What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good day re:CSU

No way Florida is a "top 5" job.

If that was the case, Ron Zook, Will Muschamp, Urban Meyer and McElwain would never have been candidates.

It is a very nice football program - but in the SEC alone there are probably 5 jobs that are better.

Sorry. That's just plain wrong. There's *maybe* one job in the SEC that's better - Alabama. Otherwise, UF has advantages that the rest of us can only dream of. I would argue that it is a top 5 job, but I'd be willing to concede that if it's not, it's at least top 10. They have it all there - money, conference affiliation, great local recruiting, national exposure, weather, hot co-eds, booster support, administration support, and it's a very solid academic institution on top of it all. It's right up there with Texas and USC, IMO.

Sorry. That's just plain wrong. There's *maybe* one job in the SEC that's better - Alabama. Otherwise, UF has advantages that the rest of us can only dream of. I would argue that it is a top 5 job, but I'd be willing to concede that if it's not, it's at least top 10. They have it all there - money, conference affiliation, great local recruiting, national exposure, weather, hot co-eds, booster support, administration support, and it's a very solid academic institution on top of it all. It's right up there with Texas and USC, IMO.

bama and maybe LSU. what are you smoking slade?

If that was the case, Ron Zook, Will Muschamp, Urban Meyer and McElwain would never have been candidates.

It is a very nice football program - but in the SEC alone there are probably 5 jobs that are better.
How much bath salts did you smoke this morning, man?

Sparkles has CSU bent over a barrel. They can either: 1) negotiate down the (ridiculous) $7.5 million buyout and let Sparkles flee to Florida or 2) refuse to negotiate the buyout and keep a coach who clearly wanted out--and has been negotiating with UF for a couple of weeks. That's good PR!

I'm not even sure the negotiations will lead to a bigger buyout than if they had just included a reasonable buyout number in the contract.

Poor Rammies.

Yes, sort of. I can't imagine this playing out where the buyout isn't negotiated at all, but I also think CSU comes away happy (as they can be after losing their coach). The whole point of a buyout is to be compensated if another school hires him away. That won't be entirely disregarded. Sparkles signed the initial contract and extension knowing what that number was (and presuming it was at least a little negotiable). That initial contract and extension were good for both parties. CSU gave Sparkles his first shot and made him the highest paid coach in the MWC. That isn't insignificant. In exchange, Sparkles agreed to compensate CSU if he left before the end of the contract. Both parties have interest in getting this done at this point, there is no way Sparkles can return and CSU doesn't want to be known as preventing this move.

Can't imagine why Sparkles allowed them to include it in the first place. He was holding all of the cards after the 8 wins last season.

I don't know, if Florida hired him after being the OC at Alabama where he had won two national titles it would look like a decent hire, but on top of that he won 10 games at f**king CSU amid a turnover at AD. Seems like a damn good hire to me.

He won 10 games with one of the easiest schedules in the country. People forget that Hawkins had the best record in the country while he was at BSU. It doesn't mean the same as winning 10 games in a P5 Conference.

Can't imagine why Sparkles allowed them to include it in the first place. He was holding all of the cards after the 8 wins last season.
That question has been asked. Keep in mind the buyout decreases each year as long as no new extensions are signed (which would have been on the table after this season). I think it comes down to he was relatively happy at CSU, he was making great MWC money (and had performance escalators that could have added serious cash), didn't have intentions of leaving this quickly, and most importantly didn't think a program like Florida would show interest in him this quickly. I'm not naive enough to think he viewed CSU as his dream job but I think his intentions were to stick around a little while and wait for the right move. The right move didn't come 2 years from now.

He won 10 games with one of the easiest schedules in the country. People forget that Hawkins had the best record in the country while he was at BSU. It doesn't mean the same as winning 10 games in a P5 Conference.

Are you aware of a P5 conference head coach who is interested in the Florida job?

Of course it isn't the same thing, but he wasn't using P5 players or resources nor recruiting using a P5 brand. No one knows how successful he will be at Florida but improving CSU this much over 3 seasons is a big accomplishment.

He played the schedule he was given, what was he supposed to do? And Boise was good before Hawk took over, CSU was awful, big difference.

Name them.

Dan Hawkins to CSU would be sooooo awesome. I actually would like that game if that happened!

Channel 4 reporting that Florida is leaving without McElwain on the plane. Talks will apparently continue. That would be the biggest botch job in history if the Florida AD isn't able to close the deal with McElwain and CSU.

Channel 4 reporting that Florida is leaving without McElwain on the plane. Talks will apparently continue. That would be the biggest botch job in history if the Florida AD isn't able to close the deal with McElwain and CSU.

Flight not scheduled to leave for another hour.

Flight not scheduled to leave for another hour.

From Michelle Tuckner's twitter feed: Did not see Jim McElwain with Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley as plane leaving Ft. Collins @KDVR

B39JOiuCIAAZHxb.jpg:large

Even if he stays now, he's a lame duck. Everybody will use this against CSU in recruiting. "CSU? Their coach has one foot out the door". At this point the deal has to get done.

From Michelle Tuckner's twitter feed: Did not see Jim McElwain with Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley as plane leaving Ft. Collins @KDVR

B39JOiuCIAAZHxb.jpg:large

That isn't what the flight log showed as scheduled.

Appears they left early though. odd.

Attachments

• flight.JPG
    flight.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
He is probably meeting with the players later then heading down on his own.

If he's leaving, that's the way to do it.

Unlike the way ASU's Todd Graham left Pitt or Lane Kiffin left Tennessee.

Back