What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread-Women's bball hosts #6/7 Stanford (Fri., 1/25, 7:00 MT) & Cal (Sunday, 1/27, 1:00)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Go get'um Buffs!

Preview (For Stanford Game)-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/1/23/womens-basketball-cus-youth-gaining-valuable-exprerience.aspx

"
BOULDER—It was no secret at the start of the season the 2018-19 Colorado women's basketball team was a young squad. The Buffaloes, with just four upperclassmen this season, knew their young players would need to contribute.

Head coach JR Payne painted the picture back in October at the team's media day.

"We have a couple of fantastic seniors. Some players that got a lot of fantastic playing time last year that are returning as veterans this year and a fun, exciting group of freshmen. I'm thrilled about the upcoming season."

The Buffaloes are still looking for that winning combination, having lost their last six games. The road does not get any easier for the Buffs as they host No. 6/7 Stanford on Friday (7 p.m.) and California on Sunday (1 p.m.).

Both games will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network. Fans can listen to the Buffs all season long on AM 630 (KHOW).

The Game: Colorado and Stanford meet up for the 23rd time in series history on Friday. The Buffs are still in search of their first Pac-12 win, while Stanford comes into the game ranked No. 6 in the Associated Press poll. The Cardinal have won the last 13 meetings.

About the Buffaloes: Colorado sits at 10-7 this season, in search of its first win in the Pac-12. The Buffs have a trio of players averaging double-figure scoring this season. Senior Kennedy Leonard (14.1 ppg) leads the group. Junior Quinessa Caylao-Do (11.7) and sophomore Mya Hollingshed (10.5 ppg) round out the top-scorers.

About Utah: The Cardinal have put together a 10-game winning streak since their only loss of the season at Gonzaga. Stanford is led legendary coach Tara VanDerveer, who just recorded win No. 900 at Stanford. Alanna Smith is the team's top producer with 21.0 points per game.

Last Time Out: Colorado was without senior Kennedy Leonard for its third straight game at Utah. The Utes shot 8-for-11 from 3 in the first half on their way to the season sweep over the Buffs. Utah finished 54.5 percent (12-22) from long range in the 78-59 decision.
"

(The "About Utah" above should be "About Stanford".)

Game notes (Stanford) - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/1/23//Stanford.pdf

Media links -
Live stats (Both games) - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Vs. Stanford (Friday, 7:00 PM MT)
Live video
- Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Bay Area channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that Pac 12 channel, believe the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2019/01/25/stanford-colorado .

Live audio
(Stream of the radio (AM 630) broadcast.) - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2255&type=Live

Vs. Cal (Sunday, 1:00 PM MT)
Live video
- Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Bay Area and Mountain channels. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to one of those Pac 12 channels, believe the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2019/01/27/california-colorado.

Live audio (Stream of the radio (AM 630) broadcast.) - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2256&type=Live

not going to complain about this game. The team did better than I thought so hats off to them. Tough not having 2 of your best 3 players and playing Stanford. I hope this transfers to Cal on sunday

Sounds like it was a VERY nice overall effort for the team, with them not able to overcome one BAD quarter (outscored 12-32 in the 3rd). Hope they come back STRONG for the golden bears.

In the Buffzone post-game article (http://www.buffzone.com/ci_32408656/shorthanded-cu-buffs-women-fall-no-6-stanford), re injuries-

"CU played its fourth consecutive game without senior point guard Kennedy Leonard, who wore a walking boot on her injured left foot and remains day to day. The Buffs also played without junior Mathilde Diop, who wore a boot on her right foot; and freshman Peanut Tuitele, who has dealt with various injuries."

and

"Payne said the Buffs are "very hopeful to have one or two more bodies by Sunday" when California visits the CEC."

Last edited:
The 8 players that played last night each gave 110%. The opening 3 pointer by Sila Fineau made me think the Buffs have not given up the fight and they fought for 40 minutes with all they had. We all know Stanford is a formidable team. Lexi and Q are leading the team with everything they have. Jank played her best game of the season when it was much needed. Mya got a 4 point play when she was fouled on a made 3 point shot and hit the free throw. I think Clark played with an ankle injury. Kai made some nice plays. Peyton only played a minute. Yes, they made mistakes, but they did not quit. Buffs do not quit and this team did not quit.

Knight is out for the season, but not having Kennedy, Pnut and Mathilde really hurt. Pnut has played pretty banged up in the last few games. She's taken some hits for the team. She played through a broken nose and has an injured thumb.

There was no quit in the players or the coaches. I was hoping they could pull off the upset, but it was not to be.

This team has not been able to guard the 3 point shot the entire season.

North Carolina, who CU beat back in November, knocked off #1 Notre Dame today.

Utah beat Stanford.

I hate to admit it, but going 0-fer in the Pac-12 looks more and more likely.

This team has not been able to guard the 3 point shot the entire season.

North Carolina, who CU beat back in November, knocked off #1 Notre Dame today.

Utah beat Stanford.

I hate to admit it, but going 0-fer in the Pac-12 looks more and more likely.
I hope you are wrong but afraid you are correct.

Without Leonard and Peanut, I do not see them winning or competing in many games. Really disappointing.

Without Leonard and Peanut, I do not see them winning or competing in many games. Really disappointing.

slow our roll here

leonard a senior
has won merely a dozen pac12 conf games in FOUR years of playing (injuries are a non-factor - missed a grand total of 5 games in 4 yrs)
her pac12 record 12-37
with her this team never won or really competed seems silly to say that without her they can't compete
much much better player this season (spectacular actually) but be realistic
good coaches get backup pointguards minutes non-conf to develop and prepare for critical role

coaches played MVP and leader 40 mins per game in non-competitive nonconf games practically begging for injury
but ENTIRE non-conf playing time for backup pgs in eleven games (not counting s naz exhibition)
finau 71
carter 28

cam swartz (most talented player on team) practically pushed out door given only 46 min
smart player fleeing sinking ship staff
can not figure out basic player rotation to develop players
panicked coaches desperately trying to win EVERY nonconf game to not get fired

peanut a freshman
team has been devoid of bigs forever
expecting a freshman to impact pac12 nonsensical
brought this peanut crisis on themselves

easy peeps lets not be all like this was good team (they are much better) with great coaches with expectations of postseason
payne head coach 10 seasons
only 4 winning seasons
6 seasons losing record (won't possibly finish this season with winning record)

Leonard is the only all pac 12 quality player on the roster. Stats do not matter to me. When she is on the floor they are competitive. Without her they are not even close. Peanut is the only player that has any post presence for this team. I do not expect her to be all pac 12 but nobody else on the roster can match her down low. I think one of the reasons they give up so many threes is they have to help down low because they have very little in the post. did not expect them to be great. Maybe a mid pac 12 team, but did not expect them to put up an 0 for and get embarrassed by most teams. the problem with this trend is trying to recruit great players. It is harder to do that when you consistently do not win games or compete in the conference. With Peanut and Leonard they were competitive against the AZ schools without them it has been ugly.

Leonard is the only all pac 12 quality player on the roster. Stats do not matter to me. When she is on the floor they are competitive. Without her they are not even close. Peanut is the only player that has any post presence for this team. I do not expect her to be all pac 12 but nobody else on the roster can match her down low. I think one of the reasons they give up so many threes is they have to help down low because they have very little in the post. did not expect them to be great. Maybe a mid pac 12 team, but did not expect them to put up an 0 for and get embarrassed by most teams. the problem with this trend is trying to recruit great players. It is harder to do that when you consistently do not win games or compete in the conference. With Peanut and Leonard they were competitive against the AZ schools without them it has been ugly.

just take issue with statement "when she is on the floor they are competitive"
career 12-37 pac12 record
they aren't competitive when she's out (obviously)
but they weren't competitive when she was healthy either
they just aren't competitive

don't be fooled by non-conf ("trix are for kids")
only thing that matters is pac12 conf season

what I don't understand is why lappe and now payne will get fired for continuing to recruit players that can't compete in this conf
if you can't recruit pac12 players why take this job?

You're gonna post a lot aren't you?

what I don't understand is why lappe and now payne will get fired for continuing to recruit players that can't compete in this conf
if you can't recruit pac12 players why take this job?
“Petr”
Over the last two years they have indeed competed in Pac-12 games; last year lost by an average of 7pts a game and 2017 lost by an average of 8pts a game. Not getting the wins but competitive in the vast majority of losses
This season is tough, your best player played injured until she couldn’t. If she (and others) were healthy you’d have 4 or 5 conference wins at this point.
In addition as of today JR is over 500 for her tenure. She’s not at risk and shouldn’t be. However, what happens when everyone is back this year and what happens next year will determine her future

I'm curious to hear from some of the diehard women's fans on this board about this. I'll fully admit, I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about the program, but this is how I view it:

Lappe wasn't Embree bad, but she was bad. The program was in a very bad state. Payne brought in and changed the system, changed the types of players we were going after, and changed our recruiting footprint. This led to a few victories and a few losses, but overall progress has gone in the right direction - just maybe not at the speed that some thought it would. She also had some attrition - some good, some bad. Overall, we seem to be within +/- 10% of where people thought the program would be at this point in her tenure.

Does that line up with reality? Or am I just being generous with her tenure?

Back