What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- Women's Bball @ Wyoming for 1st road game of the season (Sunday, 11/17, 1:00 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to the team in their border war against the Cowgirls, with the opening tip an hour or so away!
(Hope the team can buck the trend where Wyoming teams often seem to be kryptonite for the Buff teams (both bballs, volleyball) that play them, although volleyball was able to get their win earlier this season, so hopefully WBB can keep it going.)

Preview- https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/11/16/womens-basketball-buffs-face-cowgirls-in-first-road-test.aspx

"
LARAMIE, Wyo. – Colorado women's basketball takes to the road for the first time in the 2019-20 season, traveling up the road to Wyoming on Sunday.

Colorado (2-0) is fresh off a 74-57 blowout-win over Wisconsin on Thursday. Senior Quinessa Caylao-Do led the team with 16 points in the win. The Buffaloes scored 45 first-half points and led by as many as 24 in the third quarter.

The road has not been kind of late for the Buffs. Colorado went 1-10 last season away from the CU Events Center. Colorado has had success in Laramie, owning a 15-8 record at Wyoming.

Head coach JR Payne and the Buffs know they are in for a tough battle.

"It'll be great," Payne said about the visit. "It'll simulate a Pac-12 type environment in that they have just tremendous fan support. It'll be really loud. Wyoming is a very tough team to beat. Three years ago, we were number 15 or 16 in the country and they came in here and beat us. We were undefeated. Q [Quinessa Caylao-Do] is probably the only one that remembers that game, but I know we remember it and will be prepared for that one."

"I've never played in Wyoming," junior Annika Jank added. "But being on the road, in general, is hard. I think just working on communication, and we've already been doing that, but continuing to improve that will be very key when we go on the road. I heard Wyoming is loud and their fans are loud so I think communication will be the number one key for us."

Wyoming (2-1) fell one game short of winning the WNIT last season. The Cowgirls put together a run in the tournament that culminated in a 67-46 loss to eventual champion Arizona. Wyoming is coming off its first loss of the season at Denver on Thursday. Quinn Weidemann led the Cowgirls with 14 points in the loss.

The game will be live-streamed on the Mountain West Digital Network. Tipoff is set for 1 p.m. MT.
"
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Direct links to:
Live Video - https://gowyo.com/sports/2017/9/1/mountain-west-digital-network.aspx

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2349 and https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=724688689087713184

Live Stats - https://admin.gowyo.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

yesterday at the soccer game Aubry Knight was in a walking boot. Hope the foot or ankle is all right

I'm not getting any video stream, but doesn't look like I'm missing anything so far, as the cowgirls are showing up in live stats 0-8 4 minutes into the 1st quarter.

Having made a few road trips to Laramie, I remember well how difficult it is to play in that arena.

Happy with the win. Always things to work on, but a coach will say that until the last game of the season.

Proud of the way the team hung on to win today.

Yes, the Wyo live stream was strange.

Article on today's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/11/17/womens-basketball-buffs-hold-off-cowgirls.aspx

"
LARAMIE, Wyo. — Colorado's first road test of the season came down the wire. The Buffaloes women's basketball team held off a late Wyoming charge, earning a 66-56 win in front of 2,531 Cowgirl faithful on Sunday.

Colorado (3-0) got off to a slow start in the first quarter but overtook the lead on the last shot of the period. CU's lead grew to as many as 14 in the third quarter, but Wyoming fought its way back in the fourth quarter, sliming the deficit to five points in the final minute.

Four Buffs finished in double figures. Junior Mya Hollingshed led the team with 17 points before fouling out in the fourth quarter. Sophomore Emma Clarke recorded her first career double-double, finishing with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Freshman Jaylyn Sherrod and senior Quinessa Caylao-Do each finished the day with 10.

Colorado finished the afternoon outrebounding the Cowgirls, 46-27. The Buffs shot 44.0 percent from the field (22-50), and limited Wyoming to just 18-of-56.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado's bench outscored Wyoming, 24-4. Sherrod led the CU reserves with her 10 points, while Knight had eight and freshman Charlotte Whittaker totaled six.

NOTES: Colorado improves to 3-0 to start the season for the second consecutive season…CU's 20 free throws made were the most since making 31 against Northern Colorado in last season's opener…Colorado made just two 3-pointers on Sunday, the fewest since making just one against Pepperdine last season…CU had a season-high 16 second-chance points…Colorado held Wyoming to zero fast-break points.

NEXT UP: The Buffs will be back in Colorado next week, albeit on the road in Fort Collins. Colorado and Colorado State will play for the 31st time in school history on Nov. 22.

QUOTES
Head Coach JR Payne

Overall Thoughts
"I'd rather win a game by 20. But the truth is with such a young ballclub, we gained a lot more from this type of game. We haven't been in any games where we've had to hit free throws down the stretch or we've had to get the ball in against pressure or we've had to play against the defense that's really alternating what they're doing. There are just different things that you see throughout a season. This is good for us. Especially, to come out on top. But the learning curve that can happen in a game like this is good for us."

On not having Hollingshed or Jank down the stretch
"We went small at the end just trying to guard the 3-point line a little bit better. We ended relying on everybody even Jay [Sherrod] who's a freshman—having two point guards in Sila [Finau] Jaylyn and Quinessa [Caylao-Do] those are three of our best aggressive ball handlers to get open and handle the pressure was important down the stretch. Then kids like Aubrey [Knight] and Emma [Clarke we're just so good on the glass down the stretch of the game. Even though we were smaller we were able to rely on just a team effort you know on the glass which was really important."

On Emma Clarke
"Part of Emma's role this year is to have a great presence on the glass. She takes those things personally. She says, 'Okay, give me a job to do I'll crush it.' She's had a great presence on the glass this year and will continue to do so. I'm proud of her for the double-double. She's just grown since she arrived as a freshman. She's just grown incredibly."
"

Back