What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game(s) thread - Women's Basketball @ Pac 12 Tourn. (#20 ASU, Thurs., 3/7, 12:30 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
It's a tough 1st round match-up against the #20 sun devils early tomorrow afternoon.

Hope the team relishes and honors all their remaining time together with consistently hard and smart play in Vegas. Pull the upset Buffs!

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/3/6/womens-basketball-buffs-set-for-pac-12-tournament.aspx

"
By: Seth Pringle, Assistant SID
LAS VEGAS — The No. 12 seeded Colorado Buffaloes will look to cause chaos throughout the bracket as the 2019 edition of the Pac-12 Women's Basketball Tournament shifts to Sin City and the MGM Grand Arena this week.

"We have sort of been the underdog all year," head coach JR Payne explained. "I think we are happy to be the underdog. We are playing a great team in Arizona State. I think we feel good about our chances."

Colorado (12-17, 2-16 Pac-12) got dealt a rough hand this season. The Buffs started the season 10-1 but finished just 2-16. CU has had an unfortunate streak of dealing with injuries and some bad luck. Colorado has started nine different lineups this season and has missed a total of 38 games to injury this season.

"People are injured on every team in America," Payne added. "Ours a bit more than others. But those that haven't been injured have stepped up, played hard and grown in their role."

"I love our potential for this week. If we can get Alexis [Robinson] back feeling good and Peanut [Tuitele] back on the floor—Kennedy [Leonard] is getting her feet back under her. All our young players have all this experience. I like our chances."

The Buffs have fared well in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament, recording a 5-2 overall record. Last year Colorado defeated Utah in first-round play. The only other time CU was the 12th seed was in 2016. The Buffs did not advance past Washington.

Thursday's game is the tournament opener. The Buffs and Sun Devils will get going at 12:30 p.m. MT. The 10 of the 11 games this week will be on the Pac-12 Network with the championship game shifting to ESPN.

Fans can listen to Cory Lopez and Carol Callan on the Buffalo Radio Network. The game will be broadcast locally on AM 630 (KHOW) and online at CUBuffs.com/listen.

The Game: The Buffs open the Pac-12 Tournament as the No. 12 seed. Colorado draws Arizona State, the No. 5 seed, to open the tournament on Thursday. Colorado went 0-2 against the Sun Devils in the regular season.

About the Buffaloes: CU is 4-2 in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament. Last season Colorado advanced into the quarterfinals with a first-round win over Utah (66-56). Senior Kennedy Leonard (12.9 ppg) leads the group. Senior Alexis Robinson (12.0), junior Quinessa Caylao-Do (11.1) and sophomore Mya Hollingshed (10.9 ppg) round out the top-scorers.

About ASU: The Sun Devils lost three of its last four to close out the regular season, slipping back to No. 20 in the polls. Arizona State split the last weekend with a win over Oregon State and a loss to Oregon. ASU advanced to the semifinals last season as the No. 6 seed in the tournament. Earlier this week Kianna Ibis was voted All-Conference, while Courtney Ekmark was honorable mention.
"

Media links -
Game notes
(For ASU game) - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/3/5//Pac_12_1_ASU.pdf

Vs. ASU (Thursday, 12:30 PM MT)
Live video
- Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 National, Mountain and Arizona channels. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to one of those Pac 12 channels, believe the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2019/03/07/colorado-vs-arizona-state .

Live audio (Stream of the radio (AM 630) broadcast.) - No link at this point.

Link to link to live stats - No link at this point.

End of 3rd Quarter: Colorado 40 ASU 43

Team played much better outscored ASU 23-12 and Lexi Robinson had 3 3's in a row and sparked the Buffs with 12 points in the quarter.

Hate to sound negative but does anyone think it's time to let JR go yet? We keep getting worse.

got to hope the freshman coming in are really talented and can add some scoring. hard to win games when you only score 49. They played all right defensively. Giving up 66 is not bad but got to become much more efficient on the offensive end.

I am not ready to give up on JR now. Want to see if players leave now that the season is over.

If several players leave again this year, I will wonder what is going on. Losing Castro and Curtis last year was okay because they should never have been on a P5 team.

We have to have bigger, wider, stronger players at every position. I know JR is very high on the point guard from Alabama. I hope she can come in and run the team for 4 years.

Lexi and Kennedy both said at the presser after the game that they do not regret staying when JR came to CU after their freshmen season. I know the culture of the program has changed tremendously for the better since she arrived.

I don't know, I really like her but I have seen zero improvement. Same issues year after year and I think 3 years is enough time to turn around a basketball team. We've seen a couple of PAC coaches hired and the team turned around quickly. Oregon State comes to mind. They went from 10 wins to 23 wins in one year after hiring their current coach.

Now, I don't expect that necessarily but after 3 years I expect too see some progress. And JR started out with a young point guard that will most likely end up in the WNBA. So she started with a very key player already in place for all 3 years. Not to mention having Alexis the whole time too.

Yes, now she may have a couple very good players coming in next year but now you have to replace a great point guard and a very good 2 guard.

The goal is to compete for championships in ALL sports. I think it may be time for a change. If CU decides to give JR a 4th year, I won't be upset but next year would be do or die for sure.

Oh and as far as what Kennedy and Alexis said, what would you expect them to say with JR right there, really. They are great young women. I wouldn't expect anything else.

Since you mentioned Oregon State, here is the record of Scott Rueck in his first three seasons:

2010–11 Oregon State 9–212–1610th
2011–12 Oregon State 20–139–9T-5thWNIT 3rd Round
2012–13 Oregon State 10–214–14T-11th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In year 4, they went to 24 wins.

I think we need to remind ourselves that when JR arrived, there was no line up of recruits knocking on the door. Kennedy and Lex each had their transfer papers and were ready to leave, so if Lappe had stayed, those two players would not have been on the team.

As with many first year coaches, JR and staff arrived late in the recruiting season. Some of the players who had signed re-opened their recruiting. She did make a mistake with some of the junior college transfer kids she brought in. The player from the UK was also a mistake.

The other two members of Kennedy and Lex's class were Monica Burich and Mackenzie Ellis. Burich plays at Drake, but doesn't start. Drake will be in the NCAA tournament this year. It definitely hurt to lose Burich. Ellis is back to starting for SMU. She shoots 27%. That's a familiar number. Her team is at 5-11 in the conference. The scoop was that she wanted to play with her sister. Her sister is no longer listed on the SMU roster. I do not know why.

We need a good class for this year and next year. I'm told Charlotte Whitaker is a good shooter. I do think it helps immensely that she is red shirting this semester and learning the ways of both US college basketball but just living in another country. Emma Clarke has gotten better as the season has gone on.

I have high hopes for Peanut, but she's had a ton of injuries. Q has worked very hard to get to where she is today.

I also don't think CU is in a financial position to fire JR, with having to pay McIntyre.'s buyout. CU also doesn't pay it's basketball coaches enough money for it to be realistic to expect a championship every year. CU doesn't go after name coaches. The last three hires for women's basketball have not had a lot of experience in head coaching as the P5 level, as in no experience. The AD seems to think that is enough and it has not always worked. It didn't work with KMM or Lappe.

I will give JR another year before I'm ready to kick her on her way.

Ok I can live with that. I truly hope it works out because I really do like JR a lot! Just growing impatient I guess.

I believe that if we give her time that JR will be successful.

Realistically, I have to admit that she's on the hot seat next season and must show significant improvement in the Pac-12 standings. This year we weren't even competitive.

Back