What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Greg Brown to Alabama - NO MISPRINT

this is the first step in showing how stupid the majority of CU fans and Bohn are about college football. Brown was ragged on relentlessly by our dumb ass fan base, Now, he gets to coach DB's in the best program in America. He easily could have been a very good coordinator at CU with more talent and experience. But, no - our fan base succeeded in running him off, along with many other good coaches. My guess is that the two bozos who will replace him from SJSU added together might know 50% as much about coaching DB's as Brown does.

What a incredibly stupid post. You should be ashamed.

Brown as a DB coach - great
Brown as a DC - awful

I've said it about 100 times: we had a coaching staff of excellent position coaches the last 2 seasons. What we didn't have was a head coach or coordinators.

this is the first step in showing how stupid the majority of CU fans and Bohn are about college football. Brown was ragged on relentlessly by our dumb ass fan base, Now, he gets to coach DB's in the best program in America. He easily could have been a very good coordinator at CU with more talent and experience. But, no - our fan base succeeded in running him off, along with many other good coaches. My guess is that the two bozos who will replace him from SJSU added together might know 50% as much about coaching DB's as Brown does.

You realize he was going to be fired by Embree... right?

I must have missed all the DC job offers he got before accepting this job.

Alabama may very well be a place where Brown can learn to be a coordinator. He will have a HC who has proven his ability to manage a program and run a team. Now that Brown has seen the job from the inside he may be able to learn how a coordinator works in a winning program.

Any one of the group of Brown, EB, or Embree may have had a better chance to succeed had they had people around them they could turn to for help. As it was all of them were new to the responsibilties and none of them could be of assistance to the others. As a result they all utterly failed together.

You realize he was going to be fired by Embree... right?

I must have missed all the DC job offers he got before accepting this job.

Not only was Embree firing Brown, he had actually considered firing him after 2011.

But let's blame Bohn and the fans for not recognizing Brown's ability. rialto's got an axe to grind and the facts really aren't relevant. He knows what he knows and the exact truths about these things are beside the point. :smile2:

Right cause Saban has nothing to do with helping coach up the dbacks on his teams. :rolling_eyes:

Catch up and pay attention. Saban could hire Rihanna as a Dbacks coach and they still would have a top defense.

BTW Greg Brown's defense gave up 46 points a game but you calling me dumb? :lol: Have fun getting Saban's donuts in the morning Brown.

When Greg Brown was the secondary coach for McCartney at CU, he coached TWO Thorpe award winners in Deon Figures and Chris Hudson. CU led the nation in pass defense in 1992. Is he suddenly a terrible secondary coach now??? Nick Saban does not think so. since he hired him to coach the secondary in the consistently best program and defense in America. Maybe the problem this year was 2-3 freshman starting every game in the secondary?

CU fans amaze me with their ignorance.

When Greg Brown was the secondary coach for McCartney at CU, he coached TWO Thorpe award winners in Deon Figures and Chris Hudson. CU led the nation in pass defense in 1992. Is he suddenly a terrible secondary coach now??? Nick Saban does not think so. since he hired him to coach the secondary in the consistently best program and defense in America. Maybe the problem this year was 2-3 freshman starting every game in the secondary?

Do you realize how stupid you sound right now?

You seriously want to argue that Greg Brown was doing a good job? Apparently your boy Jon Embree disagreed as he was going to fire him if he stuck around..

Nobody thinks Greg Brown is a bad DB coach. He's quite good. He is, however, not a good DC. How you try to defend Greg Brown after the last two years is beyond me. I'm not sure he wasn't the statistically worst DC of all time. We were recording setting bad under his watch. How do you defend that based on what he did 20 years ago?

i would agree if our freshman db's had shown ANY improvement from game to game... they stunk it up worse game by game.. unless you mean playing 15 yards off a rec as improvement

i would agree if our freshman db's had shown ANY improvement from game to game... they stunk it up worse game by game.. unless you mean playing 15 yards off a rec as improvement

A lack of talent and bad coaching leadership makes it hard to evaluate anyone on that team.

I'm sorry, did I miss the post where "CU fans" accused of Coach Brown of being a "terrible secondary coach."

Please reference those accusations and maybe we can have a conversation.

You've clearly made up your mind that CU fans are the torch-wavin' pitchfork havin' Debbils, but you seem to reach that conclusion with no evidence. A little support for your case would go a long way.

see, everyone always lands on their feet, and CU will also...Good for him. Greg will do wonders with the talent they bring in. They will now have Thorpe award winners and have a solid secondary..

Brown seemed to be a better CB coach than S. We had better CB's in recent year under Brown. Polk never really made those strides we were hoping for and Terrel Smith seemed to regress. Hopefully this improves since we have a Safeties only coach in Charles Clark

Alabama may very well be a place where Brown can learn to be a coordinator. He will have a HC who has proven his ability to manage a program and run a team. Now that Brown has seen the job from the inside he may be able to learn how a coordinator works in a winning program.

Any one of the group of Brown, EB, or Embree may have had a better chance to succeed had they had people around them they could turn to for help. As it was all of them were new to the responsibilties and none of them could be of assistance to the others. As a result they all utterly failed together.

You know, of course, that two members of WB's staff were ex-OCs and ex-head coachs TJ Brookhart was OC for Pitt for 3 years, before becoming HC of Akron, leading them to their first MAC championship ever; and Rip Scherer was OC at GaTech, Alabama, and Arizona, before being named HC at James Madison for 4 yrs. then Memphis for 5 yrs.

Seems as if there was plenty of Coordinator/HC experience from which to draw, if you drop your arrogance "and stuff." WB had no excuses and neither did Brown, when you could have simply walked down the hallway for some advice.

Just a tiny bit of difference between being a position coach with Nich Saban leading the program and being a coordinator with Embree failing to lead the program.

Maybe the problem was a staff that couldn't do the job?

You have to admire Rialto's shifting talking points. Can't wait for the next post.

Embree was going to fire both Brown and Cabral. I guess he did not value their expertise as position coaches.

AB poster, "I like deer meat occasionally. I just don't want it for dinner every night."

Rialto, "Everyone on Allbuffs hates Bambi and they are glad his mother was shot and raped, yes you heard me right raped."

You know, of course, that two members of WB's staff were ex-OCs and ex-head coachs TJ Brookhart was OC for Pitt for 3 years, before becoming HC of Akron, leading them to their first MAC championship ever; and Rip Scherer was OC at GaTech, Alabama, and Arizona, before being named HC at James Madison for 4 yrs. then Memphis for 5 yrs.

Seems as if there was plenty of Coordinator/HC experience from which to draw, if you drop your arrogance "and stuff." WB had no excuses and neither did Brown, when you could have simply walked down the hallway for some advice.

I am fully aware of the experience that Brookhardt and Scherer brought to the staff. I question however how much of a position they were in to help. With JE, EB, and GB we had our entire upper leadership as guys who had almost zero experience as coordinators or coaches. It is one thing for a team to have one of these guys new to the responsibility, it is completely another when all of them are new to it.

As I stated earlier I consider GB to be a very good position coach, apparently Nick Saban agrees as did a number of prior employers. At the same time it is hard to argue that as a coordinator he was for whatever reason or reasons a complete failure at CU. The fact that he jumped quickly on the job as a position coach may have something to do with him realizing that he isn't likely to have may coordinator offers coming his way.

Brookhart should have been OC over Bieniemy. Someone else should have handled St's. Some of the ST decisions were downright embarrassing. Kicking to Reggie Dunn, fielding punts in the 5 vs CSU, not finding someone who could actually catch a punt til half way thru the season etc

I'm watching the Utah game right now and late in the 4th BIeniemy called a slow developing run play to Jones on 3rd and 3. Needless to say it got stuffed.

Of course Brown is a good secondary coach, despite the 2012 result. That's not why he was fired.

Brown's secondary never improved in 2012. Not likely it was because he forgot how to coach DB's. But because guys quit listening to him. Embree didn't hide his feelings and the defensive players knew from CSU game onward that Brown was toast. They saw an Embree vs. Brown/Cabral/Tui battle and they did what humans do, they chose their side. Guess what side some of these young kids chose? The guy that was likely to survive (the head coach).

Embree allowed this to effect the players. Anyone with a TV saw him make faces, erupt, etc on the sideline at players and coaches alike. The guy never learned to hide his emotions. Watch the Stanford head coach. The guy is cool as a cucumber.

Great coaches don't promote factions (nor do they let kids onto the fact that they have an issue with an assistant and then expect that assistant to be effective in coaching his position). Greg Brown proved to be an awful DC. He would have been fired by JE. Still a good DB coach, but not a good recruiter. He will prosper at Alabama where he will evaluate kids and then choose which ones he will take. No recruiting required.

Last edited:
Of course Brown is a good secondary coach, despite the 2012 result. That's not why he was fired.

Brown's secondary never improved in 2012. Not likely it was because he forgot how to coach DB's. But because guys quit listening to him. Embree didn't hide his feelings and the defensive players knew from CSU game onward that Brown was toast. They saw an Embree vs. Brown/Cabral/Tui battle and they did what humans do, they chose their side. Guess what side some of these young, black, inner-city kids chose?

Embree allowed this to effect the players. Anyone with a TV saw him make faces, erupt, etc on the sideline at players and coaches alike. The guy never learned to hide his emotions. Watch the Stanford head coach. The guy is cool as a cucumber.

Great coaches don't promote factions. Greg Brown proved to be an awful DC. He would have been fired by JE. Still a good DB coach, but not a good recruiter. He will prosper at Alabama where he will evaluate kids and then choose which ones he will take. No recruiting required.

Actually he will still have to recruit. The difference is he will be recruiting a different type of kid. His recruiting pitch will be "I know that LSU, USC, Notre Dame, etc. all want you but if you come to Bama' you are likely to leave with a ring, and look at the first round draft choices who played for me. If you want first round money Bama is your best bet."

yeah, a monkey could pitch that.

It's a different kind of recruiting. It's kind of like USC pitching QBs or now GT pitching WRs. The issue is that those kids you are going after are getting the full and complete effort of other high profile schools who are also promising them shots at being first round picks.

It's kind of like selling Bentleys instead of Chevy Aveos. You still have to sell but bigger dollars mean your competition is willing to throw more at you.

20 yrs ago. 20 ****ing yrs ago. Using your logic I guess we should hire Bill McCartney as coach.

And why did we have to start 2-3 freshman last yr? Maybe because Greg Brown didn't do diddly poo in recruiting when he was the DB coach for 4 out of the 5 yrs before that. Keep up with the ****ing excuses though.

I believe that Embree had a good coaching staff- I suspect that he was unable to effectively build a culture where people could be successful.

Right cause Saban has nothing to do with helping coach up the dbacks on his teams. :rolling_eyes:

Catch up and pay attention. Saban could hire Rihanna as a Dbacks coach and they still would have a top defense.

BTW Greg Brown's defense gave up 46 points a game but you calling me dumb? :lol: Have fun getting Saban's donuts in the morning Brown.
Rihanna would be one hell of a recruiter

Back