What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- Men's bball ends season opening homestand hosting Maine (Monday, 11/15/21, 6:00 PM MT, Pac 12 Mountain)

Very much. I expected Key to make a leap but didn’t expect this. Nique though? Had no clue this was coming.
I knew Kee could shoot the 3, but didn't expect to see the work he's doing to get in the paint & finish. He looks like the blue chip we'd hoped he was when he signed.

Like you, I had about zero expectations from Nique. He's got an impressive all around game with a high ceiling due to athleticism.

Hammond got his first playing time. It was funny watching the Maine coaching staff looking around at each trying to figure out who he was when he first entered the game since he was not on their scouting report.

Hammond got his first playing time. It was funny watching the Maine coaching staff looking around at each trying to figure out who he was when he first entered the game since he was not on their scouting report.
He looked OK on TV.

Crazy what having a lot of guards who can play does for your team. Such a flip from two years ago when the only one you trusted with the ball was Kin.

Was at the game. CU slowly and gradually built a lead and didn't let up. Every time I looked at the scoreeboard in the second half I was was surprised to see lead growing as there just didn't seem to be a lot of big runs by the Buffs.

I don't know what to say about Barthelemy. He was scoring in about every possible way. 22 points in 23 minutes. Getting the basket with the ball or with a wicked cut. Hitting a a trey, etc. He was really impressive. And only one turnover tonight.

Lovering attacks the glass. He throws the ball at it. :LOL: It seems, to me anyway, that he needs to slow things down and relax.
Game's a lot faster and he's never had to deal with opponents who can block his shot. He's actually doing better and is effective earlier than I'd thought he would be. Patience, folks. Freshman bigs - other than the 1-and-done types - almost always struggle and look lost. Lovering is gonna be great.

Lovering attacks the glass. He throws the ball at it. :LOL: It seems, to me anyway, that he needs to slow things down and relax.
He needs a couple years of strength work. Hopefully he’s got the genes and frame to make it work. He is very underdeveloped physically. Nice shot though. Solid technique from the line.

He needs a couple years of strength work. Hopefully he’s got the genes and frame to make it work. He is very underdeveloped physically. Nice shot though. Solid technique from the line.

Some of it isnt just weight room strength, once the game slows down a bit for him, and he realizes that you have to grab the ball hard everytime and guys can jump now, there will be a world of difference.

No need to wait a couple years, you may even see some of that by the end of this year. I dont think you will ever see him as a bruiser strength guy, but he can for sure build some functional strength. Think more Josh Scott than Evan Batty.

Game's a lot faster and he's never had to deal with opponents who can block his shot. He's actually doing better and is effective earlier than I'd thought he would be. Patience, folks. Freshman bigs - other than the 1-and-done types - almost always struggle and look lost. Lovering is gonna be great.
I totally get that and agree. I could see some frustration in him, which is great. He’s going to be fun to watch develop.

Some of it isnt just weight room strength, once the game slows down a bit for him, and he realizes that you have to grab the ball hard everytime and guys can jump now, there will be a world of difference.

No need to wait a couple years, you may even see some of that by the end of this year. I dont think you will ever see him as a bruiser strength guy, but he can for sure build some functional strength. Think more Josh Scott than Evan Batty.
I am liking his defense. That big from Maine could push him around but he played smart angles and position to keep him from getting the ball in a good spot.

I am liking his defense. That big from Maine could push him around but he played smart angles and position to keep him from getting the ball in a good spot.
He actually has pretty decent lateral quickness on the perimeter for a young 7' player. Tad is very high on him...I trust his analysis. He also had good things to say about Julian and the simetimes maligned LOB. Once we get into tougher schedule portion those two 9 and 10 guys will get fewer minutes but they won't embarrass themselves.

Strength argument can be overused in my opinion. Collin Castleton for Florida anyone? Dude's like 6'10 220 and rail thin. Averaged 13 and 6 last year and is at 16,10 and 6 blocks a game through 2. Bol Bol, Evan Mobley, Kai Jones, Isiah Jackson, Isaiah Todd, I can go on and on. This isn't early 2000's anymore, long, tall, athletic rim runners/protectors and shooters is what you want. Gerth is no longer very valued. He just needs to get adjusted to the speed of the game and size coming from Wyoming he will be fine. As Nik said freshman bigs take time. Heck even Chet Holgrem isn't blowing everything out of the water at Gonzaga right now (not that they need him to).

I only have caught the highlights so far, but what stands out to me this year is the team's ability to get to the rim and create their own offense. Something we haven't really seen at this level with a Tad team.

Hot take here, but depending on how Allen can come back from surgery next year – we are seeing the foundation of a team that will be at an Elite Eight level in two years.

I only have caught the highlights so far, but what stands out to me this year is the team's ability to get to the rim and create their own offense. Something we haven't really seen at this level with a Tad team.

Hot take here, but depending on how Allen can come back from surgery next year – we are seeing the foundation of a team that will be at an Elite Eight level in two years.
Tad will have to keep recruiting well. Jabari won't be here in two years.

I am liking LOB. Great energy. Very active. Plus athlete at his size. Showed some range on his jumper I didn't know he had. Will never be our go-to scorer, but I think he's going to play a key role over his 4 years of giving us winning basketball/ #Tadball that frustrates the hell out of opponents.

I am liking LOB. Great energy. Very active. Plus athlete at his size. Showed some range on his jumper I didn't know he had. Will never be our go-to scorer, but I think he's going to play a key role over his 4 years of giving us winning basketball/ #Tadball that frustrates the hell out of opponents.
Shown a knack for a nifty pass here and there too.

Bingo, it will slow down for him, it just takes time. Most of his body work needs to be done in the off-season. That doesn't mean don't work now, but I figure you know what I'm getting at.

Back