What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Greatest CU Football Player

When you consider accomplishments both in college and the NFL it's hard to argue against Alfred Williams bring the greatest player in CU history.

I'm not in to arguing either, but there is difference between talent and greatness as well. Laviska is an incredible player, very happy to have him on team.

Viska can play every position on the field except on the line and probably still be dominant. I think if we had him for a full 3-4 years most would agree. This dude is a freak of nature. Complete package as a football player. All those other players had all time great teams around them as well.

Viska can play every position on the field except on the line and probably still be dominant. I think if we had him for a full 3-4 years most would agree. This dude is a freak of nature. Complete package as a football player. All those other players had all time great teams around them as well.
Agree completely, but I glanced over Hagan's leadership, it takes a special dude to pull and lead a lot of talented guys around him as well.

Last edited:
In the argument for greatest player is Whizzer White:
Runner up for the Heisman
Consensus all American
1st round NFL draft
Led the league in rushing two times, one was his rookie year.
2 time first team all - pro, 1 second team.

The list of greatest CU alumni begins and ends with Byron White, because in addition to the above he:
Was a Rhodes scholar
Earned a silver star while searving in the navy in ww2
Deputy US Attorney General
US Supreme Court Justice

Salaam. Still remember seeing him go for 317 against Texas in 1994 in person. That whole '94 team was special in fact. Too bad the CFP wasn't around back then-wed have beaten Nebraska for a national title!

Salaam. Still remember seeing him go for 317 against Texas in 1994 in person. That whole '94 team was special in fact. Too bad the CFP wasn't around back then-wed have beaten Nebraska for a national title!

Uzelac threw away a national title against nebraska by not throwing down the field when nebraska had 8 guys in the box all day.

Because I think there’s more to it than one seasons statistics. Salaam may have the best single season performance by any Buff, but is/was he the best player in CU history? Highly debatable
He brought the iron. That's enough for me.

The Heisman sort of seals the deal, why is this even a thing?
Obviously, not everyone agrees with you. Salaam is up there and can easily see why someone would have him there. In all seriousness, it’s probably Hagan as he just won and was unreal in the option. I just wanted to throw Viskas name out there

The love for the elite QBs and RBs in CU history is understood. For my money, there haven’t been many Buffs more dominant than Andre Gurode. Dude blew open gaping holes up the middle against the nation’s best defensive lines. Interior offensive linemen aren’t usually the heroes we envision. And maybe it was me watching 12 hours of Sports Center highlights of 62-36... but man, he was truly incredible.

The love for the elite QBs and RBs in CU history is understood. For my money, there haven’t been many Buffs more dominant than Andre Gurode. Dude blew open gaping holes up the middle against the nation’s best defensive lines. Interior offensive linemen aren’t usually the heroes we envision. And maybe it was me watching 12 hours of Sports Center highlights of 62-36... but man, he was truly incredible.
Either him or Chris Naeole were the best lineman to ever wear black and gold.

Back