What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread - Men's Bball opens Pac 12 play hosting Stanford (Sunday, 11/28/21, 5:00 PM MT) and visiting #5 UCLA (Wed., 7:30 PM MT)

Jabari has a good mid range game, a lot of length, and he's athletic. I'm not saying he can't shoot from 3 at all, he just got a bigger toolbox than some do. Some nights, he's gonna score a lot. Some nights, you'll see what you saw in that one. This team has high upside, that much I'm sure of.

Lots of tips & clear-outs that got us team rebounds, though. Won't show in the stats, but he made a big impact on our rebounding.
Stats are overrated plenty. What you posted means the guy is busting his ass and doesn't care about the numbers. He wants to win, period. You can't put a price on that as a teammate.

Did anyone save/listen to KOA, post-game? Tad talking about EB, said something, that he'd like to have him back for a Covid year, but EB wanted to go for the NBA. I'd never heard anything along those lines. Europe wouldn't surprise me.
I think he said “pro ball.” Not “NBA” specifically.

No one likes moral victories but since the spread is 13.5, a reasonably close road loss to a veteran talented UCLA squad would be tolerable. I think Tad even said we'd be playing with house money, so let it hang out.

Preview article for today's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/11/30/mens-basketball-boyles-buffs-set-for-matchup-at-no-5-ucla.aspx

"
LOS ANGELES — Before the season ever started, Colorado coach Tad Boyle looked at the schedule and knew this week would be a big one for the Buffaloes.

Three games in seven days, with two Pac-12 contests and two games against top 25 foes in the mix.

Sunday evening, the Buffs took care of the first part of the stretch, holding off Stanford for an 80-76 win at home to improve to 6-1 overall and 1-0 in the Pac-12.

But the task becomes much more difficult beginning Wednesday, when the Buffs travel to Los Angeles for a 7:30 p.m. (MT) meeting with No. 5 UCLA at Pauley Pavilion (Pac-12 Networks). Then comes a noon matchup Saturday at home against No. 13 Tennessee.

"That's why (Sunday's) game was so important," Boyle said. "I know what's on the horizon. All you can ask for in life is an opportunity."

Wednesday's game against the Bruins is no doubt a big opportunity for Boyle's young Buffs. Coming off a season that saw UCLA make a surprising run to the Final Four, Mick Cronin's team was ranked No. 2 in the nation early until absorbing an 83-63 loss to Gonzaga last week. But UCLA also owns a win over Villanova already this season, and with a group that returns nearly every key player from a year ago — as well as some important additions — it's no wonder the Bruins were a near-unanimous pick to win the conference title this season.

"We've got to put our hard hats on," Boyle said. "UCLA, they don't beat themselves. You're going to have to make plays, play with mental toughness. They're not going to give you anything, you have to earn everything."

The Buffs have had decent success against UCLA in recent seasons. Colorado split with the Bruins last year, losing early in the conference season by three points at Pauley Pavilion before collecting a nine-point victory at home late in the year.
"

An interesting perspective from the LA Times. I've been wanting to see our big guys all play well at the same time and have been a little disappointed. As mentioned above, Tad did say we're playing with house money. Being totally relaxed and loose is about our only hope.

Who is gonna call the game? I'll probably have it mute I'm guessing. Jesus, playing the #5 team in the country and we can't even get on ESPN U or something. Smfh.

Who is gonna call the game? I'll probably have it on mute I'm guessing. Jesus, playing the #5 team in the country and we can't even get on ESPN U or something. Smfh.

1638395787032.png

11.6 behind UCLA in AdjEM on KenPom (which I believe is supposed to be scaled to points per game)

The line is UCLA -13.5

My expectations are low; but I'm still excited to watch this game.

Hopefully they're in it late and anything can happen.

View attachment 48399

11.6 behind UCLA in AdjEM on KenPom (which I believe is supposed to be scaled to points per game)

The line is UCLA -13.5

My expectations are low; but I'm still excited to watch this game.

Hopefully they're in it late and anything can happen.

We need at least one, and maybe two players to just go off tonight to have a chance. Could happen, EB, Jabari, and Kee all have it in them.

Parquet needs to lock down Juzang. My big concern is the perimeter defense on Campbell and Bernard. CU hasn't defended the 3 point line well and those two have been deadly to start the season. To have any chance, CU has to win the rebounding battle and knock down their 3s and FTs. I have some confidence in the rebounding battle, given CU's size, but I have big concerns about 3s and FTs tonight, given that only Parquet and Battey have played in an environment with a large, hostile crowd.

Parquet needs to lock down Juzang. My big concern is the perimeter defense on Campbell and Bernard. CU hasn't defended the 3 point line well and those two have been deadly to start the season. To have any chance, CU has to win the rebounding battle and knock down their 3s and FTs. I have some confidence in the rebounding battle, given CU's size, but I have big concerns about 3s and FTs tonight, given that only Parquet and Battey have played in an environment with a large, hostile crowd.
I agree on the point we need to be better than we have from 3 to keep this close. More importantly though, we need to stop leaving FT points on the table every game. Lately it's been between 6-9 ppg game we're losing because of poor shooting from the line. In game like this and the one Saturday, those points are critical.

There was a very decent article on the front page of the LA Times Sports Section today
stating how good and promising the Buffs are this season:
Colorado presents big problems for No. 5 UCLA
Johnson and Nwuba lead depleted Bruins to counter imposing trio in Pac-12 opener.
UCLA’S MYLES JOHNSON battles for a loose ball with Villanova’s Brandon Slater last month. (Wally Skalij Los Angeles Times)
By Ben Bolch
It’s a different sort of altitude that UCLA must contend with in its Pac-12 Conference opener against Colorado.
The team known for playing its home games a mile above sea level is going to bring an imposing frontcourt into Pauley Pavilion on Wednesday evening to face a Bruins counterpart that’s depleted in that department.
Redshirt senior forward Cody Riley will sit out because of the sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee that has sidelined him since the first half of UCLA’s season opener. Redshirt freshman Mac Etienne is out for the season with a knee injury.
That leaves Myles Johnson and Kenneth Nwuba as the only Bruins big men to contend with Colorado’s Evan Battey, Jabari Walker and Tristan da Silva.
The trio of Buffaloes powered their team to an 80-76 victory over Stanford in the Pac-12 opener Sunday. The 6-foot-8 Battey, a Los Angeles native who overcame a stroke nearly four years ago that forced him to relearn how to talk, scored a career-high 22 points while making all four of his three-pointers against the Cardinal.
The 6-9 Walker, an Inglewood native who added considerable bulk to his muscular 215-pound frame, has three consecutive double-doubles while the 6-9 Da Silva — the younger brother of former Stanford standout Oscar da Silva — has scored in double figures in three of his last four games.
Colorado (6-1, 1-0 Pac-12) will hold a size advantage over the fifth-ranked Bruins (6-1, 0-0) at nearly every position except center, where Johnson and Nwuba — each 6-10 — will have a slight edge over Battey. At 6-7, UCLA’s Jaime Jaquez Jr. could spend time defending Battey if Jaquez’s bigger teammates get into foul trouble or have problems staying with Battey near the three-point line.
“Myles is our big guy, so probably maybe start him on Evan,” Jaquez said when asked about possible matchups, “but other than that, we kind of just see how the flow of the game goes.”
Johnson has brought the defensive presence expected since his arrival as a graduate transfer from Rutgers, leading the team with 13 blocked shots and ranking second with seven steals. Last season, Jalen Hill blocked 15 shots in 14 games before retiring from basketball and Riley blocked 22 shots in 31 games.
Foul trouble is one of UCLA coach Mick Cronin’s biggest concerns given the lack of interior depth and Colorado’s success getting to the free-throw line. The Buffaloes take an average of 26.4 free throws per game, ranking fifth in the nation, and made 19 of 26 attempts against Stanford.
“They do a great job of attacking the basket, putting pressure on the rim and offensive rebounding,” Cronin said, “so they’re not quick to shoot a three, they’re going to run their offense, execute and get the ball at the rim on you, that’s why they get fouled so much.”
Orchestrating Colorado’s attack is sophomore point guard Keeshawn Barthelemy, who has taken over for the departed McKinley Wright IV. At 6-2, Barthelemy is often the shortest Buffalo on the court, with plenty of teammates to look up to.
TONIGHT
VS. COLORADO
When: 6:30
Where: Pauley Pavilion.
On the air: TV: Pac-12 Networks; Radio: 1150.
Update: This is the second season of the Pac-12’s expanded 20-game conference schedule that has teams playing each other in December. As far as Cronin is concerned, it’s (relatively) new but not improved. Cronin would prefer fewer conference games in favor of more marquee nonconference matchups — such as his team’s games against Villanova and Gonzaga — to boost college basketball’s appeal. “The powers that be in our sports need to look at every possible way to create interest in our sport in November and December,” Cronin said. “We can’t just be a sport about March Madness.” The Cronin Doctrine calls for Power Five teams playing 16 or 18 conference games in addition to four or five nonconference games against quality opponents as part of home-and-home arrangements that avoid neutral courts. “It’s better for college basketball, it brings more national interest than another Pac-12 Conference game,” Cronin said, noting the higher TV ratings and increased ticket sales that such matchups would generate.

Anyone watching this ASU-WSU dreck? 28-12 with 15 minutes left in the second half. Woof!
ASU scored 10 in the 1st segment, so they're fine. The problem with WSU is that if you disrupt them on the perimeter they've got nothing else.

We’re gonna have to make a bunch of 3s, and not miss layups to win this game. UCLA is legit.
Picked the wrong night to be ice cold.

We look like we belong on the court with these guys, though, and haven't been sloppy at the start on the road. Getting good looks and may even be the more athletic team.

Back