What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Guess the next commit - July 11th edition (Shamar Hamilton Edition)

Ray Lima. I'll go with this monster just for grins. We need to start getting some big guys on the defensive front.

These threads for some reason make me wish there was an early signing period in football like there is in hoops . I wonder how that would change the outlook of our commits this year but also how recruiting might change as a whole . This article makes it seem like only the SEC is holding back the discussion :

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ly-signing-period-vote-gets-delayed-one-year/
The SEC doesn't like it because they like to take lots of commitments early on then dump the lower rated commits closer to signing day as they secure other, higher rated options. Early signing would kill that practice.

The SEC doesn't like it because they like to take lots of commitments early on then dump the lower rated commits closer to signing day as they secure other, higher rated options. Early signing would kill that practice.
The SEC might be the greatest offender, but all big time programs do this. It would change everything for all programs and players for that matter. Imagine an under the radar type kid who has a bunch of G5 offers but hasn't popped at the P5 level yet. He commits and signs with a G5 program early and then kills it his senior year, but has no choice to decommit and go to a P5 program. All this would do is essentially push back the majority of commitments to the final NSD. Obviously, your blue chippers that have their sites set on Alabama or Ohio State would potentially sign early, but the mid-3* kids might wait for a commitable offer from a big program.

There's another side to the opposition. Schools like Stanford don't like the idea of early commits because they want to see fall transcripts for the senior year. They end up parting ways with a good number of committed prospects every December despite prior vetting.

Then there are all the rules issues you'd have to clarify in order to make this fair on both the schools and the recruits. What if the head coach the player signed with in the spring gets fired or leaves for another job? What if it's the coordinator or position coach? What about if the player is involved in an off-field incident? An injury?

Really, the only reason to have early signing is because it would cause schools to be able to host official visits from juniors so that the player didn't have to come on his own dime. The current setup seems unfairly biased to prospects with financial resources to travel, encourages involvement of street agents to get players to unofficial visits, and gives a bigger advantage to schools located in recruiting hotbed geographies.

Why not solve the issue by making it so that players can take 3 official visits during the spring of their junior year and still take 5 as a senior (with both a junior & senior visit to the same school allowed)? Keep signing day the same, but give kids and schools an opportunity to do officials during spring practices, junior days & spring games. Why hasn't this already been done?

What I like about Osling besides his tape, is that every program within hours of him has offered, minus USC and UCLA. The next best thing next to a bunch of p5 offers, is near consensus of the staffs who've likely seen him up close.

What I like about Osling besides his tape, is that every program within hours of him has offered, minus USC and UCLA. The next best thing next to a bunch of p5 offers, is near consensus of the staffs who've likely seen him up close.
A good point. The staff obviously sees something here and I trust their evaluation with DB's.

SDSU?

All but one. Given the kid plays QB in High School, they may not have gotten around to evaluating him as an ATH. Or not... But playing a different position in HS will keep a kid like this off the radar for a little while. The only way you know as a coach if this kid can play CB (and is really willing to be that mindset) is to put him there and work him out. Schools that can have that first-hand experience have a huge advantage.

Been saying it for over a year... Former HS QBs being put in the Nickel spot have worked out well for these types of defenses.

Solid point and it works both ways with DBs in this class.

We have needed a big rangey safety for a while now, this high jump is also great for being back there all alone. Hope it works out and he commits.

A 47' high jump would get some truffle attention, for sure (crazy to think his t/j is 3-1/2' shorter than the oldest Colorado high school track and field record). At 6'3", 170#, I'm curious if the coaches have some measure or scientific guess as to what he might fill out to be, or is it mostly conjecture. Do they simply call FLounder for his input in these cases?

A 47' high jump would get some truffle attention, for sure (crazy to think his t/j is 3-1/2' shorter than the oldest Colorado high school track and field record). At 6'3", 170#, I'm curious if the coaches have some measure or scientific guess as to what he might fill out to be, or is it mostly conjecture. Do they simply call FLounder for his input in these cases?
Huh?

Sorry, love this.

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

Back