What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Grade the 2016 Recruiting Class

What is the grade of this class

• A

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • B

Votes: 92 51.4%
  • C

Votes: 76 42.5%
  • D

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Now that we have wrapped up the 2016 class, let's hear how everyone graded the coaches' efforts.

I'd give it a C+. It looked like a D until they hired Chev. JMFL and Tumpkin were carrying the rest of the staff for most of the year. Klayton and Clark seemed to thrive off of their vibe and when Chev came in, he just energized everyone. His confidence and love of CU upped our recruiting game.
As a salesman, I love how he is giving out props to the coach who got that recruit to sign. I've seen twice today for Bish and I think Huntley where he said congrats Klayton/ Tumpkin for getting their guy.

I think this will be a recruiting class that ends up as a B or better down the road. They got some playmakers and impressive skill guys this cycle and I think the OL grey shirts will end up being steals. There isn't a huge need for Immediate starters so the true test will be in 2-3 years for this class.

Go Buffs!

This looks like it is the best recruiting class we have had in a while (Though if a certain former Boise State RB could have just qualified last year could have been just as good). I am really enjoying Chiv's ability to market recruiting and make the kids feel special and JMFL is just awesome. The new facilities started to show their worth...but then this class appears like it is ranked dead last in the conference...and really the only other school all that close is Washington State. Last place only deserves one grade...and it isn't a good one. But I have to admit despite that I am happy and the freaking Kool-aid man just broke through the wall...
I am not going to focus on the fact that every national championship team in the last ten years has had at least two top ten recruiting classes in the four years prior to winning it all. Nope...I am just going to sit here and enjoy this kool-aid
latest

I like that were taking chances on non-choir boys. I have no idea what they did but we probably landed two starters who were booted from their prior program (Lewis and Winfree)

C
Love the way we closed. Hopefully we can continue to recruit with that sense of urgency for an entire year. Not happy with the OL recruiting because I see too many reaches again this year. Happy with the Juco and grad transfers we got. I believe 3 out of the 4 have played P5 football at a high level and should be able to make an instant impact.

It's MMs best class to date IMO but we need to see all the coaches recruiting at a high level in future. Hopefully this gets addressed at some point.

Went with a C

Massive improvement from about a month ago which was a solid F. I think buffnut is correct in that Mac may have saved his job with the Chev hire. Webb + Winfree + Lewis gives us for sure 3 legit starters next year.

Excited about the future too. Unfortunately we have Bernardi and Jeffcoat on staff still, but this staff might actually be able to recruit with our peers. Hoping the era of reaches and unnecessary early takes is long gone.
I'm hoping that DC saw how Jeffcoat and Bernardi really recruited and will talk it over with MM. Either light a fire under them or help Mac see that they are a detriment. I guess we will see how the DL and OL perform this year. If they are not markedly better.....Slider and I will be bitching together about it. If they are markedly better then we are bowling and both of us will be happy.

Actually cu is last again on rivals.
we are essentially tied with OSU, AZ, UTAH, and WAZZU for */RR avg. Rivals only uses top 20 in a class for score, so smaller classes are penalized, as the lowest rated then count. I'd consider this class a C+. While still not enough higher rated 3*, and not enough 4* as we want, much better than years past. More kids with legit P5 offers.

We still struggle to land higher rated OL and DL/DT guys, need to turn that around for 2017 class.

The way team recruiting rankings are calculated, you're penalized for signing a small class. It really should be the opposite, because if you sign a small class it means you haven't had much attrition. Not much separating No. 7-12 in the Pac-12 in terms of the quality of signees IMO.
Perhaps. But I was looking at average stars.

Either way, if C is average, I'd contend that we came in below average for the conference. Perhaps I'm grading too hard, but it's hard for me to not be in show me mode at this point and I'm not really up for giving the benefit of the doubt after 10+ long years.

Last edited:
To me it's all about whether I'm content with the class, and I'm pretty content with the class, I hope this staff will however raise the bar on what I'm content with in the future. I think grabbing grayshirts on the OL was actually a good move after striking out on guys who could make an immediate impact. You could either grab a higher rated decent OL that won't contribute for 3 years but will take up a scholarship when you have a very limited amount or you can use those spots for someone who can contribute immediately in a crucial year at other positions and bet on some grayshirt guys (which may backfire and it's all about whether they are better than potential 2017 OL recruits but that's more of a 2017 concern for me).

I'm also really high on Ento and I'm higher than most on Rakestraw, I think Ento will surprise some people this season but we'll see. At the end of the day, this class for me was all about whether I thought it could get us over the hump next season, and I think it can with guys like Webb, Winfree, Ento, Huntley, Julmisse, Bisharat, etc. and I see some really nice pieces for the future in guys like Blackmon, Udoffia, Baham, Jones, etc. I mean this class should/will be judged years from now anyways but as long as I think it comes down to coaching then I can be content with a class. But some people don't want to buy into "just needing to get over the hump" narrative and that's fine.

Last edited:
I think this goes beyond the traditional "fix it in 4" model.

The more failure we have to look back on the more perspective we can have on it and the more convinced I become that one of the few things Hawkins was right about was that we were a program burned to the ground. We had as close to nothing to build on as any program I've heard of. The only thing we had was a faint memory of greatness before the kids coming out now were born.

If we had hired a Saban type instead of Hawkins maybe he could have fixed it, maybe. I believe in the power of a great coach now more than ever and maybe a Saban type could have been expected to fix our program in 4 years but it doesn't matter cause we didn't do that. We hired an Embree. We didn't want to pay for a Saban, a guy like that would have a cultural issue in Boulder and we didn't have anything to draw that type of coach because not only were our facilities crap we didn't have much interest in making them better.

So things got worse. Great kids with all the heart in the world but missing some (though not all) of the tangibles went under-coached and gave us lack-luster results. So we fired Embree. At that point maybe we could have backed up the truck and hired a Saban...maybe. And maybe he could have been held to the "fix it in 4" ethos but again, it doesn't matter.

We hired a coach althat we believe is a cultural fit, will create good men and can get more out of the players we have.

I personally think he can create a staff and a team that can consistently get us to a bowl game but can we hold him to the Fitin4 ideal? I don't think so. The hole was deeper than that and we didn't hire that caliber of guy. We needed a new AD, we needed facilities, we needed administrative support, we needed community support, recruiting and most of all wins. I think we've got almost all of that now but the wins and this class can help put that in place.

How can you hold a guy to a 4 year plan when the facilities he needs to even start competing take 2 of those years?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a MM apologist. He has to show progress. And I think he did that with the staff changes he made and the results of today. We'll see if I'm right.

The more failure we have to look back on the more perspective we can have on it and the more convinced I become that one of the few things Hawkins was right about was that we were a program burned to the ground. We had as close to nothing to build on as any program I've heard of. The only thing we had was a faint memory of greatness before the kids coming out now were born.

If we had hired a Saban type instead of Hawkins maybe he could have fixed it, maybe. I believe in the power of a great coach now more than ever and maybe a Saban type could have been expected to fix our program in 4 years but it doesn't matter cause we didn't do that. We hired an Embree. We didn't want to pay for a Saban, a guy like that would have a cultural issue in Boulder and we didn't have anything to draw that type of coach because not only were our facilities crap we didn't have much interest in making them better.

So things got worse. Great kids with all the heart in the world but missing some (though not all) of the tangibles went under-coached and gave us lack-luster results. So we fired Embree. At that point maybe we could have backed up the truck and hired a Saban...maybe. And maybe he could have been held to the "fix it in 4" ethos but again, it doesn't matter.

We hired a coach althat we believe is a cultural fit, will create good men and can get more out of the players we have.

I personally think he can create a staff and a team that can consistently get us to a bowl game but can we hold him to the Fitin4 ideal? I don't think so. The hole was deeper than that and we didn't hire that caliber of guy. We needed a new AD, we needed facilities, we needed administrative support, we needed community support, recruiting and most of all wins. I think we've got almost all of that now but the wins and this class can help put that in place.

How can you hold a guy to a 4 year plan when the facilities he needs to even start competing take 2 of those years?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a MM apologist. He has to show progress. And I think he did that with the staff changes he made and the results of today. We'll see if I'm right.

Last 3 coaches said it was burned to the ground. Fix it. Bowl game in 2016 period.

I'm not qualified.

However I think the class was C give my the final national ranking. But. It's supposedly the best class in years so I have to give an A for renewed effort. So it's a B

B-

Great improvement over the past and addressed many areas with a smaller class. Getting Beau, Juwann, and Webb (yes I am throwing that him in as well) pushed it over the top. Closed well and showed the ability to go toe to toe with some of the big programs.

The problem with your line of thought is that if we fall flat in 2016, it becomes pretty hard to argue more time for MacIntyre is going to put us over the hump. We have a large senior class, including our potential starting QB in Davis Webb. The rebuild argument only works so long in the face of few wins. It would basically be three years in a row where the narrative is, "We are really close," except this time there would be some pretty big holes to fill.

D+

We're still at or near the bottom of the conference, though the gap between us and the middle of the conference is narrowing somewhat.

Webb is a solid pickup for a team that needs a qb and desperately need to make a bowl game this year, but since we only get him for one year he doesn't raise the grade for me as much as a stud freshman qb recruit would have.

Better than previous classes, certainly, but we should expect better classes going forward.

The problem with your line of thought is that if we fall flat in 2016, it becomes pretty hard to argue more time for MacIntyre is going to put us over the hump. We have a large senior class, including our potential starting QB in Davis Webb. The rebuild argument only works so long in the face of few wins. It would basically be three years in a row where the narrative is, "We are really close," except this time there would be some pretty big holes to fill.
you're right in that there has to be a limit to the rope a coach is given.

I give it a C. Only thing keeping it from being a D is landing Beau. Coming in last and the conference won't cut it. Repeatedly losing out to the top in state prospects is going to be the doom of this regime as it was others. How can we expect to get elite level prospects to come to Colorado when we can't even convince our own talent to stay. The fact that we've lost as many as we have to Nebraska over the last few years is an absolute joke.

I give it a C. Only thing keeping it from being a D is landing Beau. Coming in last and the conference won't cut it. Repeatedly losing out to the top in state prospects is going to be the doom of this regime as it was others. How can we expect to get elite level prospects to come to Colorado when we can't even convince our own talent to stay. The fact that we've lost as many as we have to Nebraska over the last few years is an absolute joke.
Absolutely go after in-state talent. Ones that are P5 talent. This year, Carlos was hell bent leaving CO and fell for Harbaugh's speel. Jojo was going to NU no matter what. friends with the kid who committed last year (lee?) who's dad hates CU. In-state recruiting is not the death nell for CU. Who else was worth it? Getting a strong foot hold in TX is. Now it looks like GA and FL can be added.

Our base needs to be built with a lot fewer 2's. They can't make up a third of a class.

I gave it a B. Loved the strong close. Can't wait to see what Chev can do with a full year to recruit.

Why do the Pagano's hate CU? I've never heard that before and attended Fairview.

Back