What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Gold Brick Games- 2016 additions?

Who decides which games become "Gold Brick" games? Does the coach nominate which he believes are worthy than the AD etc votes? How does it all work?

Oregon, Utah and WSU are all worthy of consideration. I think I would go with Oregon and Utah-- Oregon felt like such a crucial turning point, and it was full of iconic key plays and impressive performances. There are a lot of great narratives surrounding that game, and it was the first.... "holy ****, we really are back!" kind of moment. The excitement of that game still glows, even though you'd think it would pale given the fact that Oregon turned out to be well below average last year. Utah, on the other hand, wasn't a great game-- it was full of miscues and missed opportunities. I hate being up 10-7 or whatever it was at half time and feeling like it should be 21-7. The game also lacked an "exclamation" mark. The fumble-6 was great, but the last ten minutes or so were more uncomfortable than they had any right to be. I feel like we didn't play particularly well, but still managed to achieve something huge in winning the division, and that alone is enough to deserve the gold brick.

WSU, I think, was our best game of the year. We did great things in all three phases of the game against a very worthy opponent, and Sefo had perhaps his greatest game as a Buff. It was a huge game, but its implications didn't quite match the excitement of Oregon, or the achievement of Utah.

Also, looking through this reminded me how hideous our uniforms were during the Hawkins era. Ugh.

Last edited:
I'd definitely put Oregon in and WSU. Utah was a terrible game but I guess it did win the division so maybe all 3.

I know that Oregon was a huge game and everything but I doubt anyone in the AD will put up a win over a 4-8 squad as a brick game. That would be embarrassing sitting next to the rest of the games.

Oregon and Utah. Oregon made a statement, internally and externally. Utah won the division.

I'd argue that for program perception, winning at Stanford and getting the UCLA & ASU monkeys off our back were almost as important.

I forgot Stanford. Probably because it was such a boring game. But yeah, that's probably the highest quality win of the year. On the road against a team that had absolutely owned us in prior years. Defense was huge in that game.

I forgot Stanford. Probably because it was such a boring game. But yeah, that's probably the highest quality win of the year. On the road against a team that had absolutely owned us in prior years. Defense was huge in that game.
Pretty awesome to beat mccaffery too.

I take no small comfort in the fact that McCaffery will go through the rest of his life having lost to CU the last time he played us.
Does it change perception of McCaffrey "spurning" CU when you know that our staff at the time didn't even recruit him as a RB? What miserable incompetence.

Does it change perception of McCaffrey "spurning" CU when you know that our staff at the time didn't even recruit him as a RB? What miserable incompetence.
I assume that was Embree, what a huge mistake. Might not have ultimately made a difference, but still, wow.

Nope. My perception of McCaffrey as a selfish spoiled brat remains unchanged.

I don't blame mccaffery at all, most of my sports allegiances are built from by parents, I just thought it was ironic we beat one of the best athletes to come out of cu who could have hurried the rise even more in his senior year.

Meh. Eliminating the 1% chance we had entirely is not worth getting worked up over.

Stanford and Utah. Both wins against teams that finished top 25. One was a monster of a road win in hindsight as Stanford really ended up being a great team as the year went on and Utah was a win over a ranked team for the division.

Stanford was a monster win that really started to convince everyone something special was brewing in Boulder. And I was at that game!

as a well-educated CU grad, I do not like the "gold brick" term. "Gold-bricking" is making excuses and not doing your job, Also,

noun: goldbrick
  1. 1.
    a thing that looks valuable but is in fact worthless.
The concept is great but someone should figure out a better name

Back