What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Glad Offer was Leaked

boydbuff

Club Member
Club Member
Not sure who leaked more of the terms of the BJ offer, and I know earlier Bohn was on record saying we would offer up to $2.5m, but I am glad it got out there. Here's why:

-CU has been bashed plenty by credible former coaches like Barnett along with senile and illogical people like Coach Mac and Klatt, et. al. that the position may not have seemed attractive

-Relatedly, it was public that Embree earned less than $1m and that our facilities were lagging and that there was an apparent lack of donors and administration commitment to investing in the FB program

-the offer on the table has to make CU more attractive to alot more people (may have something to do with why Fassel expressed interest-not arguing here that he is of interest to us btw).

-Tuberville coming out of the blue to take the UC job has reinforced the point that the public nature of our offer is beneficial. I say this because who knows what other coaches are out there with big time BCS HC experience that are unhappy where they are, looking for a new challenge or looking for a raise, etc.

I bet that TUberville reached out to Bohn. We certainly have a lot more attractive features for an SEC/Big 12 coach than UC, including salary, facilities, etc. We probably weren't interested. But I bet Bohn has received plenty of interest as a result of the public nature of the offer.

However, don't get me started on the public nature of his visit although as others have suggested, much of that may have been brought on by BJ's agent.

The flip side is that it sort-of becomes the negotiating starting point, and there may be coaches that would have happily taken, say $10million over five years that now would balk at anything less than the offer we gave to Butchie.

As stated in another thread, doing these negotiations in secret is the best approach.

The flip side is that it sort-of becomes the negotiating starting point, and there may be coaches that would have happily taken, say $10million over five years that now would balk at anything less than the offer we gave to Butchie.

As stated in another thread, doing these negotiations in secret is the best approach.
I hear you but at this point in our program, I could care less if we spend a little more on a coach than we have to.

I prefer to cast a wide net and attract the best candidates possible, over attracting fewer candidates b/c they assume the salary is too low or facilities commitment is weak.

Coaching salaries at each institution seem to become a slippery slope. BItch playing us as he did just set that bar at CU going forward. Of course Im fine with that if the product justifies the salary.

Back