What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Greg Brown to Alabama - NO MISPRINT

Of course Brown is a good secondary coach, despite the 2012 result. That's not why he was fired.

Brown's secondary never improved in 2012. Not likely it was because he forgot how to coach DB's. But because guys quit listening to him. Embree didn't hide his feelings and the defensive players knew from CSU game onward that Brown was toast. They saw an Embree vs. Brown/Cabral/Tui battle and they did what humans do, they chose their side. Guess what side some of these young kids chose? The guy that was likely to survive (the head coach).

Embree allowed this to effect the players. Anyone with a TV saw him make faces, erupt, etc on the sideline at players and coaches alike. The guy never learned to hide his emotions. Watch the Stanford head coach. The guy is cool as a cucumber.

Great coaches don't promote factions (nor do they let kids onto the fact that they have an issue with an assistant and then expect that assistant to be effective in coaching his position). Greg Brown proved to be an awful DC. He would have been fired by JE. Still a good DB coach, but not a good recruiter. He will prosper at Alabama where he will evaluate kids and then choose which ones he will take. No recruiting required.

i agree with this post. it starts at the top, as always. helfrich didn't suddenly learn to coach when he left here. brown didn't suddenly forgot how to coach when he came back here to be on embree's staff.

i predict that if brown does end up at bama, he will do very well there. all the pieces are in place for success--- a great head coach, a supportive administration, a rabid and dedicated booster base, and great recruiting.

i don't understand all the hate for brown in this thread. he wasn't a good dc. that's true. but those couple of decades of proven success mean something.

embree showed his inexperience in some many different ways. ... not controlling his staff was one example.

i agree with this post. it starts at the top, as always. helfrich didn't suddenly learn to coach when he left here. brown didn't suddenly forgot how to coach when he came back here to be on embree's staff.

i predict that if brown does end up at bama, he will do very well there. all the pieces are in place for success--- a great head coach, a supportive administration, a rabid and dedicated booster base, and great recruiting.

i don't understand all the hate for brown in this thread. he wasn't a good dc. that's true. but those couple of decades of proven success mean something.

embree showed his inexperience in some many different ways. ... not controlling his staff was one example.

I do not believe there is much hate for Brown in this thread.

He was a very poor DC and rialto is trying to portray it as Mike Bohn and the fans running him out of town. He was not coming back in any scenario and the fact Bama is hiring him as the DB coach does not change a thing.

That is the secret to recruiting-lie to recruits. That is how you have consistent Top Five Classes.

that, and armored cars full of small, unmarked bills. and people to take tests and attend classes for the players.

i kid. i kid. i have much resentment. i actually think saban is reasonably clean by sec standards. he's got such a machine going, he doesn't have to cheat much. as for what he tells recruits...

That is the secret to recruiting-lie to recruits. That is how you have consistent Top Five Classes.
I think most every program tells the recruit what they want to hear. Everything from you will play as a frosh, to your are the only ______ we are recuiting to our HC coaches your position. I am not singling out Bama, just find it comical in the context of Bama hiring Brownie as DB coach, but a DB recruit says he'll be coached by Saban. Just thought it was funny.

Kirby Smart rumored to the Philadelphia Eagles as DC. Greg Brown to DC for Bama? hahah

Kirby Smart rumored to the Philadelphia Eagles as DC. Greg Brown to DC for Bama? hahah

Can't decide what I'd rather see, Greg Brown as Alabama's DC, or Mark Helfrich as Oregon's HC. Of course as Buffup eluded to, they would both be wildly successful and plunge me into a deeper depression.

Can't decide what I'd rather see, Greg Brown as Alabama's DC, or Mark Helfrich as Oregon's HC. Of course as Buffup eluded to, they would both be wildly successful and plunge me into a deeper depression.

Neither would surprise me much.

Brown was made a DC in a situation where the HC had never been a coordinator before much less a HC, how much guidance and assistance did he have. Now he will be with one of the most successful HCs in the era and surrounded by both player and coaching talent and support.

Same thing with Helfrich as a HC. To start with he won't be lacking talent to work with and he will have some very good assistants to work with. He also had a chance to learn under one of the best HCs in the business instead of working for the Bozo from Boise.

Back