What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread - #25/20 lacrosse hosts Oregon (Sat., 3/23, 1:00 PM MT) and #15/18 DU (Tuesday, 4:00)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to the team as they finish off their home stand (1) finishing the 1st half of the Pac season facing off with the Ducks, followed by (2) finishing off their non-conference schedule with a match-up against yet another ranked team in the Pioneers!

Preview (For Oregon game)-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/3/21/lacrosse-hosts-oregon-to-finish-first-half-of-pac-12-play.aspx

"
By: Linda Sprouse, Associate SID
Release: March 21, 2019

BOULDER — The No. 25 University of Colorado lacrosse team (4-4) will play its third of four straight home games on Saturday, March 23, against Oregon (2-7) at Kittredge Field. Opening draw is slated for 1 p.m.

HOW TO WATCH: The game will be streamed on Pac-12 Plus (https://buffs.me/2Tk9wh5b). Live stats, as usual, are available at CUBuffs.com/lacrosse.

GAME PROMOTIONS: The Buffs will host a youth clinic after the game. Participants must be in eighth grade or younger.

ABOUT THE BUFFS: The Buffs are 4-4 overall and are 3-1 in Pac-12 Conference play. They are currently ranked 25th in the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association Poll and are 20th in the NIKE/US Lacrosse poll. Last weekend, CU fell 11-5 to then-No. 22 USC, but rebounded the next day with a 15-3 win against Arizona State.

ABOUT THE DUCKS: Oregon is 2-7 this season, which includes a 0-4 mark in Pac-12 play. The Ducks have lost five straight games heading into Saturday's tilt.

Shannon Williams leads UO with 43 points this season and has 25 goals and 18 assists. Second on the team is Carlie Leach, who has recorded 16 goals and three assists for 19 points. The other Duck with 10 or more goals is Jamie Level, who has 10 goals and five assists. Level leads UO with 37 draw controls, while Madeline Reece is second with 23.

Rachel Hall has played in all nine game for the Ducks, recording 518:39 minutes. She has allowed 13.42 goals per game and has collected a .504 save percentage as she has stopped 118 shots while allowing 116 goals.

UP NEXT: The Buffs wrap up their four-game homestand against in-state rival Denver on Tuesday, March 26. That game will begin at 4 p.m. The Buffs will sign autographs following the contest.
"

Media links -

Games notes (For Oregon) - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/3/21//2019_Lacrosse_Notes_3_21.pdf

Live stats
(Both games) - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wlax/summary

Live video :

Vs. Oregon (Free live stream, Saturday, 1:00 PM MT) - https://pac-12.com/live/pac-12-plus

Vs. DU (Free live stream, Tuesday, 4:00 PM MT) - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Game day- beat the quacks!

(I probably won't be able to provide much in the way of game updates today.)

Article after and highlights from the game.

"
Game Recap: Lacrosse | March 23, 2019 | Tommy Henderson, SID Graduate Assistant

BOULDER –The 25th-ranked University of Colorado lacrosse team defeated the Oregon Ducks 15-6 on Saturday, moving to 5-4 on the season and 4-1 in Pac-12 play.

Seniors Miranda Stinson, Samantha Nemirov and Sophie Castilloled the way for the Buffs offensively, combining for 11 goals and four assists, while the defense limited Oregon to just seven shots on goal.

DEFENSE: The Colorado defense turned in one of its best performances of the season, limiting Oregon to just 12 shot attempts and generating 24 turnovers, both season-bests. Two Colorado defenders recorded new career-highs in caused turnovers, Olivia Aschman (4) and Eliza Cahill (3), while Macaul Mellor (3) and Elinor Wolf (2) tied career-highs.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado outshot Oregon by a final margin of 44-12, while owning a 29-7 advantage in shots on goal. The Buffs' two leading scorers, Stinson and Nemirov, combined to score nine goals on 22 shot attempts.

Colorado also held a 16-7 advantage controlling draws. Making this disparity more impressive, Oregon won the first three draws of the game, before CU won 16 of the next 20.

NOTABLE:
  • With four goals, and two assists, Samantha Nemirov registered a point for the 29th consecutive game, tying Darby Kiernan's school record 29-game point-streak
  • Miranda Stinson scored five goals for the third time in the last four games and picked up a career-high five ground balls
  • Two defenders recorded new career-highs in caused turnovers, Olivia Aschman (4) and Eliza Cahill (3), while Macaul Mellor tied her career-high (3)
  • Colorado defense limited Oregon to just 12 shot attempts, the fewest of the season; Oregon's four second-half shot attempts was also an opponent season-low
  • Colorado's defense forced a season-high 17 caused turnovers, the fifth-most in a single game in school history

UP NEXT: Colorado will host No. 15 Denver on Tuesday at 4 p.m. on Kittredge Field.

QUOTABLE:
Head Coach Ann Elliott Whidden
General
"I thought we did a good job in the end of the first half, battling back and making some plays. My message to the team overall is that you got to be ready for your chances, and if you get one opportunity you've got to be ready and confident and make it count and I thought at times we did that, and at other time we didn't and we played a little too undisciplined, and we have got to be a more disciplined team."

On improved effort in second half
"I thought we did a better job here in the second half but at the same time it goes back to making sure we make our opportunities count. When you're up its easy to just make any play and do anything because maybe it doesn't matter but we play a lot of great teams and when we are in these close games, we got to have the mentality that everything counts. We have to rest our defense a little bit better and at times we did that. Hopefully, we will get the message and grow from this moving into Tuesday's game."

On turning point late in the first half
"I think obviously for us we try to run where everybody is a threat, and I think for Miranda it wasn't a great yellow card and we have got to be more disciplined. I think Alex said something quick to her and I think she responded at the end of the day and she stepped up and got a little pissed off so I think if you can play well when you're a little bit pissed off, I think you'll be a pretty good player."

On defense generating 24 turnovers
"Our game plan on defense wasn't any different except we wanted to be aggressive. I think we need to do a better job playing with our feet and playing body defense but at the same time I thought they did a good job being aggressive, crashing in the middle and trying to come up with some ground balls."

On what she's learned at halfway point of conference season
"I think we learned we have got to be better. At the end of the day we have had spurts when we have done things well and spurts where we haven't played very well. For us, in this second half of our season we have to find some consistency and confidence. We are a very talented team with a lot of potential and if we can flip our mentality a little bit and come every day and play with the same confidence and composure then we are a top team. If not, then any given day anything can happen."
"
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wlax&id=12748

Congrats to senior Miranda Stinson! (Have to think if she continues her strong play she'll be one of the favorites for conference offensive player of the year.)

Article on her award - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/3/25/...up-third-pac-12-player-of-the-week-award.aspx

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And, the team remains #25 in the coaches' poll.

(Per https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/media/rankings/college/division-1-women , they also remain #20 in the U.S. Lacrosse Magazine (believe it's the media?) poll.)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Note - just before the men's bball game started this evening, I caught the end of the USC - Stanford lax game on the Pac 12 Network, and USC stayed undefeated in conference by the narrowest of margins, winning by one goal at home. (Stanford appeared to tie the game with a second or two left, but the Tree shooter was called for dangerous play (her follow through was too close to a defender), and the goal disallowed.)

Stanford will have a quick chance to get revenge, as USC is scheduled to play in Palo Alto next Sunday, with the Buffs set to visit USC the weekend after (Friday, 4/5).

nice fight to come back, but went down 5-0 fast and never looked comfortable till late in the second half. Grozier and Rudy have to become consistent threats because teams are going to double team Stinson and make everybody else beat them. Freshman need to grow up more. Got to get better

Hope the team finds a way to get off to quicker starts.

Oh well, they get a pretty nice/ long ~9-10 day game break to recover and work on things before completing the 2nd half of the Pac regular schedule STRONG, including marquee 2nd match-ups of the season at conference-leading USC (Friday April 5th) and hosting Stanford (Friday, April 12th).

Article on today's game.

Last edited:
Back