What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gary Barnett's Practice Observations from Thursday

One thing that GB's teams were, was that they were usually tough & competitive and other teams had to be ready to play them. But I doubt that GB is offering advice to JE unless he's asking GB for his opinion.

His teams were tough, not so much competitive the last few years though.

Barney was an Xs and Os guy, but needed the solid staff behind him to get the good recruits. What he did to Pinkel's Mizzou every year was outstanding. Barring 30-3 and 70-3 though, the North was so weak we didn't deserve to be "North champs" most of the year.

After he left we got drubbed every year by Mizzou.

As many years as GB was a successful coach I would be surprised if JE doesn't have some questions for him. GB had his failings but he also had some quality success and he knows a lot about fundamental football.
After the Ochs and Houston debacles, GB convinced himself he did not need the headaches and he could win with lesser talent. He was a great coach who became myopic and ruined a good thing (the recruiting scandal did not help and became a great excuse).

i have to say this.

compare GB's team pre "recruting scandal" and post. compare what he brought in before the restrictions vs after.

GB was a damn good coach. you dont take NW to the rose bowl by being a bad coach.

his fate was sealed when those self imposed recruiting restricions took place.

he was in a no win situation. period.

now, dont make me out for some GB knob slobber. he had his faults. as mentioned above, he was loyal to a fault. that DC of his was just gawd awful. that is just the tip of it.

but, i will tell you right here and now. the reason GB lost his job at CU was because of the restricions CU had on him for recruiting. he just could not bring in any top talent regardless of how he felt about recruiting. the restrictions were beyond absurd. it was a lost cause from the day those sanctions were imposed.

and all because he told the truth.

amazing.

Back