What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Getting Stronger

Isn't that destined to be the weight room for the 30-40 member track and field and CC teams? Even so, its totaly unfinished, clearly a temp space, whatever its final use may be.

The room is the new olympic sports weight room. It isn't 100% finished yet and is pulling double duty by serving as the weight room for the football team as well.

hopefully they can put temp. walls where the glass overhead doors are supposed to go into the IPF so they can get the football weight room done this summer. i wouldn't think they would allow weight room to be used unless there was a hard barrier to the IPF considering how much construction is going on there.

weight.PNG

Flexibility is huge in all aspects of overall athleticism, but box jumps are also a measure of a player's explosiveness.

What is explosiveness? This is my science brain in control here but it seems to be a relative and arbitrary designation.

To me it looks like they can just bend through the hip better and are strong enough to compensate a wider mass distribution atop the box once they set their feet.

If it is the force produced by muscle groups working against a resisting force (gravity in this case), I don't see how box jumps differ from a standing high jump which involves negates any bending or rotation.

What is explosiveness? This is my science brain in control here but it seems to be a relative and arbitrary designation.

To me it looks like they can just bend through the hip better and are strong enough to compensate a wider mass distribution atop the box once they set their feet.

If it is the force produced by muscle groups working against a resisting force (gravity in this case), I don't see how box jumps differ from a standing high jump which involves negates any bending or rotation.

I'm not a scientologist or anything, so I don't have a definition of explosiveness or a true explanation of the science involved. It's been discussed in other threads, but I believe the better way to test a player's physical attributes as they pertain to football, are the "explosive tests". The ones I'm referring to are the 20 yard shuttle, vertical jump, broad jump and 3 cone drill. All of those are designed to test a player's ability to go from a static physical state to exerting 100% energy/effort into a short period of time. Short burst acceleration, lateral quickness and change of direction set players apart, IMO, and those tests I listed are all better indicators of those attributes than something like the 40 time.

I did a few curls with some 5 lb weights this week, so the players aren't the only ones getting stronger.

I'm not a scientologist or anything, so I don't have a definition of explosiveness or a true explanation of the science involved. It's been discussed in other threads, but I believe the better way to test a player's physical attributes as they pertain to football, are the "explosive tests". The ones I'm referring to are the 20 yard shuttle, vertical jump, broad jump and 3 cone drill. All of those are designed to test a player's ability to go from a static physical state to exerting 100% energy/effort into a short period of time. Short burst acceleration, lateral quickness and change of direction set players apart, IMO, and those tests I listed are all better indicators of those attributes than something like the 40 time.

I'm not a scientologist either

Luckily, we have an expert on the board.
[MENTION=6423]FLounder[/MENTION]

Explosiveness is the ability to turn potential energy into kinetic energy in a short amount of time. So there.

Explosiveness is related to power

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_(physics)

Basically, Power = work / time

Work = Force * distance

Force = mass * acceleration

Being able to say squat 600 doesn't exhibit a lot of power, because it's a slow movement. However, a lot of work is done as it requires a lot of force. It's a reason why power lifters chuckle at most exercises people do at the gym. The squat, bench, deadlift and press get a lot more work done than 500 other exercises people do combined. Think slow twitch muscles.

Explosive movements like box jumps and the clean, jerk and snatch don't exert the same amount of work because the weights used are a lot lighter. However, they are quick (full body) movements. Fast twitch muscles are used. You can't train this as much because it's largely genetic on how many fast twitch muscles you have (and based on when you started to train).

But explosive movements require strength. They say you should be at 2x bodyweight DL and 1.5x bodyweight squat before you do explosive training. The guys in the Olympics doing Oly lifting are beasts, respective to their body weight.

Those guys are Oly lifters, not power lifters. Most power lifters don't have incredible explosiveness as its not their sport. Power lifters would destroy them in their core lifts.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZeV6W1VEoM" target="_blank">[video=youtube;wZeV6W1VEoM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZeV6W1VEoM[/video]

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny2DD0T8Hlw" target="_blank">[video=youtube;ny2DD0T8Hlw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny2DD0T8Hlw[/video]

Back