What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hansen, Hawkins 'dead even'

What a joke. Hansen should be getting all the reps. And how is it that Cody throws 44 passes to Tyler's 29. When the CSU loss comes I hope a sh!t storm comes reigning down on Squawk's head. And three games later he's out of a job.

If our D can't knock down or INT CH's passes like opposing defenses, we're dead anyway. Already looking forward to the new coach.

I would love to see Cody come out as the starter. That may be the quickest way to getting rid of his Dad. If he plays Hansen and then we go 1-5 then he can put his kid in to try and get it back together. If Cody starts off 1-5, that may finally be the point where we clean house and can start fresh.

If Cody takes every snap this season, two things can happen:

1) We will finish 2-10 or 3-9.

2) Hansen can get his RS back and come in next year as a RS-Junior.

3) We will say goodbye to both big Hawk and lil Hawk after this season.

4) The rest of the Pac-10 will be watching the Cal game and say to themselves "We can tap into the Denver market AND get an easy W every year, where do I sign?"

If Hansen is the starter:

1) We will finish 5-7 or 6-6.

2) Signs of "hope" might make the admin waiver on firing Hawkins.

3) We repeat the exact same off-season as we have just done.

I would love to see Cody come out as the starter. That may be the quickest way to getting rid of his Dad.
Kind of sad but I agree. How can Hawkins not see this? I've heard of fathers having blinders about their kids, but this is ridiculous. How can he not see that Cody just doesn't have the physical tools to lead this team.

Seriously does Dan Hawkins understand that he is 5-16 in his last 21 games coached with the vast majority of the games started by his son?

This is my hope:
That Tyler is already the front runner, but due to the coaching philosophy, they believe competition makes the team stronger. So they will state there is a competition in order to force the players at that position (in theory) to work harder. As hard as they can.

We are counting reps from a practice scrimmage, not the spring game. Maybe they didn't intend for the reps to be even/steven in this case.

I've read that some people think this could be a problem for Tyler's confidence, and the team needs to know its offensive identity and move forward. But (not saying I'd do it this way), I grasp the concept if this is just "keeping it competitive." Tyler should develop confidence from his own ability and the plays he makes on the field and disregard Cody's time in practice for what it is. If the starting QB (and I'm hoping it's Hansen) is named following the spring game --- which must be held fairly with equal or closely equal reps and time with the ones --- then the end of April is soon enough. If they want a couple weeks in March to make Tyler take the reins, so be it. I hope that is all it is.

Cody is a good solid backup quarterback. He has had his chance at starter, I can't see what he could do differently to earn another go around. But he can help Tyler be a better QB.

What a joke. Hansen should be getting all the reps. And how is it that Cody throws 44 passes to Tyler's 29. When the CSU loss comes I hope a sh!t storm comes reigning down on Squawk's head. And three games later he's out of a job.

That is what should have happened last year except he should have been fired at Halftime of the Toledo game.

Maybe this is a reflection of our true Quarterback situation. Perhaps neither is the answer and it is time for someone else to step up.

Also Hawk got 56 plays and Hanson 47 so that ends the Hanson is getting more reps bullcrap.

This is my hope:
That Tyler is already the front runner, but due to the coaching philosophy, they believe competition makes the team stronger. So they will state there is a competition in order to force the players at that position (in theory) to work harder. As hard as they can.

We are counting reps from a practice scrimmage, not the spring game. Maybe they didn't intend for the reps to be even/steven in this case.

I've read that some people think this could be a problem for Tyler's confidence, and the team needs to know its offensive identity and move forward. But (not saying I'd do it this way), I grasp the concept if this is just "keeping it competitive." Tyler should develop confidence from his own ability and the plays he makes on the field and disregard Cody's time in practice for what it is. If the starting QB (and I'm hoping it's Hansen) is named following the spring game --- which must be held fairly with equal or closely equal reps and time with the ones --- then the end of April is soon enough. If they want a couple weeks in March to make Tyler take the reins, so be it. I hope that is all it is.

Cody is a good solid backup quarterback. He has had his chance at starter, I can't see what he could do differently to earn another go around. But he can help Tyler be a better QB.
^This. Main thing that has me scratching my head is Cody has hit his ceiling imo. It's not like he is gonna grow 4 inches, develop a cannon, and start running a 4.5 in the next few months. Hansen isnt a world beater but he is a better qb than Cody. Plus Hansen hasnt exactly got a fair shake at this thing so who knows how much better he can get? That guy needs to know he is the GUY unless he is injured or gets beat out by Hirschman. Think we all know what Cody can do and so does every D coordinator in the country. They want to run less and use Cody back there? That happens our O might get worse not better.

^This. Main thing that has me scratching my head is Cody has hit his ceiling imo. It's not like he is gonna grow 4 inches, develop a cannon, and start running a 4.5 in the next few months. Hansen isnt a world beater but he is a better qb than Cody. Plus Hansen hasnt exactly got a fair shake at this thing so who knows how much better he can get? That guy needs to know he is the GUY unless he is injured or gets beat out by Hirschman. Think we all know what Cody can do and so does every D coordinator in the country. They want to run less and use Cody back there? That happens our O will get worse not better.
fify.

The whole no huddle shotgun BS, was, I believe, cooked up to find an O that Cody could run in the B12. It was apparent to those watching the latter part of '07, DC's figured CH out and knew they did not have to defend the deep parts of the field and CU began to sputter. Actually, CU's O began to sputter after the '07 OU game.

The '08 offense was a disaster. Injuries were a big part of it, but the ability of defenses to stack the box and the inability to make them pay with a deep pass was also a huge part. It was so obvious they went drastic and brought in TH, which was questionable IMO, since the guy was running the scout team. To then jerk him when he makes mistakes was another foul up.

CH just doesn't have the skills, sorry. That was apparent last year, again, but I have little doubt Danny will try again, thinking, somehow, somewhere, there is an O that allows his son to play effectively.

We can use all the logic we want to but in the end we are dealing with a decision made by Dan Hawkins here. We all have four years of scratching our heads about these decisions already so why should we be surprised by anything he does now.

I don't blame Cody in this situation, he is just going to go out and try his hardest and believe in himself, exactly what we would want any player on the team to do. Unfortunately the decision will be made by Coach Hawkins and Cody will feel the heat for it.

To me Cody is a pretty good BCS quality back-up or mid-major starter. It is not his fault that he is short, lacks arm strength, has limited footspeed, etc. He is doing the very best he can with the talent he has and like any good player will take advantage of every opportunity he gets to do so. It is the head coachs responsibilty to identify players shortcomings and limitations and make decisions based on them and in that area I don't trust this head coach.

If Hawk actually starts Cody in any game with Hansen not injured, nepotism is starting to sound not so far fetched. Been on a team before with that exact same issue and it causes all kinds of bull****. Comment about the shotgun and Cody, it doesnt sound too out there either. I wouldnt put anything past Hawk these days, maybe he really has lost it. Does he not know the **** he is gonna get if Cody comes trotting out as starter in the CSU game? It will be way worse than last year, imho.

Maybe this is a reflection of our true Quarterback situation. Perhaps neither is the answer and it is time for someone else to step up.

That is my fear, but I would rather give Hansen a shot as the "#1" throughout spring and fall.

Nick Hirschman, the new most popular QB on the Buffs roster!

If Hawk actually starts Cody in any game with Hansen not injured, nepotism is starting to sound not so far fetched. Been on a team before with that exact same issue and it causes all kinds of bull****. Comment about the shotgun and Cody, it doesnt sound too out there either. I wouldnt put anything past Hawk these days, maybe he really has lost it. Does he not know the **** he is gonna get if Cody comes trotting out as starter in the CSU game? It will be way worse than last year, imho.

I read in the '08 pre-season mag, I forget which one and I am not sure I still have it, but there was a quote from the OC Helfrich saying they were going no-huddle spread, but with no QB keepers or QB run plays. He also said they were going to the shotgun to get the QB a chance to see downfield. Back then I wanted to believe the best, and was still buying the Hawkins BS. But in the back of my mind it sounded like they were building an O around one particular player. Who do you think that was?

BTW, running the spread without the QB occasionally pulling the ball on the read play and going naked around the weak end is like running the 100 meter dash in steel toed boots.

Last edited:
I read in the '08 pre-season mag, I forget which one and I am not sure I stillhave it, but there was a quote from the OC Helfrich saying they were going no-huddle spread, but with no QB keepers or QB run plays. He also said they were going to the shotgun to get the QB a chance to see downfield. Back then I wanted t believe the best, and was still buying the Hawkins BS. But in the back of my mind it sounded like they were building an O around one particular player. Who do you think that was?

Darrell Scott!!!

We can use all the logic we want to but in the end we are dealing with a decision made by Dan Hawkins here. We all have four years of scratching our heads about these decisions already so why should we be surprised by anything he does now.

I don't blame Cody in this situation, he is just going to go out and try his hardest and believe in himself, exactly what we would want any player on the team to do. Unfortunately the decision will be made by Coach Hawkins and Cody will feel the heat for it.

To me Cody is a pretty good BCS quality back-up or mid-major starter. It is not his fault that he is short, lacks arm strength, has limited footspeed, etc. He is doing the very best he can with the talent he has and like any good player will take advantage of every opportunity he gets to do so. It is the head coachs responsibilty to identify players shortcomings and limitations and make decisions based on them and in that area I don't trust this head coach.

I agree with what you are saying here. Cody is caught up in this and his limitations arent his fault. However, thats why he should be carrying a clipboard and cheering on his teammates. With his character, I know he would handle it with class. If his number got called, he would be ready. It's just to the point that 3-9 isnt gonna cut it here and nobody outside of Dan Hawkins believes Cody can get us much better. I put no blame whatsoever on CHawk, he is just doing his job and doing it the best he can.

I read in the '08 pre-season mag, I forget which one and I am not sure I stillhave it, but there was a quote from the OC Helfrich saying they were going no-huddle spread, but with no QB keepers or QB run plays. He also said they were going to the shotgun to get the QB a chance to see downfield. Back then I wanted t believe the best, and was still buying the Hawkins BS. But in the back of my mind it sounded like they were building an O around one particular player. Who do you think that was?
I think I remember that mag. I didnt pay it much mind at the time. It makes sense thats what they might have been up to. Looking downfield my ass, get in the shotgun and throw a 3 yard out sounds more like what ive seen lol.

I don't really get the Hansen put downs. Jmo here, but the guy has barely had a chance to really establish himself and show us what he can really do. You almost have to throw out his first year because that was just a terrible situation. Then this last year, when he should have been a redshirt freshman, he again gets no games against "easy" teams, he just gets thrown in for the meat of the schedule after it becomes blatantly obvious for the SECOND year in a row that Cody is not a Big 12 QB. I would just like to see what Hansen could do if given more snaps with the freaking ones than Cody for an entire spring + fall camp and gets to play against athletically inferior teams. I'm not trying to say Tyler is the best thing since Koy, but I'm reserving judgment until he gets the actual opportunity, you know, the same god damn opportunity Cody has had for the last 3 years.

I don't really get the Hansen put downs. Jmo here, but the guy has barely had a chance to really establish himself and show us what he can really do. You almost have to throw out his first year because that was just a terrible situation. Then this last year, when he should have been a redshirt freshman, he again gets no games against "easy" teams, he just gets thrown in for the meat of the schedule after it becomes blatantly obvious for the SECOND year in a row that Cody is not a Big 12 QB. I would just like to see what Hansen could do if given more snaps with the freaking ones than Cody for an entire spring + fall camp and gets to play against athletically inferior teams. I'm not trying to say Tyler is the best thing since Koy, but I'm reserving judgment until he gets the actual opportunity, you know, the same god damn opportunity Cody has had for the last 3 years.

this^^^^

Does anyone actually believe that any of the two can lead us to a Big XII championship?

Bobby Pesavento did. Different offense that relied less on the QB, so Hansen would have to be quite a bit better than Bobby to make it so it could happen. I don't expect it, but I could see it.

If our O-Line lives up to potential, Clemons/Simas/Scotty one-up the end of last year, and we find a RB to spell Speedy..... Our offense will be fine with either QB. I like the other dimension Hansen gives us. "we'll see".

If our O-Line lives up to potential, Clemons/Simas/Scotty one-up the end of last year, and we find a RB to spell Speedy..... Our offense will be fine with either QB. I like the other dimension Hansen gives us. "we'll see".

Wow... plenty of "ifs" for a coach going into his 5th season...

If the OL lives up to it's potential.
If the WR's improve.
If we find another RB.

What if we don't?

Wow... plenty of "ifs" for a coach going into his 5th season...

If the OL lives up to it's potential.
If the WR's improve.
If we find another RB.

What if we don't?

Plus we're just talking about the "ifs" on offense, does not even get into the "ifs" on special teams or defense. Hard to believe they are so many questions about a team heading into year five of a coach's tenure.

(I realize that no one is purposely ignoring special teams or defense since the QBs/offense were the subject of this thread)

Does the name Brandon Weeden ring a bell? He was the OSU walkon that came in for a highly touted backup to Zach Robinson in last years CU game. He proceeded to light it up against us. Anyone could see the difference and I will bet you he wasn't getting all the reps in the spring and fall.

Do you see that kind of performance with either of our qb's? As a matter of fact Cody did look pretty impressive in his one drive before the half.
Just sayin'.

Back