What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hansen, Hawkins 'dead even'

Well the "ifs" should tell us exactly where we are at as a program. As BB touched on, not just offense, this team has holes in every facet. Potential is all well and good but its time to start producing. Potential really doesnt mean dick if no improvement is shown and this squad needs improvement across the board. "What if we dont?" Well, not much will change and we will see another 3-9 or 4-8 campaign, at best. Then probably Hawk saying we were 10 plays from a bowl game lol.

The time for "improvement" is well past, IMO. We should have seen improvement from year 2 to year 3, and then from year 3 to year 4, but we didn't. We went in the wrong direction. Improvement for this team is 5 wins. That's garbage.

The time for "improvement" is well past, IMO. We should have seen improvement from year 2 to year 3, and then from year 3 to year 4, but we didn't. We went in the wrong direction. Improvement for this team is 5 wins. That's garbage.

I agree with you but it has to start sometime. The real question imo is whether its on Hawk's watch or not. I dont think he has shown anybody much to think he could turn this around, I sure as hell wouldnt put money on it.

In the series, they went Hansen, then Hawkins, then Hansen, then Hawkins and then Hansen for half the series, with Cody finishing the drive. They both did 2.5 series.

Hansen was out there first.

Every time the OSU drive is brought up I can't help but think about the KSU "2 minute drill" that Cody was so great in. I recall at least 5 or 6 attempted interceptions before he finally completed one. We've seen what Cody can do and it's not good. Why they insist on beating a dead horse and giving less reps to an inexperienced guy who clearly played better than the experienced player is just simply beyond me. Hopefully you guys are right and they're just doing it to drive Tyler to be the best he can be, but it certainly doesn't look or sound that way.

Every time the OSU drive is brought up I can't help but think about the KSU "2 minute drill" that Cody was so great in. I recall at least 5 or 6 attempted interceptions before he finally completed one. We've seen what Cody can do and it's not good. Why they insist on beating a dead horse and giving less reps to an inexperienced guy who clearly played better than the experienced player is just simply beyond me. Hopefully you guys are right and they're just doing it to drive Tyler to be the best he can be, but it certainly doesn't look or sound that way.

That KSU game was a joke. If the KSU DB's could catch...well you know the rest...

White -

Even giving the benefit of the doubt, believing that Tyler is the man, and believing that the coaches are just dividing reps to push Tyler a bit (and because they don't want someone throwing 75 passes in the 1st scrimmage)...

I still don't agree with Cody getting equal work.

White -

Even giving the benefit of the doubt, believing that Tyler is the man, and believing that the coaches are just dividing reps to push Tyler a bit (and because they don't want someone throwing 75 passes in the 1st scrimmage)...

I still don't agree with Cody getting equal work.

I thought I read that they were splitting reps with the ones somewhat evenly, no? And Cody throwing far more passes in the scrimmage, I just don't see it. If they don't want Tyler throwing 75 passes, how about Hirschman and Lobato throw a few more? What'd they combine for, 33 yards passing?

I thought I read that they were splitting reps with the ones somewhat evenly, no? And Cody throwing far more passes in the scrimmage, I just don't see it. If they don't want Tyler throwing 75 passes, how about Hirschman and Lobato throw a few more? What'd they combine for, 33 yards passing?

Yeah. The crazy thing is that Cody got more work than Tyler.

I can go back and forth on whether the young QBs should be getting more reps. Sure, they need the reps. But the 1s and 2s playing OL, TE, WR and RB need work, too, and they'll actually see the field in 2010. I can see the rationale of giving the vast majority of reps to the 2 QBs who know what they're doing so that all those other guys can get their work in.

Like I said in another thread...the longer they (Doosh bag coaching staff) do not declare Hansen as the starter, the more damage that they will do. Hansen needs to develop chemistry with his receivers and backs, and take on the role of leader. These mother ****ing coaches continue to amaze me....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I can see that the coaches, who are coaching for their lives, really aren't overly worried about developing Nick or Seth. I can just see Cody "dominating" the practices and the coaches, who didn't think this would be much of a competition, suddenly they start scheming about how much better Cody "gets" the offense and his vast "experience" as a 5th year starter is just too much to sit on the bench. They once again think they can get by with Cody at QB for a year while Tyler redshirts so they aren't stuck with a complete newbie in 2012.

My main reasoning for wanting Tyler as QB is: with Tyler at QB I think we have a chance to be an above average team, with Cody at QB I just don't see the offense doing much. Defense won't be anything special, and special teams will remain awful as long as Riddle is the coach. My main hope for this season is literally riding on Tyler being named starting QB, and I worry that won't be happening anytime soon.

Have the coaches named a starter at any position?

The closest I've heard is some acknowledgement that Jimmy, Jalil, Nate and Speedy are pretty secure in their starting jobs.

The closest I've heard is some acknowledgement that Jimmy, Jalil, Nate and Speedy are pretty secure in their starting jobs.

Don't think so. As long as they name a QB starter at the end of the Spring, it is all good. Having said that, I do not expect that announcement to occur and we will again enter the Fall with a QB competition.

It will be interesting to see what is said about the OL at the end of spring practices as well. It might be that only one position (Solder at LT) is resolved by then.

Don't think so. As long as they name a QB starter at the end of the Spring, it is all good. Having said that, I do not expect that announcement to occur and we will again enter the Fall with a QB competition.

It will be interesting to see what is said about the OL at the end of spring practices as well. It might be that only one position (Solder at LT) is resolved by then.

****ing lame and a complete failure...

Well not that I know of, but I would be pleased if they named Tyler starting QB at the end of spring, so I guess we should know relatively soon. I'm just now not seeing that the coaching staff would do this since seemingly, by some freak force of nature, Cody is outplaying Tyler. Like I said, hopefully I'm wrong and the coaches are just doing what they think is best for Tyler's development.

Please god, let Cody shine through. We need the hawk under center. His arm strength is unmatched. His leadership is unquestioned. He is the man to take the buffs to 4-8 w/out a doubt. All praise allah.

Why doesn't someone explain to hawk that his way isn't working and maybe he needs to change some aspects of the team? Talent evaluations, naming starters, playing your best/talented players etc...

We are dealing with the Mad Hatter.....

:bowdown:
We are dealing with the Mad Hatter.....
:goldcup:

You have just summarized the past four years in seven words much more effectively than I have seen others do it in pages.

I wonder if rather than the protesting by wearing "Chuck Fairbanks blue" we should resort to wearing crazy hats?

Have we considered that maybe Hansen isn't quite as good as we all wish he was? If Cody hit his ceiling 2 years ago then there's no reason for Tyler not to have grabbed this job by the balls long ago.

I"m not saying Cody is the better option, I don't believe that, but it is more than a little disturbing that Tyler hasn't really shown a ton of improvement yet. Has he hit his ceiling too?

This is not to rip Tyler, it's more of an indictment on our ability to develop talent, and I know splitting time is a factor, but it's not like he hasn't been given ample opportunity.

The more I watch this team, the more I fear neither guy is the answer.

Have we considered that maybe Hansen isn't quite as good as we all wish he was? If Cody hit his ceiling 2 years ago then there's no reason for Tyler not to have grabbed this job by the balls long ago.

I"m not saying Cody is the better option, I don't believe that, but it is more than a little disturbing that Tyler hasn't really shown a ton of improvement yet. Has he hit his ceiling too?

This is not to rip Tyler, it's more of an indictment on our ability to develop talent, and I know splitting time is a factor, but it's not like he hasn't been given ample opportunity.

The more I watch this team, the more I fear neither guy is the answer.
I dont know if Tyler is the answer, only time will tell. I dont agree that he has had ample opportunity to prove himself. I dont think it has been an even playing field at all in terms of how Cody is treated or handled compared to Tyler.
Imho, I dont think anyone could say Tyler has hit his ceiling, he hasnt played enough.

Hansen makes plays with his feet and arm. Cody does neither. End of story.

Oh. Right. That's why the Buffs were sooooo much better when Hansen was in the game. I'm sorry but I have to agree with skid on this one... Maybe Hirschman will shine through?

I believe, and have for quite sometime, that our biggest problem on offense isnt the qb position. I think our oline has to improve a ton this year before things get better. Both of our qbs consistently run for their lives week in and week out. Im not saying Tyler is a world beater, he does bring something Cody doesnt, he can run. Love to see Hirschman play but it will do more damage than good if he isnt ready.

Lots of good points in this thread. I think there is a bit of truth on all sides. In the end, how the QB situation has played out and how it has been handled by this coaching staff has been mostly a disaster. We want to talk about all the things that have gone wrong during Hawkins' tenure (and plenty has gone wrong), but the QB situation is the biggest one in my mind.

There is no doubt in my mind, even with as many issues there has been with on-field play, that we are a bowl team the last two seasons with better QB play (from both Cody and Tyler). Ugh.

IMO, TH has more tools. He lacks experience. Sharing time with CH, who is very much a known quantity at this time, is pretty foolish IMO. We'll never know how good TH can be until he gets practice, scrimmage and game time snaps. It is pretty obvious he's more athletic and has a stronger arm.

Hansen makes plays with his feet and arm. Cody does neither. End of story.

I don't think it's that simple, does he win more than he loses? Again, I'm not trying to knock Tyler or argue that Cody should start. All I'm saying is if you took an objective look at how both guys are performing right now, and neither guy was the coach's son - I don't think it's necessarily that obvious that Tyler is head and shoulders ahead and should be named the starter right now. Both guys have serious flaws and IMO neither guy has taken command of the team and earned it yet.

I suspect ultimately Tyler will win the job, but I wish he was making the coach's job a little easier by outperforming Cody in practice which he hasn't shown the ability to do yet on a consistent basis. Look at the scrimmage stats and tell me who is the clear-cut starter?

My main gripe here is that our QBs aren't getting better, and that is a serious problem.

I agree with a lot of you in a number of points. First off, QB play has been subpar no matter who has been in the game. A big part of this is due to lack of protection, lack of a consistent running game, inability to loosen up defenses with anything longer than a 3 yard out, lack of imagination in the passing game, etc.

I have however also seen a big difference in the way the two QBs are handled, TH throws a bad ball and suddenly we go into a shell or he goes to the bench. CH throws a bad ball and he gets a pat on the back and more opportunities. The offense has been planned around what CH does, not what TH can do. CH has had long consistent period of play to develop his skills and his feel for the offense. TH has as has been documented here long stretches of innactivity and a quick hook.

I don't know if TH has what it takes to succeed in the Big XII, we haven't seen him have the opportunity to show the answer to that question up or down. I do know that if teams know that they are facing CH they know how to stop him and his skills are not sufficient to overcome those defenses.

DH may claim that he is being objective but the evidence points to a different conclusion. TH may not be the answer, we haven't had a chance to see him enough to know. We do know that despite how well he practices, CH in game situations cannot escape the rush, cannot see and read what is developing on the field sufficiently to take advantage, and throws bad balls under pressure. DH can argue all he wants about practice and film study, etc. but if he continues to insist on starting his son this will be his last year as coach at CU.

My main gripe here is that our QBs aren't getting better, and that is a serious problem.

I think it is more than fair to question this staff's talent evaluation and player development at QB. You are right, it is a serious problem.

Back