What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future scheduling if there are 4 super conferences?

Buff_since76

Still a fan...
Club Member
Assuming the world does change and you have 4 super conferences that band together and create a play-off system to determine who the national champ is; Do you think the current system of 8-9 conference games will stand, or will the world shift to where you have 11/12 conference games? If the divisions are set up to determine who the best in each league is wouldn’t it make sense to play the majority of teams in the league?

If the PAC-12 goes to 16, and you have an East and West (I am hoping against this, but just in case) wouldn’t it make more sense to play the 7 teams in your league, and 4/5 of 8 in the other league? This would make sure teams aren’t padding their schedule, and would truly show who the best is in the conference.

On another note, why would any team included in the 64 ever schedule a game with a team that is just on the outside looking in of the 64(Boise, Houston, or BYU). Why would you ever risk having someone point at your program and say they don’t belong in a super conference?

This has anit-trsut lawsuit written all over it. I can feel Orrin Hatch getting gearing up for some hearing...

I think you would have to go to 12 conference games. Taking the PAC for example nobody outside of Cali is going to be happy if they only have 1 or maybe 2 games in the entire state in any given year.

Good news is we would have an excuse to kill the CSU game.

This has anit-trsut lawsuit written all over it. I can feel Orrin Hatch getting gearing up for some hearing...

If the conferences break off from the NCAA in football, all the government could do is take away a tax-exempt status. Which they might do, but the $$$$ rolling in probably would still be worth it.

Any type of shift to "super conferences" where those conferences dominate television, dominate bowls, make a playoff, etc. is most definitely going to get the anti-trust beat down.

If the conferences break off from the NCAA in football, all the government could do is take away a tax-exempt status. Which they might do, but the $$$$ rolling in probably would still be worth it.

Take away tax exempt status. Cut off federal funding. No big deal. :wow:

Like I posted before, why not four 4 team pods. East, SW, W and north. You play the three in your pod and then rotate a different pod every year with an additional team from the two remaining pods.

If (when?) they boot the NCAA and go to a playoff, there will certainly be more than four teams in the playoff. I'd guess the number would be closer to 16. Why have two rounds of playoffs when you can have four and make twice the money?

Also, assuming a bunch of 16 team leagues, the schedules would definitely have to be expanded from 12 to at least 14 games.

4 conferences with 16 teams (64 total)

4 pods of 4 teams each within these conferences

Each team's schedule is as follows:

3 games against pod-mates
6 games against rest of conference (2 each against the other 3 pods)
3 games against teams from the other conferences (1 against a team from each)

Playoff:

Conferences do a playoff. Either 4 teams (winner of each pod) or 6 teams (pod winners plus 2 wildcard teams with best records)
If no wildcard, Seed 1 plays Seed 4 & Seed 2 plays Seed 3
If wildcard, Seeds 1 & 2 get byes. Seed 3 plays Seed 6 & Seed 4 plays Seed 5. Winners play Seed 1 & Seed 2 in next round.
Championship Game is between the winners of the semi-final round.

The 4 superconference champions are seeded 1-4 and play a 2-round playoff to determine our national champion.

That's the vision and the pathway to make the most money possible out of college football.

If (when?) they boot the NCAA and go to a playoff, there will certainly be more than four teams in the playoff. I'd guess the number would be closer to 16. Why have two rounds of playoffs when you can have four and make twice the money?

Also, assuming a bunch of 16 team leagues, the schedules would definitely have to be expanded from 12 to at least 14 games.

Starting to look a lot like the NFL.

4 conferences with 16 teams (64 total)

4 pods of 4 teams each within these conferences

Each team's schedule is as follows:

3 games against pod-mates
6 games against rest of conference (2 each against the other 3 pods)
3 games against teams from the other conferences (1 against a team from each)

Playoff:

Conferences do a playoff. Either 4 teams (winner of each pod) or 6 teams (pod winners plus 2 wildcard teams with best records)
If no wildcard, Seed 1 plays Seed 4 & Seed 2 plays Seed 3
If wildcard, Seeds 1 & 2 get byes. Seed 3 plays Seed 6 & Seed 4 plays Seed 5. Winners play Seed 1 & Seed 2 in next round.
Championship Game is between the winners of the semi-final round.

The 4 superconference champions are seeded 1-4 and play a 2-round playoff to determine our national champion.

That's the vision and the pathway to make the most money possible out of college football.
Sounds kind of familiar, :lol:

because university presidents are vehemently opposed to adding more games to the schedule.

a 4 team playoff would be palatable to them.

because university presidents are vehemently opposed to adding more games to the schedule.

a 4 team playoff would be palatable to them.

somebody once said: follow.the.money. I'm not sure I remember who told me that, but I think it made some sense at the time.

University Presidents are whores. They'll gladly add two games to the regular season and two extra rounds of playoffs if it means an extra $10MM in their pocket each year.

somebody once said: follow.the.money. I'm not sure I remember who told me that, but I think it made some sense at the time.

University Presidents are whores. They'll gladly add two games to the regular season and two extra rounds of playoffs if it means an extra $10MM in their pocket each year.

maybe. i may have outsmarted myself! altho, i do think they want to keep up the pretense that it is about education and not tv money and adding games makes it really hard for them to do that.

I don't like where college football is headed. This four super conferences thing seems a lot like the NFL to me. We don't need another clone of the NFL. I will always be a CU fan, but may not be as big a college football fan after this.

Back