What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good win tonight

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
It looks like they may have found an identity on offense (finally!).

I'm just not sure what to think of this team after four games though. Did I think we would be 3-1? Absolutely not. Do I have any idea how good this team truly is? Absolutely not. Maybe next week on the road will tell us more?

I like the simple offense, make it simple and execute. Lets hope it can be held together.

Would have really liked to see us be more aggressive after we went up 29 - 24. But, it is nice to see a good ground game developing.

I agree but they need to keep going downfield to clemons,patterson,richardson etc...The 3 yard passes are awful.

I really cannot fault the playcalling tonight. Kiesau really mixed it up nicely and allowed Hansen to make some plays with his feet.

I really cannot fault the playcalling tonight. Kiesau really mixed it up nicely and allowed Hansen to make some plays with his feet.

I was pretty unimpressed with the 1st half play calling despite hansen's running success. I thought the 2nd 1/2 was a lot better.

I was pretty unimpressed with the 1st half play calling despite hansen's running success. I thought the 2nd 1/2 was a lot better.

The commitment to the running game in the 1st half paid off in the second half.

Would like to see some play action with quick hits down the middle. Our TE's are not a factor at all. Kiesau is mixing it up well though and there is improvement. But I have no idea what we have. My gut is that we have read too much into the shellacking at Cal and we have beaten 3 bad teams (sort of stole this one vs. UGA but we cleaned up a LOT of mistakes we've seen in the past). Kick/punt coverage still bad. It's week to week and at 3-1, I have to give the kids some credit for heart. That Cal beating was an easy place to jump off the bus but they have rallied back.

Now the big question. Can they play a lot better on the Road?

Too many pass plays where the receiver, be it a WR or a TE or an RB, catches the ball -3 yards from the line of scrimmage and then is expected to turn it into something. I would rather see those plays as RUNNING PLAYS.

We have some good - TALL - receivers. We need to be throwing the ball downfield more than we do.

The final numbers were like 40+ rushing plays, 20 passing plays. I like those numbers. Just wish those passing plays were of the 7+ yard variety more often. We threw downfield like 3 times, and all were big plays.

Also - I have to give credit to Hansen - I thought he played a very good game last night, his passes were on the money, and his scrambling is always good.

Too many pass plays where the receiver, be it a WR or a TE or an RB, catches the ball -3 yards from the line of scrimmage and then is expected to turn it into something. I would rather see those plays as RUNNING PLAYS.

We have some good - TALL - receivers. We need to be throwing the ball downfield more than we do.

kind of my pet peeve with this O is we have a ton of routes where the WR/TE catches the ball facing the QB....making YAC nearly impossible. but, i was encouraged by some of the playcalling last night....

I really don't know what the think. It was a great win. I think the team executed very well. Few turnovers, little penalties. Excellent on third down. We had a decent pass rush. Hansen played really well. I still think he tucks it too soon, but doing so resulted in some big plays. The INT was a bad pass, but half Deehan's fault. Jimmy Smith is a pimp! AJ Green is insanely good.

Special teams continue to blow. You can't constantly give up that kind of field position and expect to win on a regular basis. Although we ran the ball well (for us), our run game still seems gimmicky. Wish we had a power back. I can't for the life of me figure out why we elected to go for the two point conversion. Maybe it was just a way to get Cody some PT. Letting Goodman kick the 52 yard FG at the end seemed like a bad decision. Hawk has always undervalued field position.

Great win, but let's not forget that Georgia handed it to us.

Lots of good points in this thread. The passing game is still a bit of a work in progress, but I am still very happy we have found a way to move the ball on the ground consistently. BTW, can we please use that option pitch to Stewart again this season? We do not need to use it 15 times a game, but a couple of plays like that at opportune times can go big like the one last night. It was a great play call that caught UGA completely out of position.

The only real issues that continue to come up on defense are the lack of a pass rush and the play of the safeties. Murray had all day to throw at times tonight and Polk/Perkins were caught out of position several times tonight. But how about that red zone defense? Hell yeah, kept us in the game once again like the Hawaii game. The stop just before half after we turned the ball over was big too. If UGA had gotten points out of that drive, the game might have been totally different. The defense gives up a lot of yardage, but they make key plays when needed.

Special teams? Well, two outta three ain't bad.

I was impressed with the opening drive and the I-formation throughout. I didn't like how we seemed to go away from it. I was hoping the next drive would be a I-formation hurry offense to take the wind and the spirit from the UGA team. Of course, we were starting from our own 10... that may have made things a little more conservative.

I don't pay enough attention, but the I believe I did see for the first time... RS and B-lock in the backfield at the same time. Resulted in a swing pass that was good and positive.

I also liked the misdirection plays like the pitches to RS. That is the kind of thing you can do when you establish the inside running game.

I made a remark during the game to those around me wondering when imagination was part of our offensive philosophy.

Not a fan of the 3-yard passes either.

All I know is that I enjoyed the game... the crowd... and the results last night. Great to be back to Boulder for a game... see you in Columbus... and a bowl game if it is close enough to VaBeach

The team is playing with more confidence than we have ever seen under Hawk. I like that. I'm not sure if that is the result of Hawk, or the senior leaders on the team (who seem very strong this year) or Coach Mac and all the 90'ers spending so much time with the team the last two weeks but it's definitely been visible on the field. I don't know if it will continue but we got something cooking right now.

I can live with giving up yards if we stay stingy in the red zone like this, props to the D for that. Loved the option calls and the fake fb pitchout play, plus we were patient with the running game last night and it paid off. Also the playaction play to Jefferson was textbook and executed perfect. I dont think I have seen Tyler throw a better ball than on that one. Nice play by Richardson on the fade, that was a crap call. Special Teams were flat bad and alot of is was simple **** like getting out of lanes and please stop the Rugby punt.

The main points have all been covered in this thread, the one that stuck out to me the most is the better then 2-to-1 run-to-pass ratio. I love it, I just don't get why it took 4 years for that to finally happen. And with all the running early on, it's no coincidence that those little swing passes that so often were a disaster in the past suddenly started working so well.

Great win last night. It was ugly but it was nice to see the energy and enthusiasm through out the entire game!

I agree with most of whats being said here. The pitch to RS was great, I had to do a double-take in the bar when that happened, my jaw was dropped. I couldn't believe we were actually using our QBs mobility as a deception for once. That play shows that we could mix the option in a little more and be successful.

I don't remember the PA to Will Jeff. When was that? There were some great passing plays and a few bad one especially that pass that was way behind deehan which led to the INT, no bueno.

Special teams was atrocious. I am glad that after that bungled return by Nabors and BLock that they took out Nabors and put Clemons and BLock back there. That really changed the dynamic of kick returns. That was about the only good thing on special teams.

No need to mention Goodman either, I think we all know what needs to happen with him. I was sitting with some CU fans, and before our drive I explained exactly what was about to happen for the last 7 minutes. They didn't believe me but it almost came true until that fumble.

GO BUFFS!

Great win last night. It was ugly but it was nice to see the energy and enthusiasm through out the entire game!

I agree with most of whats being said here. The pitch to RS was great, I had to do a double-take in the bar when that happened, my jaw was dropped. I couldn't believe we were actually using our QBs mobility as a deception for once. That play shows that we could mix the option in a little more and be successful.

I don't remember the PA to Will Jeff. When was that? There were some great passing plays and a few bad one especially that pass that was way behind deehan which led to the INT, no bueno.

Special teams was atrocious. I am glad that after that bungled return by Nabors and BLock that they took out Nabors and put Clemons and BLock back there. That really changed the dynamic of kick returns. That was about the only good thing on special teams.

No need to mention Goodman either, I think we all know what needs to happen with him. I was sitting with some CU fans, and before our drive I explained exactly what was about to happen for the last 7 minutes. They didn't believe me but it almost came true until that fumble.

GO BUFFS!

The only deep ball of the night really, no names on the jersey is kicking my white ass lol. I think it's who it was to.

The only deep ball of the night really, no names on the jersey is kicking my white ass lol. I think it's who it was to.

Yes, if I recall correctly. 40+ yards down the middle of the field - WillJeff outran that $ec db and Hansen put it right on the money. Nice to have more than one receiver who can stretch the D.

I know some of the rules are different in college, but what factors came into play in the non-catch by Richardson? Catch the ball, both feet hit the ground and he then twists in what looks to be an attempt to make a move, is hit, and then hits the ground and loses the ball. How can that not be a catch? I hope someone has the answer to this one.

I thought the coaching staff put in some nice twists to the offense. Loved the option pitch to stewart. I would like to see more pass plays "downfield" to clemons and the rest. The 3 yd pass 5 yds short of the first down marker needs to be gone. Running game was nice and hansen made some huge plays with his scrambling.

Defense as BB stated gives up yds but gets stingy in the red zone. One concern is pass rush from our DL. Kasa, West and herrod haven't done much and pericak hasn't been mentioned as much as last year. Our safties must improve and quick.

Good win, in years past, once cu gets behind by 10,game over. This team at home has found some mental toughness and got the job done. Next week's game should be a sign if this team has turned the corner or not.

I know some of the rules are different in college, but what factors came into play in the non-catch by Richardson? Catch the ball, both feet hit the ground and he then twists in what looks to be an attempt to make a move, is hit, and then hits the ground and loses the ball. How can that not be a catch? I hope someone has the answer to this one.

I was really confused about this call yesterday. It looked like a catch to me when I saw it and it looked like a catch on the multiple replays. WTF?

I was really confused about this call yesterday. It looked like a catch to me when I saw it and it looked like a catch on the multiple replays. WTF?

I was a bit confused by this too. Is it the same as the NFL rule where he needs to maintain possession thru hitting the ground? If so, then I can see why it was called incomplete.

I was a bit confused by this too. Is it the same as the NFL rule where he needs to maintain possession thru hitting the ground? If so, then I can see why it was called incomplete.

To me it looked like he was tossing the ball to the ref, confident in the completion. It was a real head-scratcher for me, and for the announcers in the booth.

Also, wasn't it B-Lock who made that catch/non-catch?

To me it looked like he was tossing the ball to the ref, confident in the completion. It was a real head-scratcher for me, and for the announcers in the booth.

Also, wasn't it B-Lock who made that catch/non-catch?

No, it was #80. I'm pretty sure that's Richardson (the frosh).

Back