What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

FWIW the TAMU boards have lit up with more realignment threads the last couple of day

SuperD

Club Member
Club Member
The fans are not enjoying their apparent death pact to be UT's bitch for life. There has been a steady stream of complaint threads since last year, but in the last few days there has a been big uptick in realignment threads, lots of vague "stuff is still going on behind the scenes", mostly on the premium boards so you can't see the details. Personally I don't see it happening because even if they work out an agreement I think the Texas legislature slaps them down. At the same time, you do have to wonder if this whole bald-faced power grab by UT to put one of the league's potential tier 1 games on Bevo Net via a shady backroom deal between the leagues network partners is making the other schools realize just what they signed up for.

Although he was a proponent for a bigger share of the pie for the marquee teams, Byrne (TAMU's AD) is a veteran AD with stops at Nebraska and Oregon, and has actually been a fairly big proponent of a media strategy that benefits the league as a whole, and actually turned down a chance to partner with UT on a Texas network, preferring a league network. He was also pushing a limited extension of the Tier 2 rights so that they could renegotiate all the rights at the same time similar to what the PAC 12 did, but neither idea has got much traction.

There were reports that the league, led by UT, was trying to make the departure fees even more draconian to ensure that no other schools would leave. I imaging that is not sitting too well with the other 9 schools and probably the reason for the rash of new realignment threads.

what aggy doesn't understand is they are a regional program, not really a national one. they could be, but they aren't now and never have been.

if atm goes to the sec, it will be interesting to see what the fallout would be.

that would leave the b12 with 9 teams, among other things. would ou join them in the sec? would ou leave osu?

what happens to poor ku, pulled down in every possible way by their kjuco state brethren?

figure baylor and tech will just wait around for big daddy ut to tell them what phallus they need to attach to.

will mizzery be able to pull off a move to the b10(12 or 13)?

isu is probably SOL.

house of cards!

if atm bolts and the whole thing comes apart, does the p12 go to 14 or 16 and add ut and their beetches? i hope not, but i could definitely see it happening.

I wouldn't take anything seriously that's being put forth by aggy. They define delusional.

aTm missed their chance for now...maybe 5 years down the road

they also missed their chance to step in the upper echelon of the Big XII South when at the same time Fran was a failed hire and Mack went from "can't win the big win" to the BCS title. poised to make a real move in 02 or 03. they had a spanky new hire from Bama (the Bear in reverse, they said), were killing it recruiting....Mack was catching all kinds of heat...and then turned out that VY was the man and Reggie McNeal was lost/hurt in Fran's ongoing blown out by ISU at Kyle debacle.

OU leaving UT is one thing. A&M leaving UT will never happen. Their entire school is based on not being UT. Without UT, they are nothing. Their entire fight song is about UT - it mentions UT 4 times, and their own school only once.

So glad we got out of that cluster...UT will kill another conference. I hope they go independent and suffer through another Mackovic-like era of mediocrity.

Greg is right on the money. ATM is all hat and no cattle. They blew their only chance last year.

This one has a lot more info on what may be setting off all the realignment talk again. May require premium access to the Scout network, not sure.

http://kansasstate.scout.com/2/1086147.html

The gist is that the LHN's recent moves are finally opening some eyes as the potential detrimental effect it could have on the rest of the league...basically that ESPN is proving that they may have some concerns on needing content for the network, and if they are willing to shell out what it took to get Fox to allow them to have a conference game from the package Fox just paid 90 million a year for, what else will they in regards to promoting the Horns? The LHN media blitz during the College World Series was very visible as well. Claims to have a source saying the leading contender is Clemson as a partner for TAMU, though personally I think they'd be better off chasing UNC or Va Tech, though maybe those aren't gettable due to either historical league ties or Va Tech being tied at the hip to Virginia by their legislature.

The gist is that the LHN's recent moves are finally opening some eyes as the potential detrimental effect it could have on the rest of the league...basically that ESPN is proving that they may have some concerns on needing content for the network, and if they are willing to shell out what it took to get Fox to allow them to have a conference game from the package Fox just paid 90 million a year for, what else will they in regards to promoting the Horns? The LHN media blitz during the College World Series was very visible as well. Claims to have a source saying the leading contender is Clemson as a partner for TAMU, though personally I think they'd be better off chasing UNC or Va Tech, though maybe those aren't gettable due to either historical league ties or Va Tech being tied at the hip to Virginia by their legislature.

Va Tech can't go anywhere - UVA (with hands tied) got them into the ACC

Is it just me or does the aTm Pres. and his maroon and white bow tie look completely...well, gay?

This one has a lot more info on what may be setting off all the realignment talk again. May require premium access to the Scout network, not sure.

http://kansasstate.scout.com/2/1086147.html

That's a good article.

But the same points that are brought up about the SEC not being able to take A&M right now are also creating the opportunity for the Big 12-2 to "save itself" by aggressively trying to recruit Arkansas and LSU away from the SEC. If ever SEC schools would be targets for another league, it would be during a massive multi-school scandal. If the Razorbacks and Tigers are "clean" and the SEC suffers severely at the box office and marketing department, there could be a chance that the SEC "comes to them" rather than the other way around.

There still is resistance from many stakeholders in preventing the "super-conference" from forming beyond 12 teams.

If the SEC lost Arky-LSU, they could easily go after either Clemson, Louisville, West Virginia, and/or Florida State to replace those schools down the road.

The other possibility is that the Big 12-2 collateral creates the chance that the Big East can lure away Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State to become a 12-team football conference with a HUGE basketball footprint and 20-team powerhouse conference.

Arkansas is never, ever leaving the SEC for a new SWC. Any article that suggests that as a possibility is immediately discredited.

SEC isn't going to lose anybody, and I assume they just aren't looking to expand right now, their only chance likely was in the chaos of last summer when things were very unclear. I think the only way it happens is if it's aTm/OU (not 1 aTm/OU + 1 ACC school) given the importance of market-expansion these days. Clemson/FSU add no new markets, and as much of a task as it would be for aTm or OU to break away from their in-state brethren, it would likely be just as difficult for UF to be convinced to support an FSU admission into the SEC. Other options aren't anymore feasible, VA Tech would have even less leverage than OU or aTm to make the move (zero possibility). WVU is located in the far north of the state, and while it does have proximity to Pittsburgh, the SEC isn't eyeing a state w/ 1.8 million people, nor the Pittsburgh market. Besides, while adding an OU or FSU sounds great, the SEC might be reaching a point where it is literally too competitive for its own good. Throw OU in its current form into the SEC West, are you ****ing kidding me with the schedule those teams would play?

aTm + OU to the SEC makes an awful lot of sense, just sayin'.

For that matter so does KU to the BigEast.

aTm + OU to the SEC makes an awful lot of sense, just sayin'.

For that matter so does KU to the BigEast.

Big East will awkwardly be up to 17 in hoops with TCU, if the Big12(-2) collapses I agree they'd definitely grab KU for an even 18. Maybe they'd be crazy enough to save Mizzery and KJUCO and bring it up to 20 in hoops and 12 in football. Hopefully not, I know I'm not alone in wanting to see Mizzery stranded :popcorn:

Big East will awkwardly be up to 17 in hoops with TCU, if the Big12(-2) collapses I agree they'd definitely grab KU for an even 18. Maybe they'd be crazy enough to save Mizzery and KJUCO and bring it up to 20 in hoops and 12 in football. Hopefully not, I know I'm not alone in wanting to see Mizzery stranded :popcorn:

The Big East will likely split off with the non-football schools being left out, giving them 9 teams for now and 10 in the near future. Temple is rumored to be headed back to the Big East as early as 2012. Beyond that I could definitely see them going after KU and Mizzery to get to 12 teams.

You are not alone, but I don't see it happening. At a minimum the Big East would take Mizzery. I will be happy enough if the Big 10 passes on Mizzery again, which I think is somewhat likely at this point.

I would love Mizzou to be in limbo and throw Kjuco and KU in there as well.....**** them all

Back