What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- WOMEN'S BASKETBALL opens 2022/23 season hosting New Mexico State (Monday, 11/7/22, Noon MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The women's basketball team (Last season - 22-9 overall, 9-7 in Pac 12 play; #32 in NET rankings) is scheduled to open up their 2022/23 season hosting the New Mexico State Aggies (Last season - 10-19 overall, 6-12 in WAC play; #264 NET) tomorrow beginning at noon MT.

(For those interested who haven't been reading the general off-season thread (https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/wbb-off-season-news.147694/page-8), per @BeBe (in post #237), the story of why the game is beginning at such an unusual/ unfortunate (noon) time is
"
Here's the story from JR. It's wacky.
Game was to be on Tuesday. But that's election day and NCAA came out with a statement saying that no games could be played on election day. So NMSU wanted to play on Monday but CU MBB already had a game scheduled for Monday night. So with the time needed between games, the WBB had to play at mid day. Then NCAA said "never mind ... it's OK to play on election day" but NMSU said they could no longer play on Tuesday. Thus we have a noon Monday game. Blame the NCAA.
" .)

In the pre-season coaches' poll, the Buffs have been guesstimated to finish 8th in the Pac 12. Individually, 3 Buffs earned pre-season all-conference honors, with Jaylyn Sherrod one of fifteen within the conference named to the 1st team, while Quay Miller and Kindyll Wetta were named honorable mention.

Go Buffs!

(Preview not available as I type this.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more info on the Aggies:

Roster
- https://nmstatesports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
(They have a pretty large international contingent on their roster, represented with 2 from Senegal, and 1 each from Japan, Sweden, Nigeria, New Zealand, and Spain.)

Stats (From last season) - https://nmstatesports.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats
Schedule (from last season) - https://nmstatesports.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/2021-22
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video
- Scheduled to be available via live stream at https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs .

Link to link to Live Stats - https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=colo

Live audio - IF like in prior years (didn't look to see if there were any station changes). In addition to being available on 630 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network, looks like a free audio stream for the game will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2700&type=Live .

Games notes - Not available as I type this.

Last edited:
cubuffs.com preview - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/11/6/womens-basketball-colorado-hosts-new-mexico-state-in-opener.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Colorado women's basketball team begins its march to a second consecutive NCAA Tournament bid on Monday. The Buffaloes will open the 2022-23 season with an afternoon affair against New Mexico State at the CU Events Center (Noon MT).

Monday is Community Day at the game. Local elementary schools were invited to attend the game and fans can bring a brown bag lunch for the unusual tip time.

The early tip time won't keep the Buffs from being primed and ready to go.

"I don't think there will be any lack of emotion," head coach JR Payne explained. "We're all excited to play. We're excited that the season is actually here. We just can't wait to get on the floor."

The new-look Buffs got a chance to showcase a preview of what they will bring to the court this season with their exhibition win over Adams State on Tuesday. The team trotted out a starting lineup that featured just two players, Jaylyn Sherrod and Frida Formann, that have familiarity with that role. Tayanna Jones, who has started sparingly in her previous two seasons, was also joined by Quay Miller and Arizona transfer Aaronette Vonleh to open the exhibition.

All 13 players got time against ASU, allowing for everybody to soak in the atmosphere before it becomes real on Monday.

"We've been trying to prioritize the details of our execution," Payne said of the team's practice this week. "Especially in the half court where we're just trying to clean things up and make sure that we're all locked in on our jobs are on the floor and making sure we know what our different options are in various sets. Things like that."

Fans and outsiders of the Buffs might look at this team and see the obvious absence of mainstays Mya Hollingshed, Peanut Tuitele and Lesila Finau and have early doubts about the current squad. But inside the locker room, there is zero doubt that this roster has the talent and ability to lead this team into March.

"Outsiders might say 'Oh, you graduated Mya Hollingshed who was two-time First Team All Pac-12,' and that kind of stuff," Payne expressed. "My response is that we returned the Sixth Player of the Year [Miller], two All-Defensive players [Sherrod in 2021, Kindyll Wetta in 2022] and multiple players that are capable of scoring the ball in different ways. I love the balance that we bring. I think we're going to have much more balance this year, offensively and defensively. We're excited about that."

New Mexico State went 10-19 last season and was picked 10th in the Western Athletic Conference Preseason Coaches poll and 12th in the media voting. The Aggies' top returning scorer is Molly Kaiser, with 8.2 points per game last season.

Colorado owns a 10-2 series advantage, but the two teams haven't met since opening the 1995-96 season in Boulder. The Buffs have won the last nine meetings and haven't dropped a contest to the Aggies in Boulder in the previous five appearances.

Monday's game will be live-streamed on CUBuffs.com/WatchWBB. Cory Lopez and Carol Callan will have the call on both the Colorado Radio Network and the live stream.
"

Smart move to invite elementary school kids to get some butts in the seats.

Happy to have Carol Callan back. Sheetz did a great job last season but it was as a substitute for Callan and she is on the staff now. I think Callan is the best color analyst out there and she calls them as she sees them. Not afraid to say a bad call was a bad call.

1-0

Great Success Win GIF

Looked a bit out of sync in the 2nd quarter when the Aggies cut the lead, but got it back together after halftime.

It showed that Char sat out last season and played hurt the season before.

Loved the bench jumping and cheering in cleanup time when the freshmen scored. They know how hard they have worked. Nice to see it pay off.

It looked like the kids they brought in didn't stay long. Maybe they brought them in for the lunch hour? They did add some excitement while they were there.

As JR said, lots of stuff to work on but that's what the non conference schedule is about.

Iowa is playing a doubleheader tonight. I do not understand why CU didn't do this. Neither the women or men are going to sell out. Let people see both games if they want.

Media after today's win.

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/11/7/womens-basketball-millers-career-day-leads-buffs-in-opener.aspx

"
BOULDER – Senior Quay Miller made the most of her first career start in a Colorado uniform on Monday. The reigning Pac-12 Sixth Player of the Year totaled career-highs in points (22) and rebounds (17) in the Buffaloes' season-opening 85-55 win over New Mexico State at the CU Events Center.

"I wouldn't say anything got into me," Miller said about her performance. "We prepare [the same]. My coaches and teammates feed me the confidence to go do what I did. I don't think it was anything special about this game. I just did what we prepared for all week."

The Buffs shot 57.4% on the afternoon and went 50% (6-12) from behind the 3-point line. Miller and freshman Jada Wynn each made two 3's to lead the charge.

"We're really happy with the outcome," head coach JR Payne said after the win. "I'm happy with how we played. Sometimes you win and you think we have so much to work on, and of course, we have lots to work on still – but I'm really proud of how we've played. We tried some different lineups and people executed. In that second quarter, we didn't play very well, but our bounce back after the second half I thought showed growth very quickly. Overall, great start to the season."

Senior Jaylyn Sherrod was CU's only other scorer to hit double figures (11) as the team dished out 19 assists to 11 different contributors. All 13 players were able to get into the contest, helping the bench outscore NMSU 27-6.

"I want everyone to play every minute of every game," Payne added. "If there was a way I could get everybody to play 30 minutes a night I would love that. Everyone obviously played today and everyone seemed prepared to play and came in and contributed. I thought these guys [Miller and Sherrod] did a great job of keeping us calm and keeping us in the action. The new players came in and brought great energy and it's going to take some time to figure out a really clean rotation but I thought everybody played really well today."

Up Next
The Buffs will host Jackson State on Saturday (2 p.m. MT) to open the Preseason WNIT.

Notes
Miller's 17 rebounds were the most since Mya Hollingshed had 17 against Arizona State (1/22/21)…It was Miller's second-career double-double at CU…The Buffs are now 44-5 all-time in season openers…CU is 35-1 all-time in the month of November under Coach Payne…Monday' was CU's first 30-point win since beating Southern Utah by 34 (12/7/21)…CU's +18 rebounding margin (46-28) was its best since +20 against Air Force (11/28/20).
"
____________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2022/11/7/Box_Score_New_Mexico_St._at_Colorado_07_November.pdf

Watched in person. CU won in big part because they were bigger and able to absolutely dominate on the boards. Quay Miller picked up where she left off last season by scoring in a variety of ways and of course pulled down 17 boards in about 29 minutes.

Biggest issue hands down was once again turnovers, 20! They really need to cut those down.

Liked the way Jada Wynn had her feet set to receive a pass Jaylyn Sherrod which she buried at the buzzer in the first half.

There was a sweet play where Frida passed to Jaylen who passed to Quay for the layup. No dribbling. It was a pretty play.

Back