What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Grade the 1st 1,000 Days of Rick George's Tenure

What grade do you give Rick George's first 1,000 days on the job?

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.
I remember him saying there was a 4 million dollar shortfall his first year ( he inherited about a 6 million dollar shortfall) and then they submitted a balanced budget for the 2014-15 fiscal year and then I believe there was an article later that year saying they made a tiny profit which I assume was the same as this upcoming fiscal year end this summer.

RG gets an A+ for the facilities upgrades and fund raising. He gets an incomplete for coaching decisions and ability to negotiate with big business, a solid C for his efforts in basketball and a big fat F for student engagement. I think that the facilities should be weight more than basketball and more than student engagement. So I would give him a B for now, recognizing that he can now focus on one of thos incomplete items and pay more attention to baskeball and student engagement.
I totally get where you're coming from...I'm guessing his shortfalls were due to priorities and lack of resources. The next year or 2 should show if that's true.

"A" for first 1,000 days, primarily because of the facilities. He accomplished something, really, pretty phenomenal with both the facilities and the fund raising and doing it in the throes of the football program being in the abyss. He also greatly improved support from the administration. He gets a pass on some of the on field results.

But now the second 1,000 days begin. The facilities are in place. His focus now has to be building the football program that is a perrinial power, fan support and student involvement. Fund raising needs to continue to grow. He and his fellow Pac 12 AD's must improve the Pac's national presence and appeal on the field, on the courts and in the media.

39158951569531495190.jpg

Well I know they did not turn a profit in 2014 and these are not student fees - those are a different line item and would never add up to almost $9 million. I have never heard them say the AD would make a profit.

This is why transparency is important.

Good to have arrive on scene after your predecessor roped you into a new conference that had a higher profile and equal revenue sharing. And that conference went on to sign the largest TV contract in college sports at the time. Which helped make facilities possible...

Balanced budgets suggest to me that Benson & Co. may want the AD to be, and stay, financially independent. Which wouldn't surprise me given Bensons background. That makes the decision to hire an AD from professional sports with an operations backround seem a bit clearer now. Hmmmm....

I should have voted B.

I can't believe I forgot to mention that RG brought beer gardens to Folsom.

Here's a great idea for CU from Ohio State. Sell beer throughout stadium and get a PR win from it by using some of the revenue to endow a couple CU PD jobs. Brilliant!

I can't believe I forgot to mention that RG brought beer gardens to Folsom.

Here's a great idea for CU from Ohio State. Sell beer throughout stadium and get a PR win from it by using some of the revenue to endow a couple CU PD jobs. Brilliant!

He gets a minus for putting the beer garden into Balch though. It was way better out on the plaza.

He gets a minus for putting the beer garden into Balch though. It was way better out on the plaza.
Once Balch is gone/renovated, the beer garden in that spot will be outstanding.

I honestly think they should sell SRO tickets for $10 and let anybody come in to the beer garden(s). You can still watch the game, but you don't get a seat. Just access to the beer garden.

Dude.
From 1986-1996, that student section was packed. I know, I was in it for a chunk of that time.
Hell the student section was packed in 01-06 until juicebox destroyed the program. It was relatively full until 08 with bright spots against OU, WVU, UGA in there. Student attendance fell through the floor during the water bottle era. MM is just now getting to a point where student engagement at football is escalating (see Oregon last season).

......... He also mentions "rails" for Folsom and Coors, which I think has to do with the new regulations about storming the field or court. ..............

What I believe "rails" may be referring to is putting handrails on the steps from the concourse into the seats. I know they investigated doing that at Coors a few years ago. What I was told at that time was it got moved to a back burner when it turned out to be more complicated than they originally thought due to the change in the angle of the steps as you get near the concourse level.

What I believe "rails" may be referring to is putting handrails on the steps from the concourse into the seats. I know they investigated doing that at Coors a few years ago. What I was told at that time was it got moved to a back burner when it turned out to be more complicated than they originally thought due to the change in the angle of the steps as you get near the concourse level.

Thats what I thought to. Gripable hand railing is required now in most building codes along stairs for safety and ADA reasons.

The new sections of the stadium have it.

TJQQDWDKWAXBNOP.20150729175400.jpg
about-section-byronwhite.jpg
UEOMZVESVWIPITQ.20150729172658.jpg

So if they open a permit somewhere on the existing bowl that modifies enough of a percentage of the bowl they may be required to bring the whole thing up to standard. Mostly, its just a lot of custom welding and some dudes with a drill and some redheads or some other bolt install them.

Thats what I thought to. Gripable hand railing is required now in most building codes along stairs for safety and ADA reasons.

TJQQDWDKWAXBNOP.20150729175400.jpg
about-section-byronwhite.jpg
UEOMZVESVWIPITQ.20150729172658.jpg

So if they open a permit somewhere on the existing bowl that modifies enough of a percentage of the bowl they may be required to bring the whole thing up to standard. Mostly, its just a lot of custom welding and some dudes with a drill and some redheads or some other bolt install them.

Custom welding = $$$
Otherwise it is just a lot of time and hassle.

Scary seeing the really old folks, older than I, trying to walk down the stairs during/after games. Falling could be a very bad deal for them. My fellow Buff coworker and architect believes they'd have to widen the aisles to install railings.

Scary seeing the really old folks, older than I, trying to walk down the stairs during/after games. Falling could be a very bad deal for them. My fellow Buff coworker and architect believes they'd have to widen the aisles to install railings.

Its a functionally obsolete structure in a lot of ways. But thats what makes it cool

That is why my parents had to give up their basketball season tickets. There is no way my mom could make it down the stairs without railings anymore. She is still in good health but the possibility of falling was too worrisome.

I would have given him an A, but I saw him not wash his hands after using the urinal at halftime of the CU vs. UCONN game in Des Moines, and for some reason it still bothers me to this day.

Back