've made sense to have us playing a UNC or Wyoming instead of tOSU but it's already been established that that one is a money game we certainly can use.

Money considerations gave our new coach a ridiculous schedule.

Cal would have either been cancelled or we would have pushed it to be a Pac-12 game if it weren't for the fact that our deal with Cal gave the home team in the 2-game series pretty much all the financial rights and we wanted to get our share.

Ohio State would have never been scheduled if it weren't for the opportunity to get a nice visitor payday plus an ESPN appearance. We could have hosted New Mexico that weekend (who had an open date), gotten a good crowd at Folsom, and made several hundred grand less.

And it's always been like this. The AD needs to stop this crap. Fans can help that by refusing to participate in the PR charade that it's done because of CU's tradition of playing tough OOC opponents. That "tradition" is no more than a long history of doing a ****** job of marketing the program to Coloradans and alums, so we've had to rely on using interest in our opponents to sell seats. Time to turn the page on that and schedule with winning as our goal instead of focusing on trying to squeeze a few extra bucks out of the football team.

I think next years non conf sets up nice if we just throw a cupcake in there. Last nights game made me realize how nice it would have been to open the season with a cupcake at home or even csu. Let the offense and the coaching staff get in a rhythm. But you play with the hand you are dealt. Beat Cal

Toledo should have been Miami (OH)'s home if I'm not mistaken.... but they bailed and asked if they could replace the game with another team instead of paying us. They replaced with Toledo, we **** the bed.

I tend to agree. Look at those CSU ****ers. They go to UNM, play like ass against an awful, awful team - yet all anyone says today is 'a win is a win' and they're 1 - 0 and feeling pretty good. We travel to the middle of the pacific to play the best WAC team and a heisman trophy candidate, lose, and now the wheels are already off the bus with no chance to reattach them for at least 2 weeks

Toledo should have been Miami (OH)'s home if I'm not mistaken.... but they bailed and asked if they could replace the game with another team instead of paying us. They replaced with Toledo, we **** the bed.

I tend to agree. Look at those CSU ****ers. They go to UNM, play like ass against an awful, awful team - yet all anyone says today is 'a win is a win' and they're 1 - 0 and feeling pretty good. We travel to the middle of the pacific to play the best WAC team and a heisman trophy candidate, lose, and now the wheels are already off the bus with no chance to reattach them for at least 2 weeks

How does losing last night translate into the wheels coming off the bus and affecting the next game or 2? Suppose we had come to life in the 4th last night with the first 3 quarters remaining the same and Hawaii didn't respond and we steal the win, does that suddenly change the season outlook? No, it doesn't change the fact that we couldn't run the ball. I just feel that week-to-week momentum is over-rated.

How does losing last night translate into the wheels coming off the bus and affecting the next game or 2? Suppose we had come to life in the 4th last night with the first 3 quarters remaining the same and Hawaii didn't respond and we steal the win, does that suddenly change the season outlook? No, it doesn't change the fact that we couldn't run the ball. I just feel that week-to-week momentum is over-rated.

I think dio was referring to how fired up the fans are this week. Personally, I would have rather been playing Prairie View at Folsom yesterday to get a win and bust the cherry with the new systems. We'd be 1-0 and the atmosphere around the program would be 100 times better.

I think dio was referring to how fired up the fans are this week. Personally, I would have rather been playing Prairie View at Folsom yesterday to get a win and bust the cherry with the new systems. We'd be 1-0 and the atmosphere around the program would be 100 times better.

OK fair enough. Agreed that a win over anybody yesterday would bring more fan enthusiasm into Folsom next week instead of coming off a 17-point loss to a WAC team.

OK fair enough. Agreed that a win over anybody yesterday would bring more fan enthusiasm into Folsom next week instead of coming off a 17-point loss to a WAC team.
Not to mention the added confidence it gives the team and the staff heading into the next week.

I think this is what we need every year to start every season. Not even playing a decent opponent, lets play someone really ****** so everyone can get some playing time in and we can ease into it.

I'm bumping this thread and not for the reasons you might think. I'm not bumping it to make sure the question of non-conference scheduling finally gets the attention it deserves. I mean, I have no idea where people stand on whether or not we should schedule crappy teams or really good teams. I'd like to find out, but here is not the place. I'm also not bumping it to reiterate how awesome pabuff is and how we should really try to learn from him and repent our immature and juvenile ways.

But, I am going to try to do what Mr. pabuff couldn't. Get the thread back on track. Does anyone know when we'll know our Pac-12 schedule for next year?

I'm bumping this thread and not for the reasons you might think. I'm not bumping it to make sure the question of non-conference scheduling finally gets the attention it deserves. I mean, I have no idea where people stand on whether or not we should schedule crappy teams or really good teams. I'd like to find out, but here is not the place. I'm also not bumping it to reiterate how awesome pabuff is and how we should really try to learn from him and repent our immature and juvenile ways.

But, I am going to try to do what Mr. pabuff couldn't. Get the thread back on track. Does anyone know when we'll know our Pac-12 schedule for next year?

I had assumed it would mirror this year's. But I don't know if Scott is doing it that way or we're rotating so that we play everyone in the conference at least every other year instead of locking into 4 teams from the other division as home/home before switching 2 out for 2 others. Also, since I believe the CA schools are locked into playing each other every year, I guess there's a chance that we locked with Washington/Washington State and then will rotate among UO/OSU/Stan/Cal.

To sum up: I don't have a ****ing clue.

Today is a prime example of why we need to lighten the schedule for a few years at least.

It isn't that I don't think CU should be playing top competition - it is that I don't think we should be playing top competition RIGHT NOW.

This team came out today scared. They are wildly fragile. None of the guys have won a road game and they're playing one of the most talented teams (albeit youngest) in the country in one of the toughest places to play in the country. What did we expect? This would have been a tough game for almost any team. Yet, here we have a talent depleted, emotionally fragile team with a new coaching staff and we toss them into the Shoe and expect something to happen?

If we're going to rebuild the team, then that includes their confidence. To do that will require some cupcakes for a few seasons. Having a team coming into conference play 4 - 0, 3 - 0, 3 - 1, or 2 - 1 does a lot for a teams development. Look at CSU. Their players feel pretty good even though they've beaten **** teams and lost to the only BCS school they've faced.

Today is a prime example of why we need to lighten the schedule for a few years at least.

It isn't that I don't think CU should be playing top competition - it is that I don't think we should be playing top competition RIGHT NOW.

This team came out today scared. They are wildly fragile. None of the guys have won a road game and they're playing one of the most talented teams (albeit youngest) in the country in one of the toughest places to play in the country. What did we expect? This would have been a tough game for almost any team. Yet, here we have a talent depleted, emotionally fragile team with a new coaching staff and we toss them into the Shoe and expect something to happen?

If we're going to rebuild the team, then that includes their confidence. To do that will require some cupcakes for a few seasons. Having a team coming into conference play 4 - 0, 3 - 0, 3 - 1, or 2 - 1 does a lot for a teams development. Look at CSU. Their players feel pretty good even though they've beaten **** teams and lost to the only BCS school they've faced.

Exactly. I would hope that the "anyone, anywhere" contingent would come around now after going 1-3 OOC. This is suicidal for CU to be doing in our woeful state. Bohn has got to fill the remaining date with an Idaho State, and preferably get us the hell out of that roadie at Fresno State next year. We've got to give ourselves 3 winnable OOC games to establish some confidence and give ourselves a CHANCE of making low-tier bowl games sometime before 2020.

Exactly. I would hope that the "anyone, anywhere" contingent would come around now after going 1-3 OOC. This is suicidal for CU to be doing in our woeful state. Bohn has got to fill the remaining date with an Idaho State, and preferably get us the hell out of that roadie at Fresno State next year. We've got to give ourselves 3 winnable OOC games to establish some confidence and give ourselves a CHANCE of making low-tier bowl games sometime before 2020.

I agree with this.
Here is the path to success for CU. Be sure to right this down if you are reading BOHN.
1. Hire Coach with Colorado background. Check....Good job BOHN you are on the right path
2. Generate Schedule that matches current teams talent level. No Check. BOHN you must get us 3 winnable games for our OOC schedule. Do not move on to number 3.
3. After a few years generate more difficult schedule. Notate how this affects our bowl game and recruiting.
4. Repeat step 3 but now consider scheduling 1 OOC game against a team that will fall in the Top 25.
5. Don't get greedy. Keep scheduling cupcake OOC games. A win is a win.

Back