What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good article on differences between the 4-3 and the 3-4

Thanks for the link...

I think many fans say that if you have more talent at linebacker then switch to the 3-4. It is not that simple...I noticed that Casserly said to give yourself 2 years to get it implemented...

Running the 3-4 is a totally different philosophy because you are changing your base defense - it is not like going to the nickel or dime package out of the base defense.

Biggest issues for CU, lack of a true Nose Tackle (think Joel Steed). To me, the NT position is critical to the 3-4. I think you have to have a couple of guys that you can substitute in and out of the game. Second issue, this is a change in defensive philosophy and you have to commit to it not just jump into it once in awhile. Dan Hawkins regime seems to have an issue strongly committing to anything on either offense or defense.

I believe that teams have to know what systems they are trying to run and recruit the talent for their system.

Thanks for the link...

I think many fans say that if you have more talent at linebacker then switch to the 3-4. It is not that simple...I noticed that Casserly said to give yourself 2 years to get it implemented...

Running the 3-4 is a totally different philosophy because you are changing your base defense - it is not like going to the nickel or dime package out of the base defense.

Biggest issues for CU, lack of a true Nose Tackle (think Joel Steed). To me, the NT position is critical to the 3-4. I think you have to have a couple of guys that you can substitute in and out of the game. Second issue, this is a change in defensive philosophy and you have to commit to it not just jump into it once in awhile. Dan Hawkins regime seems to have an issue strongly committing to anything on either offense or defense.

I believe that teams have to know what systems they are trying to run and recruit the talent for their system.

:nod: Spot on. :smile2:

B&G nailed it. The NT is important, as is the pass rushing OLB. We do seem to be targeting bigger DTs and the athletic hybrid DE/OLB prospects.

Back