What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Greeting Colorado

So you're saying all of the ladies are cows? I thought this was the Pac-12 not the B1G...

Nah, that is just the old joke since the dawn of time around there. WSU has good looking girls as we are one of the big communitcations schools and they all want to be on TV and stuff like that.

The town is down in valley by the river and the rest of the city and campus is built on 3 hills. College Hill(campus), Military Hill(residential) and Sunnyside(residential). It is a damn hike to anywhere on the other side of campus when you leave downtown.

When you guys come here for the first time you will be shocked a BCS school is in the place. It truely in the middle of no where, but that is what makes it such a special place to go to school. That is view from looking west from the top of campus. That scenery does not change for nearly 150 miles as no one lives between where you turn off of I-90 at the Columbia River to the two lane HWY to Pullman. Pullman has about 7000 non-student residents, the next town Colfax has 2800 and you do not go through another town with more than 200 people in it for almost 120 miles.

ar127328539046496.JPG

Nah, that is just the old joke since the dawn of time around there. WSU has good looking girls as we are one of the big communitcations schools and they all want to be on TV and stuff like that.

The town is down in valley by the river and the rest of the city and campus is built on 3 hills. College Hill(campus), Military Hill(residential) and Sunnyside(residential). It is a damn hike to anywhere on the other side of campus when you leave downtown.

When you guys come here for the first time you will be shocked a BCS school is in the place. It truely in the middle of no where, but that is what makes it such a special place to go to school. That is view from looking west from the top of campus. That scenery does not change for nearly 150 miles as no one lives between where you turn off of I-90 at the Columbia River to the two lane HWY to Pullman. Pullman has about 7000 non-student residents, the next town Colfax has 2800 and you do not go through another town with more than 200 people in it for almost 120 miles.

ar127328539046496.JPG

So I've heard. I have to admit, I'm intrigued by seeing just how far off the beaten path it is. I definitely want to make the trek to Pullman

I think of this game as being like the CU/Baylor game in 06 that went to OT, hopefully with a better outcome for CU.

ar127328539046496.JPG

Ever hear of a little town called Waco?
Waco-Fire.jpg

Maybe Manhattan, KS?
462081.png

Lubbock?
IMG_0749.jpg

Stillwater?
savethesecars-stillwaterOklahoma.jpg

How about Aimes?
flooding-ames-iowa.jpg

A) Pullman is the ONLY middle-of-nowhere school in the Pac-12, however, B) It's actually a beautiful place.

Last edited:
When you guys come here for the first time you will be shocked a BCS school is in the place. It truely in the middle of no where, but that is what makes it such a special place to go to school.
ar127328539046496.JPG

I've actually been to Pullman, and it is a very nice place. My take from spending about an hour there was that it was small, but that made everything feel kind of close and cozy. And it truly is out in the middle of nowhere. Hope you can make it to Boulder the next time the Coogs visit and we can share our little slice of heaven with you.

I have a calf fetish (lower leg not bovine). That is all.

It will probably be quite a few years before we choose WSU as our away game destination, so I'm not sure Ruggedvision asking a bunch of chicks to show me their legs will be all that possible.

It will probably be quite a few years before we choose WSU as our away game destination, so I'm not sure Ruggedvision asking a bunch of chicks to show me their legs will be all that possible.
Should make it better.

A) Pullman is the ONLY middle-of-nowhere school in the Pac-12, however, B) It's actually a beautiful place.

Left out Corvallis....

Pullman is pretty out of the way - we drive past it on our way to the Idaho cabin. Have stayed there a couple of times, was pretty nice - of course this opinion comes from a dog tired dad of 3 boys when they were 6, 6, and 2 a few years back and a skittish dog on our way to Idaho for Christmas. Pullman provided a nice respite from the craziness of the drive.

As of last night Tuel was still just throwing as he has done for the past week or so. We would be 3-0 if we had him, I know we would. He is that godd in the zone read offense. He is not a burner, but fast enough to make you stay home. SDSU just came after our new center with blitzes in 4th quarter and Lobestahl is not mobile enough to keep them honest. I am fairly sure he will play against UCLA in two weeks however.

Yep WSU is full spread team and will run the hurry up no huddle. 4 and 5 wide most of the time, with some TE and FB mixed in.

Defense is very young, but very very fast. We were so slow when Wulff showed up our guys could have not caught players without motorcycles. Still questoinable against the run. We got absolutely no pass rush against SDSU which I still cannot figure out.

Here are the starters
DE JR 6 4 258
DT RS Frosh 6 1 292
DT RS Junior 6 3 287
DE RS Junior 6 5 260

They will play 10 to 11 defensive lineman however and only 1 is a senior.

OLB SR 6 1 231(wow fast)
MLB So 6 2 227(google CJ Mizell and wonder see how we got him, stud. #4 LB in country in 2009 and did not get into Florida State)
OLB So 6 4 236

The 3 LB never come out of the game, they are our best group on the defense by far.

CB so 5 9 175
FS so 6 1 190
SS jr 6 0 199
CB so 5 11 195

They will play about 6-7 kids in the secondary as well.

That 2003 team was so good, but then the bottom dropped out in 2 years and we are still digging out.

Wish I could go, but have used my passes for a while with the first 3 games.

We know about holes everywhere, it just sucks. It has taken 4 recruiting classes to get us to were we are now.

You anywhere near the tri-cities?

Left out Corvallis....

Pullman is pretty out of the way - we drive past it on our way to the Idaho cabin. Have stayed there a couple of times, was pretty nice - of course this opinion comes from a dog tired dad of 3 boys when they were 6, 6, and 2 a few years back and a skittish dog on our way to Idaho for Christmas. Pullman provided a nice respite from the craziness of the drive.

I wouldn't term Corvallis in the middle of nowhere. It's small-town USA, sure, but it's reasonably close to both Salem and Eugene. I've never gotten a really bad feel from Corvallis, but where I grew up in small-town Oregon made Corvallis feel like the big city, so maybe my perspective is off-base.

Too bad, I was hoping for a picture of a broken nose.

Pullman is about 1 1/2 hour drive from Spokane but really Spokane is the only city of any size in Eastern WA. It is about 2 hour from Tri-cities for the person who asked. Great place, and when you guys visit I think you will find the game day experience pretty cool. The fans are mostly cool if you are not wearing purple (although there are always those few....). Most of us are ready, or past ready to see WSU turn the corner. We hope this is the year, and I think our O will keep us in most games. We are a bit better on D this year, but our D was just about last in D1 last season. The parts are there, but they do not always play discipliuned enough to make stops. Wilson and Karstetter and Barton have all shown themselves to be solid WR's as well as Simone, Williams, Eady, and Myers, etc have shown they can come in and make plays as well. Galvin is a speedy back and so is Mason (although I have not seen him recently), Mitz and Williams are more of our power running guys. OL can be solid with Roxas in , but without him it is weak up the middle. I am hoping he plays this week, but I think he is still listed as doubtful. Any other questios, let us know..

Pullman is about 1 1/2 hour drive from Spokane but really Spokane is the only city of any size in Eastern WA. It is about 2 hour from Tri-cities for the person who asked. Great place, and when you guys visit I think you will find the game day experience pretty cool. The fans are mostly cool if you are not wearing purple (although there are always those few....). Most of us are ready, or past ready to see WSU turn the corner. We hope this is the year, and I think our O will keep us in most games. We are a bit better on D this year, but our D was just about last in D1 last season. The parts are there, but they do not always play discipliuned enough to make stops. Wilson and Karstetter and Barton have all shown themselves to be solid WR's as well as Simone, Williams, Eady, and Myers, etc have shown they can come in and make plays as well. Galvin is a speedy back and so is Mason (although I have not seen him recently), Mitz and Williams are more of our power running guys. OL can be solid with Roxas in , but without him it is weak up the middle. I am hoping he plays this week, but I think he is still listed as doubtful. Any other questios, let us know..
we have 3 CBs that can play this week. On the whole team. Get ready for happy times.

Ever hear of a little town called Waco?
Waco-Fire.jpg

Maybe Manhattan, KS?
462081.png

Lubbock?
IMG_0749.jpg

Stillwater?
savethesecars-stillwaterOklahoma.jpg

How about Aimes?
flooding-ames-iowa.jpg

I have been to Lubbock as my cousin is a Red Raider and also been to Stillwater, Ok City and Tulsa, also Waco as we played there 3 years ago. Childs play compared to getting to WSU.

Waco population 130,000 and a 90 mile direct link from Dalas Metro plex.

Even Ames(have not been there) is Double the population of Pullman and sits on I-35 the 4 lane HWY from Minnesota to Laredo Tx.

Yes Lubbock is far off the beaten path, but it has a population of 229,000 people, heck is bigger than Spokane. I just jumped on a plane in Seattle changed in Denver and was in Lubbock.

Stillwater is around 50,000, plus just jump on the highway and it is 60 miles from Ok City and 65 miles from Tulsa with a combined population of nearly one million.

When you add the 14 largest cities from the dividing line of Western and Eastern Washington it is only about 790,000 people, take out Spokane and the surrounding areas and it goes down to about 490,000.

Whitman County where Pullman is is one of the largest counties in the state about 2200 square miles and the population is 44,000 people, however WSU students make up 20,000 of that.

There are very few places in College FB that are as tough to get to as WSU.

You either have to fly to Seattle, and connect directly(only about 3 flights a day to Pullman) Fly to Spokane, and drive the last 90 miles on a two lane highway. Fly to Salt Lake City and connect to Lewiston Idaho and drive 50 miles on a two lane highway. Fly to the Pasco Airport after connecting somewhere and drive 140 miles on a two lane hwy, or just plain drive the 300 miles from Seattle or 350 miles from Portland with that majority of both those drives on two lane roads. When the bad weather hits it is sometimes a 9 or 10 hour drive there, you have to be dedicated. Considering how bad we have been it is amzaing that we had almost 30,000 showed up for our last home game.

The majority of our fan base lives 6 or more hours away from WSU and that is a monster comitment. Plus there are so few hotel spaces in town as they have to be booked a year ahead(start calling now if you are coming to Pullman next year) lots of folks just over and back it on game day. There acutally are more folks in the expanisve RV lots by the stadium than in all of the lodging in town.

There is no easy way to get to Pullman. Ask the USC bball team a few years ago. They chartered a small jet to fily direct, circled Pullman for a while in a snowstorm and finally had to go to Spokane and take a 3 hour bus ride in bad weather and got there about 2am.

I have already made the 600 miles round trip from Seattle two weekend in a row and will be doing it again for Stanford on Oct 14th. Monday mornigs are just a bear after that trip.

I saw the Corvlais refrence and it is the same thing. It is a small town, but just head south on I-5, turn right and you drive into Corvalis in about 6 minutes.

Last edited:
I have been to Lubbock as my cousin is a Red Raider and also been to Stillwater, Ok City and Tulsa, also Waco as we played there 3 years ago. Childs play compared to getting to WSU.

Waco population 130,000 and a 90 mile direct link from Dalas Metro plex.

Even Ames(have not been there) is Double the population of Pullman and sits on I-35 the 4 lane HWY from Minnesota to Laredo Tx.

Yes Lubbock is far off the beaten path, but it has a population of 229,000 people, heck is bigger than Spokane. I just jumped on a plane in Seattle changed in Denver and was in Lubbock.

Stillwater is around 50,000, plus just jump on the highway and it is 60 miles from Ok City and 65 miles from Tulsa with a combined population of nearly one million.

When you add the 14 largest cities from the dividing line of Western and Eastern Washington it is only about 790,000 people, take out Spokane and the surrounding areas and it goes down to about 490,000.

Whitman County where Pullman is is one of the largest counties in the state about 2200 square miles and the population is 44,000 people, however WSU students make up 20,000 of that.

There are very few places in College FB that are as tough to get to as WSU.

You either have to fly to Seattle, and connect directly(only about 3 flights a day to Pullman) Fly to Spokane, and drive the last 90 miles on a two lane highway. Fly to Salt Lake City and connect to Lewiston Idaho and drive 50 miles on a two lane highway. Fly to the Pasco Airport after connecting somewhere and drive 140 miles on a two lane hwy, or just plain drive the 300 miles from Seattle or 350 miles from Portland with that majority of both those drives on two lane roads. When the bad weather hits it is sometimes a 9 or 10 hour drive there, you have to be dedicated. Considering how bad we have been it is amzaing that we had almost 30,000 showed up for our last home game.

The majority of our fan base lives 6 or more hours away from WSU and that is a monster comitment. Plus there are so few hotel spaces in town as they have to be booked a year ahead(start calling now if you are coming to Pullman next year) lots of folks just over and back it on game day. There acutally are more folks in the expanisve RV lots by the stadium than in all of the lodging in town.

There is no easy way to get to Pullman. Ask the USC bball team a few years ago. They chartered a small jet to fily direct, circled Pullman for a while in a snowstorm and finally had to go to Spokane and take a 3 hour bus ride in bad weather and got there about 2am.

I have already made the 600 miles round trip from Seattle two weekend in a row and will be doing it again for Stanford on Oct 14th. Monday mornigs are just a bear after that trip.

I saw the Corvlais refrence and it is the same thing. It is a small town, but just head south on I-5, turn right and you drive into Corvalis in about 6 minutes.

-Even Manhattan, KS is only a 20-30 minute drive off of I-70 (granted that's I-70 in an extremely rural area of KS)
-Blacksburg, VA is probably the most off the beaten path college town in the East, but again, it's not far from I-81 (granted that's I-81 in an extremely rural area of VA). Clemson is in the middle of nowhere as well.
-Starkville, Mississippi is another strong candidate, but yes, I think Wazzu takes the cake.

-Even Manhattan, KS is only a 20-30 minute drive off of I-70 (granted that's I-70 in an extremely rural area of KS)
-Blacksburg, VA is probably the most off the beaten path college town in the East, but again, it's not far from I-81 (granted that's I-81 in an extremely rural area of VA). Clemson is in the middle of nowhere as well.
-Starkville, Mississippi is another strong candidate, but yes, I think Wazzu takes the cake.

If the drive to Pullman was not so beatiful it would really suck. You go from Evergreen trees, to semi arid dessert, to flat plateau farm land, and finish with the rolling hillis of the Palouse all in 300 miles.

This photo pretty much sums it up. If the Grand Rhone aquifer was not under Pullman and the surrounding wheat fields it would be a Combine Storage Facility at the instersection of 3 small rivers.
moscow.jpg

Last edited:

State College, PA? Never been but I've heard it's in the middle of nowhere.

State College, PA? Never been but I've heard it's in the middle of nowhere.

True, that one slipped my mind. I saw a game there in '02, and coming from VA about the last 100-150 miles where on some pretty back roads. Know PSU is a huge school, but it's damn impressive that they get 108,000 there considering it's nowhere near Philly or Pittsburgh.

So cougfan, say I was planning on roadtripping it next year. What are the highlights, What fun things should I make sure to catch? What other things are nearby that could be combined in a long weekend?

Back