What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - Women's bball opens season hosting New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT, Sunday, 11/10, noon MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to the Buff women as they start their 2019/20 campaign against the NJIT Highlanders!
(The Highlander's coaching staff includes former Buff assistant LaTonya Watson.)

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/11/8/womens-basketball-wbb-opens-on-sunday.aspx

"
BOULDER – The 2019-20 women's basketball season gets underway for the Colorado Buffaloes on Sunday. Head coach JR Payne and the Buffs will host New Jersey Institute of Technology to kick off a short two-game homestand.

"I'm very excited," Payne exclaimed. "From the time season ends in March to the time and it begins Sunday, these guys have just worked so unbelievably hard. They've worked really hard on their relationships with each other and just building chemistry that we know is going to be invaluable throughout the season. We're thrilled. We can't wait to play Sunday."

Colorado did get a chance to showcase itself in the team's 92-45 exhibition win over Regis on Monday. The youthful Buffs got the opportunity to all their new faces into the action. Freshman Jaylyn Sherrod impressed the home crowd in her debut, posting 18 points and eight rebounds.

Payne and the coaching staff have had to be patient this offseason, working with almost a brand-new team. For the first time in four years, Colorado will be playing without Kennedy Leonard and Alexis Robinson, creating opportunities on the court that haven't always been there.

"I feel like with such a young group we've spent a lot of time going slowly," Payne acknowledged. "Initially, things were moving slowly but with purpose and understanding. We want to be really good at a few things and in time we'll be able to fill our tool chest with lots of different things. I think we've done a really good job as a group, building our strengths and where we are."

A lot of the early season focus will be put towards the team's three veterans. Senior Quinessa Caylao-Do and juniors Annika Jank and Mya Hollingshed will need to step into roles that they have not needed to in the past.

"[Yesterday], we shared each player's role," Payne continued. "That's something we like to do before the opening tip. It really gives the team a concrete idea of where their success lies. We tell everyone just to be an all-star in your role. If you can do that and I can do that and she can do that, then we have a really good basketball team."

Colorado plays its first two games of the season at home. Following NJIT, the team will welcome in Wisconsin (Nov. 14). CU will not have to travel far for its first road tests. The Buffs will head north to Wyoming (Nov. 17) and Colorado State (Nov. 22).
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links -
Game Notes -

Live video - Match will be viewable via a free live stream available at https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs (as well I assume somewhere on the Pac 12 App?).

Live Audio - https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=721508476402889827

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

It's always fun to see former coaches and players, even if they are now on the opposing team.

LaTonya did two coaching stints at Colorado and coaches some pretty good guards.

41-29 at the half was a 6 point lead with 3 minutes left in the second quarter. Gonna be a tough season. On the bright side Mya looks good

FT shooting and rebounding were awful today. Gave up way too many 3s. Nice win I guess but not sold on the team yet. McFarland or some other the old posts would would have 40 with that zone that NJIT played and the 10 foot jump shot in the lane open all night and not contested at all. Emma Clark is a liability if he shot is not falling imo. Would rather see Knight in there.

IMO, there is no excuse for CU teams being abysmal from the FT line. No excuse at all. It's about concentration and practice.

CU teams have given up way too many 3's for several years now. They don't defend the 3 at all for the most part.

Jackie McFarland was a special player and she would have shredded the zone.

Article after today's win (with highlights embedded in the tweet) -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/11/10/womens-basketball-hollingshed-leads-buffs-in-opening-win.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado junior Mya Hollingshed was one of four Buffaloes to score in double figures in the women's basketball season-debut 87-50 win over NJIT at the CU Events Center on Sunday.

Hollingshed, a junior from Houston, Texas, totaled 22 points on 8-of-12 shooting to lead the Buffs. Senior Quinessa Caylao-Do totaled 12 points, going 4-for-8 from the field. Sophomores Peanut Tuitele and Lesila Finau each finished the afternoon with 10 points.

The Buffs controlled the game from the opening tip, leading from start to finish. CU's lead hit 20 points in the third quarter and grew to the 23-point spread by the final horn.

Freshman Jaylyn Sherrod handed out 11 of the team's 23 assists in her collegiate debut. Sophomore Emma Clarke led the team with seven rebounds.

As a team, Colorado shot 46.3 percent (31-67) and went 38.9 percent (7-18) from long range. CU held a slight lead in rebounding, totaling one more board than the visiting Highlanders (37-36).

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado outscored NJIT 40-10 in the paint and totaled 25 points off of NJIT's 26 turnovers.

NOTES: Sherrod's 11 assists were the most in CU debut since Ann Troyan recorded 11 against Colorado State (11/16/79)… Colorado's 23 team assists were the most by the Buffs since handing out 23 in a 106-47 win over Westminster (Mo.) on Dec. 21, 2017…Colorado has now won 20 consecutive season openers and is 41-5 all-time…Sunday marked Hollingshed's seventh career 20-point game...NJIT's 12 3FGM were the most by a CU opponent since Utah hit 12 last season (1/18/19).

UPCOMING: Colorado continues at home this week, hosting Wisconsin on Thursday, Nov. 14 (7 p.m. MT).

QUOTES
Head Coach JR Payne

Overall Thoughts
"I just told the team we are undefeated this season. Even if it was not beautiful, it was a win. It was a game of ups and downs. I didn't think that we played particularly well but there is a lot of good things that you can take from this ball game. Early games are just that, early games. Some things are going to look good and there are things that we need to improve. The great thing is that we played an opponent different than ourselves and came out with a victory. We outrebounded our opponent and we have a lot of areas that we are going to be able to see on film that we can say, 'wow yeah we can get better there.' That's the fun part about an early game but [I'm] excited that we played in spurts and won the game."

On Needing to Improve on Rebounding, Free Throws and 3-Point Shooting
"Well, those are what coaches talk about as keys to winning the ball game; taking care of the ball, rebounding and making free throws. Two of those three we didn't do particularly well tonight but those are things that we can improve. Some of our best free-throw shooters didn't shoot like they normally do tonight. In terms of rebounding, we just need to continue to have a more aggressive mindset on the glass."

On Colorado's Defense
"I think when we're at our best, we're being aggressive defensively and it showed in the fourth quarter. We could have done that from the beginning, I think our mindset was we wanted to be aggressive. They were running an offense that even though we prepared for it throughout the week—it's a lot of big-little screening, a lot of back screens and things for a young ball club like ours, our communication just isn't where it needs to be yet. We'd say 'switch' and someone would not switch and things like that were difficult for us early on. It's an area where we can grow. But forcing turnovers is great for us."
"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=13209

Press conference-

CU post players looked like they were short arming those open shots in the lane. I think Witaker air balled one. Got to be better on those. They should shoot a good percentage of those as none of them were contested

Air Force beat NJIT by 20 as well. I sure hope we are better then Air Force. Next 3 games will say a lot

Back