What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

FWIW the TAMU boards have lit up with more realignment threads the last couple of day

quidditch-tam.jpg

UT has quidditch also.

Anyone who says OU is UT's female dog is sorely mistaken...OU fans can remind UT fans who has more national championships. You are all high on crack if you think UT owns OU.

So you really think that OU and UT are equal partners in the Big 12? Seriously? You really believe that?

ESPN has been trying to hype Texas as the market team from the SW region....SEC west to Cali, south of the Big 10 since at least 2000. Mack and Chris Simms foiled them by losing a slew of big games to OU and us. Now, it's the same strategy.

I still say you people who think/prefer to think that OU has no spine in this matter are telling yourself hero stories about CU's move to the Pac. David Boren, OU prez, as i have noted a couple times is a shrewd SOB with a long history in the intelligence services....he ain't getting played by Deloss and doesn't need to "grow a spine". If he's kept his powder dry the last year, it's because OU has a lot to sell about itself and will make a move.

as i noted before, OU had offers from the Pac and SEC....and i'll believe Larry Scott and Slive about what OU brings to a conference before a bunch of post-facto "here's the hero story of CU to the Pac" legend we've accepted as truth. a lot of us here sound like Bugeater fans telling ourselves the bedtime story about how Dr. Tom "got over" on Texas.

CU would be very lucky to have had the leadership, experience (multi-term congressman, Rhodes Scholar, Yale grad) that OU has had from Boren. Judy Albino, Buffalo Betsy, Margaritaville Dick Tharp....

Just because you are a smart guy does not mean that you can't make mistakes. Sometimes the situation overwhelms even the best of people. Keeping the Big 12 together was done in backrooms at the 11th hour. Options were limited and unfortunately the other teams gave Texas way too much to keep them in the Big 12. No other conference would ever consider letting an individual member have their own network that would leave the rest of the conference out of it - the Big 12 only did it because they were desperate at the time. Tommy Tuberville was correct when he said the big 12 did not have a sustainable model.

If the people in charge at OU are as smart and forward thinking as you think they are, they are looking to develop options down the road. The LHN basically undermines the idea of a Big 12 network which is going to limit future revenue streams. Right now OU, OSU and A&M should all be looking at options for their futures. The LHN will actually be the poison pill that will keep Texas from joining any other conference.

The problem at the moment is that most of the conference realignment talk has settled down for the moment. The Big 10 is happy at 12 and will only change that position if ND decides it wants into the conference.

Remember you not only have to be smart, you have to have the opportunity to take action.

OU will be starting their own network in time. Probably not until the 2012 season, however. It will not be nearly as popular as the LHN but it will still generate revenue for OU that it will not have to share with anyone.

OU looked at the move to the Pac-10 as a strategic one. What was to be gained by moving to the Pac-10? Nothing. OU doesn't need the money. They make more bank than anyone in the Pac-10 already. For Oklahoma, the cost of travel to the West Coast is exorbitant compared to what is paid to travel within the Big 12. What is to be gained by Oklahoma stepping up competition and playing in the Pac-10? Nothing. Bob Stoops has been on record many times that he is pleased as punch that the Big 12 no longer has a conference championship game. Why compete against USC, Oregon, Cal, UCLA, Washington, etc. on an annual basis when you can compete against ISU, Baylor, KSU, KU, etc.? Much much much much easier road to the national championship in the Big 12 than the Pac-10, and in the end, that is all OU cares about.

You consider OU to be a slave to UT. Perhaps so, but perhaps doing so is their choice, not their burden. OU has been tied to Texas for a century, even when the two were not conference mates. Look at the history of OU football -- they have very few ties to the west, but plenty of ties to Texas. Their recruiting base is significantly Texan. Their fan base is also significantly Texan. It only makes sense that they remain tied to Texas.

As for the rest of the Big 12 conference - what else was out there for them? Better to accept 2/3 of the pay which is given to Texas, OU, & A&M than to settle for a $2 million payday in the MWC or Conference USA. I am sure if there were other options out there for them, they would look for them. There just aren't too many conferences who are attracted to Iowa State, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc. Those schools have to look out for their bottom line. Better to receive $15 million a year and bow down to Texas than receive $2 million a year from Conference USA.

OU will be starting their own network in time. Probably not until the 2012 season, however. It will not be nearly as popular as the LHN but it will still generate revenue for OU that it will not have to share with anyone.

OU looked at the move to the Pac-10 as a strategic one. What was to be gained by moving to the Pac-10? Nothing. OU doesn't need the money. They make more bank than anyone in the Pac-10 already. For Oklahoma, the cost of travel to the West Coast is exorbitant compared to what is paid to travel within the Big 12. What is to be gained by Oklahoma stepping up competition and playing in the Pac-10? Nothing. Bob Stoops has been on record many times that he is pleased as punch that the Big 12 no longer has a conference championship game. Why compete against USC, Oregon, Cal, UCLA, Washington, etc. on an annual basis when you can compete against ISU, Baylor, KSU, KU, etc.? Much much much much easier road to the national championship in the Big 12 than the Pac-10, and in the end, that is all OU cares about.

You consider OU to be a slave to UT. Perhaps so, but perhaps doing so is their choice, not their burden. OU has been tied to Texas for a century, even when the two were not conference mates. Look at the history of OU football -- they have very few ties to the west, but plenty of ties to Texas. Their recruiting base is significantly Texan. Their fan base is also significantly Texan. It only makes sense that they remain tied to Texas.

As for the rest of the Big 12 conference - what else was out there for them? Better to accept 2/3 of the pay which is given to Texas, OU, & A&M than to settle for a $2 million payday in the MWC or Conference USA. I am sure if there were other options out there for them, they would look for them. There just aren't too many conferences who are attracted to Iowa State, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc. Those schools have to look out for their bottom line. Better to receive $15 million a year and bow down to Texas than receive $2 million a year from Conference USA.

I find the premise of OU going a separate way from UT being laughable.

OU and UT are joined at the hip. What Slade sez above is true.

The genius of OU is that they escaped Conference-palooza with their powder dry. Their silent approach might have made them look like Texas's bitch. But in fact, Texas did the Sooner's bidding.

The RRS is the defacto conference championship game. The winner of UT-OU has a much better chance of heading to a BCS title game. And the loser can still make it to a BCS game with a one or two loss season.

Texas rigged the conference for a B12 express lane to the mNC. And if history serves, OU will benefit as much as, or more than Texas.

Plus, if there ever is a playoff system, OU and UT will be well positioned by not having a CCG.

Interesting thread. UT and OU will be just fine, and as others have pointed out, now have a smoother road to the BCS, although winning the B12-2 won't mean as much anymore without a CCG and NU or CU in the mix. That might make getting into the MNC game harder.

aTm and Okie Lite will probably be OK too, everybody else will suffer. It will be a veritable six pack of bitches for UT, OU, aTm and Okie Lite to slap around. OU and UT will play for all the marbles, aTm and Okie Lite will play for third and everybody else will bleed in the cellar.

That's all true right up to the point where UT decides it doesn't need OU anymore. I think the relationship is far less symbiotic than is being portrayed.

That's all true right up to the point where UT decides it doesn't need OU anymore. I think the relationship is far less symbiotic than is being portrayed.

When that happens (and I agree, it could happen some day) there will be plenty of conferences ready to take OU.

I can't see that day ever arriving. UT needs OU for legitimacy. And vice versa. They are wedded at the hip, 'til death do they part.

I can't see that day ever arriving. UT needs OU for legitimacy. And vice versa. They are wedded at the hip, 'til death do they part.

OMG, really? You think UT's ego would allow them to ever admit they need OU for legitimacy? This is TEXAS we're talking about here! They don't need nuthin' or nobody to make them 'gitimate. :rofl2:

If, by "plenty of conferences" you mean "the SEC, so long as they haven't already expanded at that point", then I agree.

Exactly. SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, ACC, Big East. 7 national championships, 42 conference championships and $100 million in annual revenue isn't going to be left out in the cold for too long, that's for sure.

Frankly, I think if UT wanted to leave to go on their own, I bet OU would be happy to keep the rest of the conference, and bring over TCU, or even SMU to make it an even 10.

But OU/UT weren't conference mates until 1995- and they've played 100+ times.

I think the OU/UT cotton bowl game will continue for as long as they make cash on it, whether it is a part of a conference package or otherwise. Simply too much history and too much money for it to be any other way.

OMG, really? You think UT's ego would allow them to ever admit they need OU for legitimacy? This is TEXAS we're talking about here! They don't need nuthin' or nobody to make them 'gitimate. :rofl2:

OU and UT have played each other since 1900.
It's a big deal to both fan bases. Whether or not a fan choses to acknowledge that is another issue.

Part of what makes the TV contract for UT so valuable is the drama involved between OU and UT (and to a lesser degree, UT-A&M)

I saw there are 30,000 plus OU alum in DFW alone. That's about the number CU has in the entire state if California.

If you think UT would ditch their stronghold in North Texas by kicking OU to the curb, you are out of your mind.

God bless you, Sacky. But when it comes to understanding Texas-OU, you are blissfully as ignorant as a box of rocks.

So you really think that OU and UT are equal partners in the Big 12? Seriously? You really believe that?

No offense to you but it's very apparent to any Okie on this board including myself that you don't know OU that well. Slade and Ronson are pretty much right on the mark about that school. That is why I am highly skeptical of OU going to the Pac-12 and I have told Pac-12 fans that.

Frankly, I think if UT wanted to leave to go on their own, I bet OU would be happy to keep the rest of the conference, and bring over TCU, or even SMU to make it an even 10.

Something I admit I hadn't considered, and would actually make a lot of sense.

Exactly. SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, ACC, Big East. 7 national championships, 42 conference championships and $100 million in annual revenue isn't going to be left out in the cold for too long, that's for sure.

And then they should all agree not to schedule Texas at Austin.

I could see a new Big 12 with TCU, SMU, and Houston in the conference, making it a true 12 team league again - and keeping the Texas market - if Texas decided to leave.

If they're smart, they go after UNM before the Pac does. Albuquerque is a dump of a city, but it's a growing media market.

Add New Mexico and Memphis and be done with the BS. Both schools are perfect fits in the Haves/Havenots Conference that would add some hoops to the table and a large city market (not a major media market but a big one) in Albuquerque and Memphis.

Those two schools would fit in geographically and culturally and help "seal" the Big 12's borders and protect any "leftovers" if the bigger schools move on to greener pastures. If I were K-St/I-St/T-Tech/OK-St/Baylor I would be pushing for this type of expansion.

If the "Big 4" Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas all left the conference, at least there would be 8 schools left behind to provide stability for those remaining schools.

More teams = more games = more programming content for networks.

I think New Mexico and Memphis would be major steps in the wrong direction. We are looking for top-tier elite universities, not bottom feeders.

Add New Mexico and Memphis and be done with the BS. Both schools are perfect fits in the Haves/Havenots Conference that would add some hoops to the table and a large city market (not a major media market but a big one) in Albuquerque and Memphis.

Those two schools would fit in geographically and culturally and help "seal" the Big 12's borders and protect any "leftovers" if the bigger schools move on to greener pastures. If I were K-St/I-St/T-Tech/OK-St/Baylor I would be pushing for this type of expansion.

If the "Big 4" Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas all left the conference, at least there would be 8 schools left behind to provide stability for those remaining schools.

More teams = more games = more programming content for networks.

Memphis is still in Tennessee, right? Okay, NM makes sense geographically, but isn't in the AAU. Obviously Memphis makes no sense geographically and they're also not in the AAU - two strikes and you're out. Boise St. would make sense geographically, but again not in the AAU. We gotta have standards... what do you mean by culturally?

View attachment 7046

Memphis is still in Tennessee, right? Okay, NM makes sense geographically, but isn't in the AAU. Obviously Memphis makes no sense geographically and they're also not in the AAU - two strikes and you're out. Boise St. would make sense geographically, but again not in the AAU. We gotta have standards... what do you mean by culturally?

View attachment 7046

what part of big 12 are you not getting?

View attachment 7046

Map MS paint skills rep. Pretty sure he was saying that's what the Big Texas - Texas should do. I personally don't care what they do.

I don't really get the Boise talk. The school is basically a juco. Their run is eventually going to ground to a halt, and the chances of them ever repeating this kind of run given their resources/location are about zero. Boise has no business in the Pac.

Back