What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

George's BHAG for FB by 2016

What the hell should the goals be? I'd think striving to meet lofty goals is the attitude we should have.

Let's consider also the reason he's making these statements. He may or may not believe the goals are feasible himself, but the point is made that generic talk of "getting better" isn't going to yield increased athletic revenue. I can't claim to be inside Mr. George's head, but the cynic in me assumes this is big talk to get fans excited, which will hopefully lead to increased tickets sales, Buff Club donations (or whatever else you call it) and possibly even one or two big booster donations. Also, unless these goals trickled down from university officials on-high, nobody's going to hold him accountable to these goals -- he's going to be held accountable to the overall perceived performance whether or not CU obtains the (arbitrary) goals he sets. As fans, we'll forget about them once kickoff takes place for the CSU game this year.

Related but different subject, how about the bowl bid in two years goal? Do we see seven wins in 2015 (I'm assuming that will be required with a 13 game schedule)? Also, I just this minute learned that playing @ Hawaii gives teams a 13th by a special NCAA rule (no more bitching about East coast bias).
Anyway, here's the 2015 Schedule, commentated:
Hawaii (Away) - Sat, Sep 5
sure, call it a win
UMass (Home) - Sat, Sep 12
at Folsom? Buffs crush.
CSU (Neutral) - Sat, Sep 19
let's call it a 3-0 start
Nichols State (Home) - Sat, Sep 26
4-0

OK, assuming the Buffs make it unscathed through the non-conf schedule, we need 3 more wins. I gave this a little thought -- not sure if anyone else has noticed, but CU's in a really good conference, top to bottom.

Home has four tough ones, but let's assume we get one (I pick Arizona):
ARIZONA
STANFORD
OREGON
USC

If I'm right so far, we need two away wins. I'm thinking Utah and WSU are the best chances:
ARIZONA STATE
OREGON STATE
UCLA
UTAH
WASHINGTON STATE

This is stupid. There's literally no reason to build $140million facilities if it isn't going to make us more competitive and therefore raise expectations.

Yes. What would you consider "realistic?" Cut the deficit to 14ppg by 2016? Only 3 blowouts by 30 points in year 4?

Again - why couldn't RG just say "we expect ALL of our teams to be playing for conference championships, every year." Lofty goal set without unreasonably setting a coach up to fail.

ARIZONA
STANFORD
OREGON
USC

If I'm right so far, we need two away wins. I'm thinking Utah and WSU are the best chances:
ARIZONA STATE
OREGON STATE
UCLA
UTAH
WASHINGTON STATE

Oof that home conference schedule is rough in 2015

The mandate for sport specific goals are probably coming down from Benson, if I had to guess. Now that Benson has turned his focus to the Boulder campus and athletics, I'd be surprised if he wasn't demanding more accountability.

Seriously? **** yes to these goals. Stop bitching, if you are. Any negatives are minor. The positives are immense.

Again - why couldn't RG just say "we expect ALL of our teams to be playing for conference championships, every year." Lofty goal set without unreasonably setting a coach up to fail.

Because that is far too ambiguous for big time college athletics. This isn't a world of "ok, I'll try harder next time and see what happens". RG is saying to the coaches, particularly MM, if you want to get paid like the big boys you better win like the big boys. I see nothing wrong with this approach. When we set sales goals at my place of employment we set specific and aggressive numbers. We don't say "we expect you to do well this year, ok guys and gals".

Seriously? **** yes to these goals. Stop bitching, if you are. Any negatives are minor. The positives are immense.

So I have zero disagreement with all of Duff's AND Snow's posts in this thread...y'all need to quit bitching.

Given the choice between no clear goals (Bohn) and clear, but lofty goals (RG), give me the lofty goals every time. Not only will it help with the donations going forward it also shows potential recruits and coaches that the CUAD wants to be at the top.

I think this fanbase just likes to bitch, surprised there's no bitching about how it's too warm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have zero disagreement with all of Duff's AND Snow's posts in this thread...y'all need to quit bitching.

Given the choice between no clear goals (Bohn) and clear, but lofty goals (RG), give me the lofty goals every time. Not only will it help with the donations going forward it also shows potential recruits and coaches that the CUAD wants to be at the top.

I think this fanbase just likes to bitch, surprised there's no bitching about how it's too warm...

You think the fan base is bitching now? Just wait until the football program isn't playing in the conference championship game by 2016.

I like the goals as well. I think the odds of achieving them, especially in football, are extremely low, but I like the goals. Sends the right message to everyone (donors, conference, recruits, public, etc). Also creates some accountability, something the AD has sorely lacked in the last decade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because that is far too ambiguous for big time college athletics. This isn't a world of "ok, I'll try harder next time and see what happens". RG is saying to the coaches, particularly MM, if you want to get paid like the big boys you better win like the big boys. I see nothing wrong with this approach. When we set sales goals at my place of employment we set specific and aggressive numbers. We don't say "we expect you to do well this year, ok guys and gals".

You think MacIntyre is getting paid "like the big boys?"

Do you hear Alabama, or Oklahoma, or Florida State, or Ohio State, or any of the other schools in the Pac-12 coming out with ultimatums for their football programs?

A goal is an ultimatum? Time to quit while you're behind. Step away from the computer

Do you hear Alabama, or Oklahoma, or Florida State, or Ohio State, or any of the other schools in the Pac-12 coming out with ultimatums for their football programs?

A goal and a ultimatum are not the same thing.

A goal is an ultimatum? Time to quit while you're behind. Step away from the computer

What else could it be?? If you don't meet your goals - do you get to keep your job? Does anybody? Are you telling me that if this "goal" isn't met by 2016 you aren't going to hold MacIntyre/George accountable for it? Why even bother saying it, if it isn't your expected standard?

You shoot for your goal. If you make it fantastic, if you don't then the progress will be evaluated. If they are a game out of 1st in the south, I think MM is fine. If we are still dead last in the south, then he will be gone.

Ultimatum would be, either win the south or you are fired. RG did not say that.

Everyone who has ever missed a goal has been fired. FACT

Let's set really low goals so we can feel all warm and fuzzy inside when we reach them.

Chris Petersen: $3.6 million
Steve Sarkisian: $3 million
David Shaw: $2.5 million
Kyle Whittingham: $2.4 million
Todd Graham: $2.3 million
Rich Rodriguez: $2.25 million
Jim Mora: $2.2 million
Mike Leach: $2.2 million
Mike MacIntyre: $2 million
Sonny Dykes: $1.9 million
Mark Helfrich: $1.8 million
Mike Riley: $1.3 million

So, yes, I do think he is being paid like a big boy. Ask Lane Kiffin if USC has standards. Some of the other programs you mentioned OK (beat 'Bama), FSU (National Champs), OSU (nearly went undefeated), so yes, I believe they have "utlimatums" as well.

Couple of those coaches have shown more at the BCS level than MM as well. If MM keeps showing progress he will get paid a large amount

Who says he has to make a change though? Most reasonable fans are going to understand why MacIntyre would be staying beyond 2016, provided there is clear, discernable progress.

This. There's a difference between setting high goals and rallying the boosters at the pep rally and reality sometimes.

I did not see the goals so I do not know if he meant the 2015 season or the 2016 season. If it is 2016, that will be MacIntyre's 4th Season and I would hope we would see significant progress by then.

What are people's goals for football by 2016?

What else could it be?? If you don't meet your goals - do you get to keep your job? Does anybody? Are you telling me that if this "goal" isn't met by 2016 you aren't going to hold MacIntyre/George accountable for it? Why even bother saying it, if it isn't your expected standard?

I'm not going back to read the language, but I think that the Pac 12 championship game was termed something like a "strategic indicator". In other words, it's a point of analysis to determine if we're on track for our long term objectives.

Misleading threadtitle. Thought this was about George's Bodaciously Humongous, Awesome Gonads for Free Balling.

That said, it didn't take big balls for George to say what he did, it took big brains. With our schedule, a bowl game next year will be tough, but has to be a goal. If we make it, great, if not, then Mac is introduced to the hotseat (just slightly lukewarm) and pressured to have a solid recruitment class. Same goes for 2015. Not only should the goal be for a bowl game but for a relevant one. If no bowls for Mac through three years, then the recruitment class grades probably decide Mac's fate.

But with a bowl game in 2015 and the steady improvement we are expecting, the ADs goal MUST be for a conference championship game in three years. If we are not even close it is definitely time for change. If we compete for the the south title but lose it in the last week or two then everything is okay and we say we had lofty goals (as we should every year) and were right there in a great conference. No issue, Mac stays, and we hope for a great season in 2017

Back