What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gameday - CU vs UT Martin (4pm MT)

Yeah I totally understand that. I think I might be misunderstood, but I'm willing to eat my shoe on this one. Was not meaning to be negative or dogmatic.

No worries. When that lineup came in, Darth and I were saying how nice it was that we now have to go that deep on the bench (3 walk ons) to look like non-BCS team. I know what you meant. But we won by 25, man. That's why I reacted to your post. :smile2:

I think it is worth pointing out that we legitimately 10-deep. We can roll various combinations of ten different players out on the floor. This will help a lot late in the season. It should also help against just about anybody we play at the Keg. Foul trouble? What's that?

The last lineup with Eli, Mills, and 3 walk-ons even seemed to move the ball around effectively. Looked fundamentally sound. I'd love to have access to Tad's practices.

I think it is worth pointing out that we legitimately 10-deep. We can roll various combinations of ten different players out on the floor. This will help a lot late in the season. It should also help against just about anybody we play at the Keg. Foul trouble? What's that?

Yep. And I think the biggest impact it's going to make is that players should be able to bring the defensive intensity Tad wants every night. In the past, it was asking maybe too much from the team to play that way while logging the minutes the main 6 guys were having to. There were so many games over the past 3 seasons when the team was obviously mentally & physically worn down.

I forgot one more good thing. The freshmen got a ton of minutes - 13 for Fletcher, 18 for Hopkins, 19 for Thomas, and 25 for Gordon. At one point in the second half there were four freshmen in the lineup being led by the wily veteran Xavier Talton.

The last lineup with Eli, Mills, and 3 walk-ons even seemed to move the ball around effectively. Looked fundamentally sound. I'd love to have access to Tad's practices.

Yeah. Our walk ons are clearly putting in the work and are giving a great look in practices. They looked crisp.

It was the freshmen that broke the game open. UT-Martin spent all their energy hanging with the starters. Then guys like Hopkins and Fletcher came in and killed them off.

Sundays for whatever reason never are a great crowds. I think this is a combination of the broncos and other things to do during a weekend for students. I remember last years Cal game. There was not a Broncos game, but it was a beautiful day outside and the students did not show up. I expect a good crowd for the wyoming game.
I've noticed that for baseball games compared to Saturdays. Religious people?

The Bad Things: The crowd. Sure, the Broncos were playing, but only 50% of season ticket holders showed up?

18 turnovers, including four by Booker.

I understand doubling the post, but we are making it too easy for the opponent to get the ball back outside for an uncontested three. UT-M hit 12 threes. It was either a swish or an airball. Talton gave up a four point play on a play just like I described. We did this a lot last year as well.

The Good Things: Wes Gordon is a beast. 6-7 from the floor and eight boards. I thought he had at least four blocks, but ESPN says he only had two. He did spoil what could have been a SportsCenter top 10 play on an alley-oop from Spencer to XJ. Gordon thought the oop was for him and XJ landed on his shoulders.

The starting five contributed 29 boards, including six for Spencer. Dre might have had 15 by himself if he were playing, but the boarding by committee just might work.

82% free throw shooting.

No emcee!! No highly over-dramatized grovelling for pizza or McDonald's.

The people that were there were loud. GA was pretty full.
Tickets are still relatively cheap, guessing most don't care too much about finding a taker or even donating for ONE game.

Official attendance was 8408. I'm not sure how student attendance is factored in here. I'm guessing they withhold 2000 tickets as part of non-full season ticket plan/single game seats/sponsors/visiting/Mike Bohn's lifetime seats however.

I've noticed that for baseball games compared to Saturdays. Religious people?

It's not religious people. It's just that Sunday is the lazy, stay at home day. Broncos game didn't do any favors, either. Not sure how many Maryland games you've attended, but even the "Sunday night hoops" ACC games had a harder time drawing in big crowds. It had to be a top-notch opponent... even a mid-tier NCSU type game just simply would not draw on Sundays like it would on a Saturday.

Hard not to be impressed with the front court. Gordon and Scott should be a special, special duo that will give opponents fits. Askia has to be a little bit concerning, but there really aren't any better options available at this time. Will be interesting to see how the next 4 games unfold. Would like to see Askia have a few good games, and get some confidence. Going to be hard to keep Dustin Thomas off the court.

Would like to see Spencer be more assertive. Obviously did a great job getting to the free throw line, but for the most part I still have doubts about this offense in the half court set

Don't really like that this game was scheduled at the same time as the Broncos game, as it effected attendance, but perhaps with scheduling it's unavoidable.

It's not religious people. It's just that Sunday is the lazy, stay at home day. Broncos game didn't do any favors, either. Not sure how many Maryland games you've attended, but even the "Sunday night hoops" ACC games had a harder time drawing in big crowds. It had to be a top-notch opponent... even a mid-tier NCSU type game just simply would not draw on Sundays like it would on a Saturday.
That's entirely possible with Sundays being a lazier day, hadn't thought of that.

Most of the Terps games I've been to have been on the weekend, I'm non-discriminatory in terms of Saturday versus Sundays. I haven't noticed any difference real between Saturday versus Sunday Maryland games, it be an interesting case study though. Until recently, they always sold out all the ACC games (and previously virtually every game). I'm not sure how much of a difference there be if they played NC State on a Saturday afternoon versus a Sunday afternoon. Obviously, I'd expect better attendance on Saturday night versus Sunday night.

Hard not to be impressed with the front court. Gordon and Scott should be a special, special duo that will give opponents fits. Askia has to be a little bit concerning, but there really aren't any better options available at this time. Will be interesting to see how the next 4 games unfold. Would like to see Askia have a few good games, and get some confidence. Going to be hard to keep Dustin Thomas off the court.

Would like to see Spencer be more assertive. Obviously did a great job getting to the free throw line, but for the most part I still have doubts about this offense in the half court set

Don't really like that this game was scheduled at the same time as the Broncos game, as it effected attendance, but perhaps with scheduling it's unavoidable.

That's all up to TV (PAC-12 Network most of the time), and if you're wondering if they care about when the Broncos play, the answer is a big NO.

That's all up to TV (PAC-12 Network most of the time), and if you're wondering if they care about when the Broncos play, the answer is a big NO.

I knew the time was determined by the network, but assumed Tad Boyle had some say on which day of the week the game is actually played.

I knew the time was determined by the network, but assumed Tad Boyle had some say on which day of the week the game is actually played.
Not sure how this whole dynamic works. ESPN games, the day of the game is probably made more in terms of what the Disney folks want. My guess is CU had little say what date the KU game would be.

Our first round of subs was impressive. 2 or 3 freshman came in and boom, scoring. It is going to be tough to keep any of them on the bench, and luckily I don't think Tad wants to. The Mayor started to pick it up in the 2nd half. I think he is starting to feel out his new role. On that same thought, I think the 2nd half showed a lot of what this team plans to do, it looked like some things started clicking. They especially came out after the time out that was called after the 2nd awful alley-oop attempt. They started playing a lot more fundamentally sound after Tad chewed them out.

Gordon is a beast in the paint. Scott is maybe the best post player in the conference. We are going to be good, maybe even special in the front court. Did not expect to see that without Dre. We won the boards by +20 last night.

With the line change at the end, it looks like we may have some 3pt weapons on the walk-on squad. Obviously will need to see some more from them in game situations, but their ball movement and shot selection was extremely impressive.

With the line change at the end, it looks like we may have some 3pt weapons on the walk-on squad. Obviously will need to see some more from them in game situations, but their ball movement and shot selection was extremely impressive.

:rofl:

They moved the ball around the perimeter better than our starters. At least thats what just about everyone in the student section started whispering before #12 hit his 3 pointer. Maybe the passes where just quicker and crisper, which may come from those 5 working together more often in practice.

Two back to back in rhythm 3's from the corner on a team that previously was 5-31 is a jump in production. Understandably against UTM's reserves, I would like to see Nelson in the rotation a bit more as we work through the easier part of our schedule to see if he may be a weapon out there.

The freshman immediately improve ball movement when they are in the game. Specifically Thomas and Hopkins. They both are very good and driving and getting defenders to collapse on them and kicking it out.

I know Ski didn't think he had a good game, you could tell by his body language. He also got mad at XJ when he didn't outlet to him in transition one time. But outside of that one 3pt shot early in the shot clock from deep, outside of the offensive flow, which he subsequently got pulled for, I thought he had a good game. Ski is still trying to find his spot on this team. There is so much more offensive talent this year he doesn't need to shoot it 10+ times a game. He penetrated a couple of times and missed, but they were good shots. He also penetrated a couple of times and was able to dish to the bigs, that's what he can do this year to be of value. Abs mentioned this during the game, but Ski is an underrated on-ball defender. He stays in front of his guy, moves his feet and closes out on shooters, not sure what more you can ask for him on that end of the court.

Didn't get a chance to watch much of the Baylor game, but from what I saw in this game was pretty intriguing. I kind of got the vibe that Spencer and Askia were set on getting the freshmen and the newcomers the ball, which I don't mind because if they get acclimated to the college game now then when we're playing Kansas, Oklahoma State, Arizona, etc. Then they'll be ready.

Also, this is the first time I've seen Thomas play and wow. I saw him shoot a 3 and his shot honestly reminded me a little of Carmelo. Its so smooth and he will be a huge asset for us. He also had a beautiful drive and spin move and shot off the glass.

Overall, I thought the freshmen played well (Gordon in particular)

The freshman immediately improve ball movement when they are in the game. Specifically Thomas and Hopkins. They both are very good and driving and getting defenders to collapse on them and kicking it out.

I know Ski didn't think he had a good game, you could tell by his body language. He also got mad at XJ when he didn't outlet to him in transition one time. But outside of that one 3pt shot early in the shot clock from deep, outside of the offensive flow, which he subsequently got pulled for, I thought he had a good game. Ski is still trying to find his spot on this team. There is so much more offensive talent this year he doesn't need to shoot it 10+ times a game. He penetrated a couple of times and missed, but they were good shots. He also penetrated a couple of times and was able to dish to the bigs, that's what he can do this year to be of value. Abs mentioned this during the game, but Ski is an underrated on-ball defender. He stays in front of his guy, moves his feet and closes out on shooters, not sure what more you can ask for him on that end of the court.
The one thing that will keep him playing over the frosh is the bolded. Jaron, for instance, has a LONG way to go. Happily, it's not an effort thing, its a he has no idea what hes doing thing. They all help way too much and leave their man. Except for the Beast, of course. He's awesome.

They moved the ball around the perimeter better than our starters. At least thats what just about everyone in the student section started whispering before #12 hit his 3 pointer. Maybe the passes where just quicker and crisper, which may come from those 5 working together more often in practice.

Two back to back in rhythm 3's from the corner on a team that previously was 5-31 is a jump in production. Understandably against UTM's reserves, I would like to see Nelson in the rotation a bit more as we work through the easier part of our schedule to see if he may be a weapon out there.

are you talking about the 3, where the guy shot it flat-footed? I would ease up on any garbage time predictions.

I skipped yesterday because I had my own Rec League game in Westminster starting at 6, so I was switching between Buffs and Broncos (Need to hook up that 2nd TV). There is no doubt this team will be able to score as long as they shoot decent. Too many athletes and weapons. They still need to find their identity defensively, but I think the Freshmen will make major strides there by the time PAC season rolls around. Put things together on defense and this team can be really damn good. I'm in the minority here, but I continue to think Fletcher has been the best true Freshman, his shooting will make a big difference and he seems to have an incredibly high basketball IQ. Being a lefty always seems to give that extra advantage on O too.

Finally, Josh Scott is a man.

Spenser starts the campaign the face [and mustache] of the program. Dinwoodie is the first person that comes to mind as CU's future 1st round or lottery pick in the NBA. By the time conference play comes around, I wouldn't be surprised if the future NBA star power shifts from PG to a Forward.

His name is Spencer Dinwiddie - not Spenser Dinwoodie. When he leaves CU for the NBA, he will be drafted as a PG or as a Combo Guard, not as a Forward. He has the full responsibility of the management and facilitation of the team on the floor. According to Coach Boyle, he's playing a "complete game". He's doing exactly what he needs to do for the development of his team this early in the season. They will be a force when conference play comes around.

His name is Spencer Dinwiddie - not Spenser Dinwoodie. When he leaves CU for the NBA, he will be drafted as a PG or as a Combo Guard, not as a Forward. He has the full responsibility of the management and facilitation of the team on the floor. According to Coach Boyle, he's playing a "complete game". He's doing exactly what he needs to do for the development of his team this early in the season. They will be a force when conference play comes around.

Good point. Spencer may not be scoring a bunch, but he is being a PG. That is where he will play in the NBA, so it is good that that is what is being demanded of him. Would like to see him get more assists like 8-12, but to get drafted high first round, he needs to keep his TO's low and his points in the 10-15 a game range IMO

Back