What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Greg Brown did well today

He balanced his risks with "character" guys who weren't talented enough for this level but would balance out the team GPA and get us good press with community service efforts. It's almost like we had two teams in the same locker room.
When I heard, for the first time, CJ claim that Hawkins had decided on a policy of not recruiting kids from single parent families I was just shocked. If true, it is one of the most absurd policies ever. Also, I'm pretty sure that we have an extremely restrictive "partial qualifier" policy.

When I heard, for the first time, CJ claim that Hawkins had decided on a policy of not recruiting kids from single parent families I was just shocked. If true, it is one of the most absurd policies ever. Also, I'm pretty sure that we have an extremely restrictive "partial qualifier" policy.

Big 12 didn't allow them. Pac-12 allows one per year. Mac lived on them, but that was the old Big 8 days.

When I heard, for the first time, CJ claim that Hawkins had decided on a policy of not recruiting kids from single parent families I was just shocked.

I imagine Darrell Scott was pretty shocked too...

I imagine Darrell Scott was pretty shocked too...
I actually thought about that. I think DH, if he did have such a policy, instituted it the last couple of years of his tenure. Maybe Scott was an influence. More likely it was a "checklist item" and just one evaluation factor.

Last edited:

Big 12 didn't allow them. Pac-12 allows one per year. Mac lived on them, but that was the old Big 8 days.

So partial qualifiers are different from having softer admission standards for football players, right? Is there any conference policy regrading softer admission standards for football players, or is that strictly up to each school? I'm thinking it's the latter....

Listening to the postgame interviews the defensive players repeatly complimented Coach Brown, they love playing for him and respect him greatly.

We knew when he was hired that he wasn't going to be a recruiting dynamo, never has been. That's just his personality. I think he can help when the kids get here for their OVs and he should be a guy who works well with the HS coaches but if you really want a kid then GB probably shouldn't be your lead recruiter.

Let's see what he does over the next year or two in terms of developing individual players and the defense as a whole. I think he will do well in those areas, if not then evaluate him and take action but give him a reasonable chance to prove himself. Same applies with all of the coaches.

This. Brown was never hired to recruit and the redundant posters who claim he's responsible for the DB's lack of talent are completely wrong. Every staff has coaches who are there for their football knowledge, not their recruiting prowess. Hard to believe apparantly for some but true. He's one of the most respected coaches in football circles where intelligence overcomes emotion and cluelessness. Just get him some athleticism from other CU coaches and watch him shine. Just like Cabral shined before, Brown will do it again for us. The players love him and KNOW he's a talent and can get them to the "show.".

So partial qualifiers are different from having softer admission standards for football players, right? Is there any conference policy regrading softer admission standards for football players, or is that strictly up to each school? I'm thinking it's the latter....

All the conference requires is that the player is a full qualifier by the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Policies of individual schools will vary. CU's is not one of the more stringent policies.

Last year we carried a coach on the staff who was a good recruiter but a bad coach (Hagan). Why all the hubub that we have a coach who is a good coach but not a good recruiter? Ideally you'd like to have coaches who can do both but I think lots of teams make trade offs in coaching skill vs recruiting in order to get the skill sets they need on the staff.

Last edited:
Last year we carried a coach on the staff who was a good recruiter but a bad coach (Hagan). Why all the hubub that we have a coach who is a good coach but not a good recruiter? Ideally you'd like to have coaches who can do both but I think lots of team make trade offs in coaching skill vs recruiting in order to get the skill sets they need on the staff.

Not sure he was that great a recruiter....Darrell, ok. But what about his own kid, Fauria, etc?

All the conference requires is that the player is a full qualifier by the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Policies of individual schools will vary. CU's is not one of the more stringent policies.
I think our definitions of "partial qualifier" are different. I'm talking about CU's standard. A combination of HS GPA and SAT/ACT score. There are many kids that meet NCAA requirements that can't get into CU. My understanding is that CU does have one of the more stringent policies.

Last edited:
i bet brown is sleeping well tonight, having been complimented by jimmy.

I think our definitions of "partial qualifier" are different. I'm talking about CU's standard. A combination of HS GPA and SAT/ACT score. There are many kids that meet NCAA requirements that can't get into CU. My understanding is that CU does have one of the more stringent policies.

The whole Partial Qualifier thing disappeared over a decade ago. The problem has been the admissions department - supposedly it is being addressed.

The combination of HS GPA in core courses with SAT/ACT score is what the NCAA Clearinghouse looks at.

CU's standard for student athletes is higher than the NCAA minimum. However, Embree is allowed to take some risks each recruiting cycle. He seems happy with where it's at now. No more than 20% of the signees are supposed to fall below the minimum standard for athletes. Embree can take a risk on as many as 1/5 of his recruits on guys that Admissions doesn't think are likely to succeed with CU coursework.

Do you guys think it should be higher than that?

Considering the rising APR requirements, I'm afraid it should be lower.

Admissions for athletes is a tough question for CU. We aren't talking about Harvard law or Mines engineering academics but at the same time unlike some of the schools we recruit against CU doesn't have the "freebee" majors like "Recreation Sciences," or "General Communications." Not only do the coaches have to worry about getting a kid in but also they have to worry about if the kid will and can do the work to be successfull at CU.

Some kids may be marginal in terms of admissions but not be a risk academically. Some of those kids are the ones who didn't bother with school the first couple years of high school and then kicked it into gear their last year or two. On the other hand you get kids who were bright enough to get good grades in high school and do well on a standardized test but have never had to or been willing to work hard enough to maintain a college work load, even with the academic assistance provided to scholarship athletes.

It will be interesting to see how Embree and staff manage this part of the program. Mac brought in a lot of high risk guys but motivated a lot of them to do well enough that it wasn't a huge problem. Barnett never talked much about it but it seems that he avoided a lot of higher risk kids. Hawkins talked a great game but his results in the classroom stunk. I think mostly not for lack of academic ability but for lack of dicipline.

Back