What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- WBB hosts Florida Atlantic (Wed., 7:00 PM) and #24 Miami (of Florida, Sat., 1:00)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
1st chance for home fans to see the Buff women this season in an official game as they face off against a couple Florida schools, opening up tomorrow evening against the Florida Atlantic Owls, and then following up with Saturday's match-up against the Hurricanes. Note that, as it stands now, Miami is potentially(***) the Buffs only non-conference game against a Top 25 team.
(***As the article below indicates, there hasn't been a Coaches' Poll released after week 1 yet, but Miami was #24 in the pre-season poll and, after going 2-0, I would guess (???) they won't drop out whenever/ if this week's poll is released. The other major poll, A/P's, has released a post-week 1 poll, and Miami is receiving the 28th most votes there.)

Go get'um Buffs!

Preview -

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/11...mes-this-week-the-at-coors-events-center.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado's women's basketball team will play two home games this week, its first home games of the 2017-18 season. The Buffs will host Florida Atlantic at 7 p.m. on Wednesday before taking on No. 24 Miami (Fla.) at 1 p.m. on Saturday. Both games will be streamed online for free through Pac-12 Plus and will air on the radio on 630 KHOW.

SCOUTING FLORIDA ATLANTIC
The Owls have played just once this season, falling 66-55 to Mercer at home on Sunday. FAU led that game at halftime, but a rough second half cost the Owls the win.

First-year head coach Jim Jabir joined FAU after 13 seasons as the head coach at Dayton, where he is the winningest coach in school history with a 238-140 record, including six NCAA Tournament appearances and two WNIT appearances. His FAU squad has four returning starters from last season, highlighted by senior Sasha Cedeño, who averaged 9.8 points last year. She was held to just three against Mercer.

Ra'Kyra Gabriel had a double-double in the Owls' season opener with 14 points and 10 rebounds, shooting 6-of-12 from the floor. Danneal Ford led the Owls in scoring with 20 points and added five rebounds and four assists.

FAU was just 4-25 last season and 0-18 in Conference USA.

SCOUTING MIAMI
The Hurricanes are ranked No. 24 in the preseason coaches poll and are 2-0 this season. They opened with a 77-69 win over FIU before a 73-49 victory against Vermont.

Freshman Mykea Gray is Miami's top player through two games, averaging 24.0 points and 2.5 assists, while shooting 7-of-16 (.438) from 3-point range. The 5-foot-4 guard was named ACC Rookie of the Week and was a four-star recruit from Upper Marlboro, Md. She had 27 points against FIU and 21 vs. Vermont.

Erykah Davenport is one of two returner starters from last season and is second in scoring at 10.5 points per game, while leading the Hurricanes with 7.5 rebounds per game through two contests. Three other players are averaging at least eight points.

The Hurricanes went 24-9 last season and reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

PROMOTIONS
Saturday's game with Miami is a "White Out" game where fans are encouraged to wear white. The players will also be available for autographs on the concourse behind Section 4 following the conclusion of the game.
"
_________________________________________________________________________________

For both games-
Live Video (Via free live stream)
- http://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live Audio - On Radio: 630 KHOW, with broadcasts also available for streaming via http://www.cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=1132&type=Live .

Live Stats - http://www.sidearmstats.com/cu/wbball/

Last edited:
Wish I could go tonight. Will watch some on the live stream later tonight.

As someone posted in another thread, this team is young and has a lot of new players so it's going to take a while for them to integrate and for the team to hit its stride. Having said that, they need to play a complete game on Saturday to have a chance v Miami. So far they've had one great half in each of their first two games. They need to develop the mental fortitude to play two solid halves consistently.

Speaking of newcomers, so far Annika Jank has hit the ground running. Her statistics are impressive: 15.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg on .542 shooting from the floor.

Aubrey Knight at 9.5 rpg is making a difference as well.

Go Buffs!

I well imagine that with the two freshman, Jank and Knight playing all those minutes at the pace of the D1 game that they are just overwhelmed and. most likely, just running on empty by the time they hit OT. :) Nonetheless, I have to say that I am really impressed with both those young ladies, especially the numbers that Annika is putting up. She was robbed on that freshman of the week in the PAC by the German girl from the Ducks but I guess that Oregon is everyone's sweetheart right now. No matter but I am still impressed by both her and Aubrey' s hustle and demeanor on the court. Both are playing much better than you have a right to expect any freshman to play, even the blue chippers. I think we got lucky on those two girls. It is early and I am sure there will be a lot more lumps to take. As they say......this is a process.

Definitely a process. Jank and Knight are both impressing in their own ways. It's tough to play as many minutes as they are playing right out of the gate in college.

Just saw on twitter Alexis Robinson is out tonight with a concussion.

Guessing Q gets the start

Definitely a process. Jank and Knight are both impressing in their own ways. It's tough to play as many minutes as they are playing right out of the gate in college.

Just saw on twitter Alexis Robinson is out tonight with a concussion.

Guessing Q gets the start

Will be interesting to see who does start, since I believe Q has already been starting. Does Aubrey Knight (who is listed as a guard on the roster even while being the team's leading rebounder so far) get the nod?

Oops- I am having time zone issues. Game with FAU is on, and the Buffs are up at the half. (Knight did get the start, but has only played 9 minutes, I assume at least partly because she has 2 fouls. )

Believe Buffs got it up to a 15 point lead, but then FAU went on something like an 11-1 point run before the Buffs got a couple buckets late in the 3rd. CU still with an 8 point lead going into the 4th.

Buffs played sloppy basketball but still won. Have to clean it up to beat Miami. Hope Lexi is recovered by the next game. Team needs her.

Kennedy played 40 minutes tonight. I was hoping she wouldn't have to do that against an opponent like this. However, the Buffs never had a comfortable lead where she could be taken out. With Lexi's absence, the team needed Kennedy's leadership on the floor.

Yes, Q has started all 3 games. Knight's first start was tonight. Bunn has started the last two games, after Zoe started the first game. Jank has started all 3 games.

Was able to watch the second half online. The Buffs made it much more difficult than it needed to be. Too many silly turnovers and inconsistent physical effort. But the individual pieces are there to have a decent team.

When Janea Bunn is in and not in foul trouble she's a difference maker. She tough on the boards and able to get some physical points in the paint. That's something the Buffs need.

Aubrey Knight is athletic and had some critical steals near the end of the game.

Kennedy didn't play the best game of her career, but she may not need to be everything to the team like she was last season for the team to win.

I'm giving my game ball to Brecca Thomas for this one. Without her steady backcourt play, ballhandling and her scoring, they don't win this game. She is such a great kid and so much a team player who never gets much credit but she has really worked hard on her game to the point where she is a critical player off the bench this year. That spark off the bench that JR says this team needs. It's time she gets some much needed respect, especially when so many kids seem to give up or move elsewhere when they don't get instant gratification or more minutes. She is a good role model for these younger players who need to see that, if you work at it, you will eventually succeed at this game.

Was able to watch the second half online. The Buffs made it much more difficult than it needed to be. Too many silly turnovers and inconsistent physical effort. But the individual pieces are there to have a decent team.

When Janea Bunn is in and not in foul trouble she's a difference maker. She tough on the boards and able to get some physical points in the paint. That's something the Buffs need.

Aubrey Knight is athletic and had some critical steals near the end of the game.

Kennedy didn't play the best game of her career, but she may not need to be everything to the team like she was last season for the team to win.
I agree with all of Mark's comments. There is certainly no shortage of things for the coaches to work on with the players. But they managed to hold it together and get a couple stops in the final minutes ... which they were not able to do at North Carolina. I'll take a sloppy "W", especially this early in the season.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the Technical Foul at the beginning of the game was for?

The tech was for Florida failure to submit a starting lineup by gametime.

Highlights -

Postgame interview -

Buffs trapping zone is doing a good job but they are committing too many turnovers on the other end.

Robinson is dressed but hasn’t played. Kennedy with only one point thus far. Bunn needs more touches in the paint.

Quinessa with a serious looking wrist injury. Robinson has sparked the Buffs last few minutes.

Back