What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread-Women's bball visit #9/11 OSU (Fri., 2/1, 8:00 MT) & #4 Oregon (Sun., 2/3, 1:00)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Looks like the toughest weekend of the year for the WBB Buffs, as they face off against 2 Top 10 teams on the road- Fight them HARD, SMART and RELENTLESSLY Buffs!!!

Preview for OSU game-

Direct link - https://admin.cubuffs.com/news/2019...-learning-experiences-helping-buffs-grow.aspx

"
CORVALLIS, Ore. – The reminders are plastered all through the halls of the Champions Center and the CU Events Center. "The pride and tradition of the Colorado Buffaloes will not be entrusted to the timid or the weak."

The credo has echoed throughout the University of Colorado athletic department since its origin by legendary CU football coach Bill McCartney. It has never been truer for the CU women's basketball team.

The Buffaloes have battled through adversity all season long and are currently in one of the toughest stretches of the season. Bruised with injuries, the young Buffs have refused to give in.

"To have the sort of adversity that they have faced and combine that with such a young group—we've competed in every single game," head coach JR Payne noted. "There have been very few exceptions where we have hung our heads or really believed we cannot beat an opponent. We just aren't wired that way."

"I saw Notre Dame head coach Muffet McGraw tweet something about how so much of coaching now is about psychology and a lot less basketball," Payne continued. "We are really fortunate that we have a tremendous group of young women on our team. Even though we are struggling and this has been a difficult stretch, they are responding to the positives that we are trying to feed into them."

Friday's game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network, while Sunday will be available through Oregon's live stream. Fans can listen to the Buffs all season long on AM 630 (KHOW).

The Game: Colorado and Oregon State meet up for the 15th time in series history on Friday. The Buffs are still in search of their first Pac-12 win, while the Beavers have just three losses all season and are ranked No. 9/11 in the respective rankings.

About the Buffaloes: Colorado sits at 10-9 this season. The Buffs have four players averaging double-figure scoring this season. Senior Kennedy Leonard (14.1 ppg) leads the group. Senior Alexis Robinson (11.3), junior Quinessa Caylao-Do (11.1) and sophomore Mya Hollingshed (11.2 ppg) round out the top-scorers.

About Oregon State: The Beavers have spent the entire season inside the top-10 of the Associated Press rankings, never dropping below 8th in the country. OSU has won 9 of its last 10, including its last two against Washington and Washington State.
"

Game notes (For OSU game) - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/1/30//at_Oregon_State.pdf

Media links -
Vs. OSU (Friday, 8:00 PM MT)
Live video -
Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Oregon channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to one of that Pac 12 channel, believe the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2019/02/01/colorado-oregon-state .

Live audio (Stream of the radio (AM 630) broadcast.) - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2257&type=Live

Link to link to live stats - http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=orst

Vs. Oregon (Sunday, 1:00 PM MT)
Live video
(Free live stream) - https://pac-12.com/live/university-oregon

Live audio (Stream of the radio (AM 630) broadcast.) - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2258&type=Live

Link to link to live stats - http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=ore

senior pg was playing some of the best basketball in the country
playing out of her mind some games truly on a different level
seemed like one of the other two leaders not always pulling same end of the rope:

vs cal 1/27 - leadership shot 6-23, 5 turnovers
vs stanford - leadership shot 8-29, 7 turnovers
vs utah 1/18 - leadership shot 17-44, 2 turnovers
vs wash state 1/13 - leadership shot 7-20, 4 turnovers
vs washington 1/11 - leadership shot 9-25, 11 turnovers
we lose senior pg to injury
vs az state 1/6 - leadership shot 18-38, 9 turnovers
vs ariz 1/4 - leadership shot 15-32, 10 turnovers
vs utah 12/30 - leadership shot 11-30, 6 turnovers
pac12 conf play begins
vs samford 12/20 - leadership shot 9-30, 3 turnovers
vs prairie view a&m 12/12 - leadership shot 9-26, 2 turnovers
vs navy 12/9 - leadership shot 6-16, 8 turnovers
vs san jose state 12/6 - leadership shot 10-34, 2 turnovers
vs miami 12/2 - leadership shot 10-36, 10 turnovers
vs pepperdine 11/27 - leadership shot 10-24, 3 turnovers
vs utah state 11/25 - leadership shot 16-32, 8 turnovers
vs nevada 11/23 - leadership shot 11-23, 6 turnovers
vs north carolina 11/18 - leadership shot 12-33, 9 turnovers
vs colorado state 11/14 - leadership shot 7-27, 8 turnovers
vs northern colorado 11/6 - leadership shot 15-33, 8 turnovers

vs northern colorado, 11/6 incredible battle pure point vs one of best players pure scorer
savannah smith putting on clinic
32 points, 6 reb, 4 steals, 10-19, and 8-12 on 3 attempts, with only 1 turnover
kennedy leonard put on a clinic
30 points, 3 reb, 6 steals, 6-13, and 3-6 on 3 attempts, 4 assists
leonard dragging team to victory on force of will
yet other senior guard in 18' min shoots 2-11 (0-4 on 3 attempts) 2 turnovers only 1 rebound

smith unconscious late in game as brilliant press defender colorado had no answer
reasonably if officials don't swallow whistle on blatant offensive warding off fouls
colorado would have should have lost game

why did senior leader try to force herself into flow of the game?
all season either junior guard or other senior guard struggling every night
sometimes leaders need to take foot off the gas let the team have a chance to win
more important than ever with leonard hurt when it isn't there not force it
payne need to hold upperclass leaders accountable
overplays struggling upperclassmen & not developing younger players in losing efforts

why does robinson lead team in attempts (.283 on 3 attempts)?
yet quinessa is on fire (.429 on 3 attempts)?
while best shooter and scorer recruited by buffs in 20yrs was on bench (cam swartz)
yet couldn't get on the floor
until she had enough and wasn't a buff anymore

next season is going to come and jr payne going to regret that smart, disciplined and tough basketball wasn't instilled in team culture
payne is too good of a coach to be afraid to hold upperclass leaders accountable
while losing every conf game

Last edited:
Cam was not on the floor due to the fact that she was 6 weeks removed from surgery to repair a previous undiagnosed heart condition. In the final 2 games prior to her departure she averaged 15mpg and had only begun practicing at full speed in her final 3 weeks as a Buff. It’s difficult to get minutes when you can’t practice. Her minutes would have obviously escalated during the season particularly in light of the current situation. Weather Cam left due to being homesick, From parental pressure or for other reasons is a question you should ask her and not assume. What we can confidently say is that she was not the best shooter/scorer recruited in 20 years. As for the rest of the post I for one am unable to decipher your point.

Cam was not on the floor due to the fact that she was 6 weeks removed from surgery to repair a previous undiagnosed heart condition. In the final 2 games prior to her departure she averaged 15mpg and had only begun practicing at full speed in her final 3 weeks as a Buff. It’s difficult to get minutes when you can’t practice. Her minutes would have obviously escalated during the season particularly in light of the current situation. Weather Cam left due to being homesick, From parental pressure or for other reasons is a question you should ask her and not assume. What we can confidently say is that she was not the best shooter/scorer recruited in 20 years. As for the rest of the post I for one am unable to decipher your point.
Having watched Cam gingerly struggle to walk at the “get to know your Buffs” preseason event, I understand the desire to bring her back slowly. Cam had heart surgery, how aggressive should Payne have been in playing her? One medical issue and Payne’s career is over, who would hire her when she was cavalier with an injured players health?

Last edited:

sorry
wasn't as clear as could have been
i wanted to show combined shot selection assumed most saw games (listened?)
understood nightly struggles by (at least) one of these leaders dragging down team shooting percentage every game
thought that came across in showing combined
but it really doesn't does it?

individual struggles of at least one upperclass leader nearly every game
wasting effort by other upperclass leaders (or rest of team) getting open & scoring at competitive shooting percentage

cal 2-9
cal 4-14
stanford 6-17
stanford 2-12
utah 9-28
wash state 1-7
washington 5-16
az state 6-16
arizona 3-9
utah 4-13
utah 4-11
samford 0-8
samford 4-12
prairie view a&m 2-7
prairie view a&m 3-11
navy 1-7
san jose state 2-11
san jose state 2-11
miami 2-9
miami 2-11
miami 6-16
pepperdine 2-8
pepperdine 2-8
utah state none
nevada 2-7
north carolina 0-6
north carolina 4-14
colorado state 3-10
colorado state 2-12
northern colorado 2-11

only one game where ALL three upperclass leaders struggled together
only one game where NONE of three upperclass leaders didn't struggle

every night a upperclass leader forces shots that aren't falling while teammates and other upperclass leader(s) getting hot
yet continue forcing shots and dragging down team shooting percentage when its not falling
that's not leadership
no team in pac12 conf will ever win games when players are dragging team shooting percentage toward 30%
its not same player every night, but upperclass leaders should know better
need to play without ball (defense, hustling for rebounds, working for teammates) when shots aren't falling
in pg case use ball to create for teammates (often brilliantly) when not winning matchup vs great defenders
too much young talent on this team that can shoot for one (or more) upperclass leaders to always be forcing shots and not hitting
neither caylao-do or robinson as skilled as leonard at getting team into good offense
with leonard leadership and playmaking sidelined with injury
they need to start playing team basketball
by knowing when not to keep shooting

Having watched Cam gingerly struggle to walk at the “get to know your Buffs” preseason event, I understand the desire to bring her back slowly. Cam had heart surgery, how aggressive should Payne have been in playing Her? One medical issue and Payne’s career is over, who would hire her when she was cavalier with an injured players health?

cardiac ablation should not be conflated to heart surgery
not even close to the same thing
soreness doesn't last more than a week
return to full and complete routines within a few days

modern elite recruits aren't going to wait for a coach to play them
if a coach doesn't realize the talent they've recruited and get those players on the floor
they'll just go play somewhere else for a coach who will

I have that person on ignore. Thanks for saying this. This is the truth.

Completely agree that she was not the best shooter/scorer recruited in 20 years. We will never know how her skills would have transferred to a P5 team from a small high school.

Last edited:
playing in the ACC conference won't tell us?
If she can play in the Pac-12? No, it will tell us if she can play in the ACC. Also, the best shooter in 20 years had the 5th best shooting percentage out of the 5 freshman when she transferred. She’s a good player and hopefully she found a place that’s right for her.

cardiac ablation should not be conflated to heart surgery
not even close to the same thing
soreness doesn't last more than a week
return to full and complete routines within a few days.

re: the part I bolded...I don't know where you got that from but it does not jive at all with what I was told by Cameron.
I spoke with Cam after almost every game once she was back on the bench, specifically about how she was feeling, how her recovery was going, how she was doing resuming practice etc. The way she described her recovery and resumption of practice to me does not come close to what you are saying. According to her, her soreness lasted significantly more than a week and she was NOT back to full and complete routines within way more than a week. How she was being re-introduced into playing time by the coaches seemed to me to mesh very well with how Cam was describing her progress in her health returning to normal.

re: the part I bolded...I don't know where you got that from but it does not jive at all with what I was told by Cameron.
I spoke with Cam after almost every game once she was back on the bench, specifically about how she was feeling, how her recovery was going, how she was doing resuming practice etc. The way she described her recovery and resumption of practice to me does not come close to what you are saying. According to her, her soreness lasted significantly more than a week and she was NOT back to full and complete routines within way more than a week. How she was being re-introduced into playing time by the coaches seemed to me to mesh very well with how Cam was describing her progress in her health returning to normal.
Please, he quoted what was posted on WebMD. You know, why get a med degree when the net has all the info you need

CU beat UNC this past fall, so if CU is as awful as you state then no, playing in the ACC won't be any indication .

okay but what do we do with the fact that UNC just beat #1 ranked Notre Dame?

https://keepingitheel.com/2019/01/27/unc-womens-basketball-tar-heels-knock-off-no-1-notre-dame/

listen pac12 most legit conf in women's basketball
tantamount to Gleague for wnba or international professional ball
however, other power6 conf are no joke
ACC is legit
10 teams with RPI under 64
ostensibly ncaa tournament teams
ncaa still uses RPI as factor for selection of women's teams for tournament

not a single team in all of ACC with an RPI as bad as Buffs current RPI

but believe what you want to believe

Long post speculating on medical info after mods had warned not to.

Bye bye.

Love,

AllBuffs Mod Team

@Petr Giesick Can you just tell us who you are and why you're here so we can all move on? Preferably in complete sentences.
This is the third appearance of this individual; starting as “Ralphie was a Girl” about 4 years ago and then reappearing under a different name 2 years ago. Both prior times the moderators removed him. Historically he’s attacked Kennedy and coaches, spreading his wings a bit more now.

Last edited:
Deleted post

Petr, Just ask Cam or her parents why she left, I did and you are way off. Second, Cu has lost fewer players to transfer then average over the last 3 years, particularly when compared to teams with coaching changes ie Arizona and Utah, both lost at least four players in the last 8 months. Also, Leonard’s draft status has not been negatively impacted by being out for 3 weeks in the last four years or missing 5 out of 113 games please refer to the article that was posted in response to you a couple days ago that listed her as a potential 1st rounder. Shame on you Petr

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I can come back now. I'm happy once again.

I know it's tough being a Mod, but you are awesome.

Buffs were able to cut their deficit to single digits (9) early in the 3rd quarter, but it's gone VERY wrong since then as they are now down 54-82 with around 4 minutes left in the game against the #9/11 ranked beavers.

just not enough fire power on the team to compete on he road with top 10 teams. Nice effort to keep it as close as the did for as long as they did. It is also nice to Robinson playing well.

Back