What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's bball hosts Texas Southern (Tuesday,12/3, 7:00 PM) & visits Xavier (Friday, 5:00 PM MT)

It was 25-27 Xavier at the half, and as I type this looks like the Buffs have a narrow 30-29 lead early in the 3rd.

Let me know who we need to call at Utah. As those bullying disparaging Utes had the audacity to hurt the feelings of our GREAT Buffs players and beat us in football.

The risk you take in sports is that you might emerge from the game as a winner, but you also might lose. Players take that as a given. Apparently family and friends still feel the need, a year after their players stopped playing, to point the fingers, assign blame, and try to convince everyone that W-L records don't matter, and in fact disguise true greatness. Got it.

Buffs down to Xavier at the half. 'Sko Buffs. We got this. Shots will fall. We are out rebounding them, which a good sign. Whittaker in foul trouble. We need this game for postseason eligibility unless this Buffs team win a lot more games in conference than most of us expect. Which would be awesome!

Still need to keep it up in the 4th quarter, but Buffs get a little breathing room going into into it as they outscore the musketeers 19-6 in the 3rd to take a 44-33 lead.

Let me know who we need to call at Utah. As those bullying disparaging Utes had the audacity to hurt the feelings of our GREAT Buffs players and beat us in football.

The risk you take in sports is that you might emerge from the game as a winner, but you also might lose. Players take that as a given. Apparently family and friends still feel the need, a year after their players stopped playing, to point the fingers, assign blame, and try to convince everyone that W-L records don't matter, and in fact disguise true greatness. Got it.

Buffs down to Xavier at the half. 'Sko Buffs. We got this. Shots will fall. We are out rebounding them, which a good sign. Whittaker in foul trouble. We need this game for postseason eligibility unless this Buffs team win a lot more games in conference than most of us expect. Which would be awesome!
Call Bill Laimbeer

I agree with JR, she keeps telling everyone how much she loves this team, and said it again tonight. We certainly aren't going to win a Pac-12 Championship, but this is a fun team to watch. Very impressed. Utah [edit. mistyped] LOST to Xavier 70-63, and we just beat Xavier 62-53 but it really could have been 72-53 if we hadn't had so many careless turnovers. Somebody buy #0 for Xavier (Leyendecker) a bigger number, that weird font they use and the small number height just looked strange on the back of the big's jersey. All that empty jersey space was cracking me up. 8-0 we'll take it. Denver next, good little WNIT team that loves to shoot the 3. Turgeon won't be coaching at Denver too long. Someone in big conference basketball is going to snap him up. Not that it would happen, but it would be interesting if he and his brother were both coaching at Maryland for the Men's and Women's programs.

Last edited:
I agree with JR, she keeps telling everyone how much she loves this team, and said it again tonight. We certainly aren't going to win a Pac-12 Championship, but this is a fun team to watch. Very impressed. Utah [edit. mistyped] LOST to Xavier 70-63, and we just beat Xavier 62-53 but it really could have been 72-53 if we hadn't had so many careless turnovers. Somebody buy #0 for Xavier (Leyendecker) a bigger number, that weird font they use and the small number height just looked strange on the back of the big's jersey. All that empty jersey space was cracking me up. 8-0 we'll take it. Denver next, good little WNIT team that loves to shoot the 3. Turgeon won't be coaching at Denver too long. Someone in big conference basketball is going to snap him up. Not that it would happen, but it would be interesting if he and his brother were both coaching at Maryland for the Men's and Women's programs.
Great call out RWAG, JR has consistently loved the teams shes coached here and that’s great. This will be a critical year for her and the staff and no doubt she’ll need some of that love to pay dividends once the SOS starts to get into double digits.
#BillLaimbeer

Article after this evening's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/12/6/womens-basketball-buffs-thwart-musketeers.aspx

"
CINCINNATI — A strong third quarter helped Colorado's women's basketball team to a 62-53 win over Xavier on the road on Friday. The win propels the Buffs to its first 8-0 start since the 2016-17 season.

Colorado trailed at the half (27-25) for the first time all season. The Buffs exploded for 19 points in the third quarter, helping create a double-digit lead going into the fourth. Xavier threatened in the final quarter, sliming the lead down to eight in the final minute, but Colorado stood tall in the end.

Sophomore Emma Clarke scored 11 points in the fourth quarter and finished with a career-high of 19. Junior Mya Hollingshed recorded her second-consecutive double-double, finishing with 12 points and 12 rebounds. Sophomore Peanut Tuitele hit double-figures (10) for the first time since opening-night, closing 5-for-5 from the field.

The Buffs not only had to solve the Musketeers but also battle against a season-high 28 turnovers. Xavier also had its issues controlling the ball, giving it back to Colorado 21 times on the night. XU finished with a slight edge in points off turnovers, 22-19.

The Musketeers have now lost five straight games, falling to 1-6 on the season. A'riana Gray led Xavier with 17 points.

KEY STATISTICS: The Buffs shot 57.7 percent (15-26) in the second half, improving on its 32.3 percent (10-31) showing in the first half.

NOTES: CU's eight-game winning streak marks its longs since starting the 2016-17season 10-0…Clarke set career-highs in points in back-to-back games (17 vs Texas Southern)…Hollingshed grabbed 12 rebounds for the second consecutive games, tying her career-high…Sherrod handed out seven assists…Colorado outrebounded Xavier, 42-29…CU has now scored 30+ points in the paint (32) in six of its eight games…Colorado's 28 turnovers were the most since totaling 28 at UCLA (Feb. 6, 2015).

NEXT UP:
The Buffs closeout 2019 with one last home game. Colorado will host Denver next Thursday, Dec. 12 (7 p.m.).

QUOTES
Head Coach JR Payne

On 8-0 start
"It just feels awesome. There's no other way to describe it. I always say we have so many areas that we need to get better and can get better. But as a basketball club, we're improving. In a game like tonight, this gives us a lot to work on. Especially in the fourth quarter and taking care of the ball. It also shows us that we're a pretty good basketball team."

On battling own turnovers
"We tried to bring in two point guards in late in the game to handle what we knew would be more pressure. I don't know that that really helped us. We just need to be in these situations where we have to learn from it. We have to probably put ourselves in these situations more in practice so that we're prepared and comfortable and confident."

On the message to the team at halftime
"We just went in and said, 'Listen, that wasn't the prettiest half of basketball we've ever played we're capable of better.' We talked about keeping it really simple and continuing to rebound both ends of the floor. It was a very light mood. We were trying to keep everybody kind of upbeat and positive and feeling good, going into the second half."
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2019-20/xavier/boxscore/13216

The team had way too many turnovers last night. They will not win in the Pac if they keep making that many turnovers.

The team had way too many turnovers last night. They will not win in the Pac if they keep making that many turnovers.
Agreed, guards accounted for 22 turnovers against a 1-7 team. Fortunately there is still a couple weeks to get this under control before conference

I find the missives of RWAG difficult to read, both because of their length and logic.

One comment about great players. I agree a great player should be able to raise the level of play of the entire team. For an example I give you Iowa's Megan Gustafson, who won most major awards for women's basketball last season.

• ESPNW National Player of the Year
  • AP Player of the Year
  • Naismith Trophy Winner
  • USBWA Player of the Year (Ann Meyers Drysdale Trophy)
  • Big Ten Athlete of the Year
  • Honda Sport Award Winner for Women’s Basketball
She was able to raise the level of the players she played with and take her team to the highest level for Iowa under Coach Lisa Bluder. That is one of the things I look for in great players.

Gustafson found the WNBA difficult. She got cut from the Dallas Wings a few times. Once the coaching staff realized their season was over, they kept her to develop her.

She is playing professionally in Budapest and winning.

I find the missives of RWAG difficult to read, both because of their length and logic.

One comment about great players. I agree a great player should be able to raise the level of play of the entire team. For an example I give you Iowa's Megan Gustafson, who won most major awards for women's basketball last season.

• ESPNW National Player of the Year
  • AP Player of the Year
  • Naismith Trophy Winner
  • USBWA Player of the Year (Ann Meyers Drysdale Trophy)
  • Big Ten Athlete of the Year
  • Honda Sport Award Winner for Women’s Basketball
She was able to raise the level of the players she played with and take her team to the highest level for Iowa under Coach Lisa Bluder. That is one of the things I look for in great players.

Gustafson found the WNBA difficult. She got cut from the Dallas Wings a few times. Once the coaching staff realized their season was over, they kept her to develop her.

She is playing professionally in Budapest and winning.
Thank you!
Succinct, well thought out and well composed. Additionally you did not attack players or posters. BRAVO!!

Iowa signed one of the best players in this year's senior class. Her name is Caitlan Clark. She chose Iowa when she could have played for any team in the country because she wants to take Iowa to a higher level than Gustafson got them to. They have made the Elite Eight and Clark wants to get them to the Final Four and, hopefully a national championship.

I do like in state kids staying in state for their playing careers.

Good win.

I didn't have a chance to watch it, but after looking at the box score I feel bad for the people who did watch.

49 combined turnovers between the teams? That had to be painful to watch.

Win, learn and march on.

Yes, lots of turnovers by both teams. There was a big one at the very end that didn't get called. Xavier player was trying to call time out. Officials were not seeing her and she took a couple of steps without dribbling the ball. Happened right in front of the CU bench and they were calling for a turnover. No call. Didn't matter Xavier had a turn over when they went to throw the ball in to play.

did not see the game and know nothing about Xaviier but I consider this a nice win for the Buffs. Nice to see Emma start to develop into a player. Lots of turnovers but still found a way to win. got to get better.

Three lazy voters who just saw the undefeated record and didn't bother to check how weak the schedule has been.

Nope. Same lazy voter as last week. One voter, three points. Not three voters. He actually voted the Buffs as #23, which is worth 3 points. A #1 vote is worth 25 points, a #25 vote is worth one point. This week getting the #25 spot require 56 points and getting #1 required more than 686 points.

Chad Conine is a Baylor homer. The Colorado vote is a red herring. Some knowledgeable WBB AP voters like Michelle Smith have three Pac-12 teams in their top four along with UCONN. Mechelle Voepel actually has three Pac-12 teams as her 1, 2, and 3. Chad Conine is throwing Colorado in there to disguise his anti-Pac-12 voting and pro-Baylor homer voting. He lives in Waco, and voted Baylor as his #3. He only has one Pac-12 team in his top-3. Chad actually didn't vote Oregon #1 the week they managed to beat Team-USA. I believe he was the only AP voter that did that.

From his bio, " Conversely, as an upholder of the legacy of sportswriters before me, I want to give an honest account of the personalities and place in the stories I tell."

Nope. Same lazy voter as last week. One voter, three points. Not three voters. He actually voted the Buffs as #23, which is worth 3 points. A #1 vote is worth 25 points, a #25 vote is worth one point. This week getting the #25 spot require 56 points and getting #1 required more than 686 points.

Chad Conine is a Baylor homer. The Colorado vote is a red herring. Some knowledgeable WBB AP voters like Michelle Smith have three Pac-12 teams in their top four along with UCONN. Mechelle Voepel actually has three Pac-12 teams as her 1, 2, and 3. Chad Conine is throwing Colorado in there to disguise his anti-Pac-12 voting and pro-Baylor homer voting. He lives in Waco, and voted Baylor as his #3. He only has one Pac-12 team in his top-3. Chad actually didn't vote Oregon #1 the week they managed to beat Team-USA. I believe he was the only AP voter that did that.

From his bio, " Conversely, as an upholder of the legacy of sportswriters before me, I want to give an honest account of the personalities and place in the stories I tell."

Interesting information, who would have known this type of stuff goes on.

You obviously care more about it than I do to have done all this digging. I just dismissed it as irrelevant.

Back