What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gary Barnett to replace Larry Zimmer on KOA in 2016.

Not sure the reporter has to be a dick to ask the question. The situation is a little strange, isn't it?
No, not at all. That was over ten years ago. Would it be all that strange for UCLA to hire Rick Neuhisel to do their broadcasts? I don't think so. Same kind of deal, IMO.

No, not at all. That was over ten years ago. Would it be all that strange for UCLA to hire Rick Neuhisel to do their broadcasts? I don't think so. Same kind of deal, IMO.

I think Ohio State hiring Jim Tressel to do their games would be a better comparison. Neuheisel just lost games at UCLA, there wasn't a scandal associated with his exit.

Really???? Have you ever listened to Johnson? His ability to bypass the most basic details of radio play by ply is astounding. Also, his pretending to be a CU football historian is contrived at best and painful on all fronts...
Add to that, his calling every 1 yard dive into the middle of the line or 2 yard bubble screen as if they were the play of the game. Mark Haynes is a great homer, Mark Johnson is horrific.

I thought an assistant coach was soliciting prostitutes. I remember nothing substantiated that it had to do with recruits?

I like this hire, although I hate to see Zim retire. I am very happy that Zim's health allowed him this final season. I thought we lost him last year with that extensive hospitalization.

I think Ohio State hiring Jim Tressel to do their games would be a better comparison. Neuheisel just lost games at UCLA, there wasn't a scandal associated with his exit.

We all know that "scandal" was absolute bullish*t. It was a contrived witch hunt that took down a lot of people when maybe one or two did anything even remotely unseemly. Hiring GB back is, in a way, a sign that the administration finally realizes that it handled that entire situation poorly.

And let's not kid ourselves. GB was fired for losing games. 70-3 gets people fired.

We all know that "scandal" was absolute bullish*t. It was a contrived witch hunt that took down a lot of people when maybe one or two did anything even remotely unseemly. Hiring GB back is, in a way, a sign that the administration finally realizes that it handled that entire situation poorly.

And let's not kid ourselves. GB was fired for losing games. 70-3 gets people fired.
I know several long time fans that hold GB accountable for that entire mess. Even if it's unfair, that's how they feel about it. I think this is a bizarre hire.

We all know that "scandal" was absolute bullish*t.

We might know that, but a lot of people don't think the same. It's the whole reason he's available for this gig in the first place. The guy won the Big Ten and Big 12, and yet he was never hired to coach again, and he's been stuck doing syndicated radio broadcasts. Rightly or wrongly, he's still attached to the scandal, and from the outside, that makes this a strange hire.

So, what's the shelf life of a non-scandal? Is it really more than 10 years? Even if you do subscribe to the notion that he was entirely to blame for everything that went down, does the passage of time not heal most of those wounds? Have the last 10 years taught us nothing at all?

It's a radio gig. I don't get the opposition to it. If we were hiring him for AD, I might get it, but it's a RADIO GIG. I think some folks need to calm down.

I remember watching an interview with Mike Moschetti about said scandal. He probably convinced me more than anyone it was bs. I'm ok with the Barnett hire.

It's a strange hire given the circumstances of his departure, but I still like it and am glad he's around the program.

I never said I opposed the hire. I just think the media has legitimate questions they could ask. But somehow any questions asked about this hire (and yes, it IS weird) are out of line. Come on, guys.

BTW, enough with acting like we yearn for the last few years of Barnett like they are the glory years. Puke.

I never said I opposed the hire. I just think the media has legitimate questions they could ask. But somehow any questions asked about this hire (and yes, it IS weird) are out of line. Come on, guys.

BTW, enough with acting like we yearn for the last few years of Barnett like they are the glory years. Puke.
I feel like Sacky has the best perspective on "why". A lot of people feel that GB was scapegoated and some senior leadership errors were made in response to the scandal. This is an effort to bridge the gap between those that felt alienated by that process and the current program.

I guess weird I can accept, it was just more surprising than anything to me. Again that interview convinced me. Mike said something along the lines, been awhile, if that stuff was going on, I would've put a stop to it. I believed him and he seems like a good character, pit bull type guy. Idk him, sure some of you may. I guess we can all agree that they handled it about as bad as you could. I'm cool with it, time to move forward. It has been for a long time.

I guess weird I can accept, it was just more surprising than anything to me. Again that interview convinced me. Mike said something along the lines, been awhile, if that stuff was going on, I would've put a stop to it. I believed him and he seems like a good character, pit bull type guy. Idk him, sure some of you may. I guess we can all agree that they handled it about as bad as you could. I'm cool with it, time to move forward. It has been for a long time.
I remember watching an interview with Mike Moschetti about said scandal. He probably convinced me more than anyone it was bs. I'm ok with the Barnett hire.

Wouldn't it be ****ing mind-blowing if Luke turned out to be Gateway?

I don't think anyone is yearning for those years like they are the gold standard, but I think being 8-5, with 4-5 conference wins, playing in the Pac 12 Championship two years in a row and playing in bowl games is pretty desirable to just about every CU fan.

I just find the uproar bizarre for the mere fact that he is hired to do color for CU games. Outside of diehard fans, who even knows who is on the radio for games? If we were hiring him for a coaching position or something within the AD, I guess I could see the outrage. But for 75% of Coloradans, whomever calls CU football games for KOA is a non-issue.

I agree. And let's be honest, most college football fans outside of the states of Colorado and Illinois probably wouldn't even recognize Gary Barnett on the street. Its not like he's some universally recognized controversial figure.

Again, not seeing the outrage. This whole conversation started because DBT thought it would be out of line for a reporter to ask questions.

Again, not seeing the outrage. This whole conversation started because DBT thought it would be out of line for a reporter to ask questions.
Where did I say that? Haha. I said I expect some jerk reporter to ask the question, with Kiszla in mind because he's probably the guy who would ask it. I don't necessarily think the question is out of line but I'd wonder about the questioner's agenda, for sure. For instance, if, say, Chris Dempsey asked the question, I'd say he is probably giving GB a chance to respond whereas if Kiszla asked it, he would be baiting. I should not have used the term "jerk."

I do think the Channel 7 report was NOT balanced. They quote one guy on one side of the issue and they mis-state the issue (as some on here do). Barnett was not fired due to the scandal - it was the blowout losses. The $3 Million was paid out because they owed him that in his contract just like they paid out Hawkins, Embree and Bohn. People seemed to have missed that CU has utilized Barnett for PR purposes several times over the past few years including making a video for fundraising last year. Channel 7 is so on top of it they used a clip of Neuheisel on the Barnett Story.

Barnett is still very popular with the CU core supporters. A few years ago he was introduced at the Kick-off Luncheon and he got the biggest ovation from the attendees, bigger than either George and MacIntyre. So I think in general he will be well received and of course there will be those who raise a stink about it - like the guy in this thread making outlandish claims and pretending they are facts.

Back