What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Has Jon Embree's behavior today damaged the University and football program?

yeah you're all right. he should have just stuck his tail between his legs and walked away. how dare he defend himself. anyone that thinks jon embree was the one that hurt this university today, and not mike bohn, is a fool.

So, you think this was the appropriate behavior? Does what he did help the school or the team in any way?

Bohn dug his own hole today, that is for sure

So, you think this was the appropriate behavior? Does what he did help the school or the team in any way?

Bohn dug his own hole today, that is for sure

I don't necessarily think he did anything to help the university today, but are you really enough of a moron to expect him to act with the best interests of the men who just fired him at heart? If anything, he told his student-athletes that he was there for them, that's enough for me. What did he do that was inappropriate? Answers questions honestly? Stand up for himself? Say that if he had been told he had 23 months he wouldn't have taken the job? He's being HONEST.

Not really, he wasn't being honest. He didn't take much responsibility for his disaster.

Most coaches, include an irate Barnett and a beat-down Hawkins both had far more professional press conferences.

yeah you're all right. he should have just stuck his tail between his legs and walked away. how dare he defend himself. anyone that thinks jon embree was the one that hurt this university today, and not mike bohn, is a fool.

Hey Sparky (aka, Joel) -

get lost.

He had 2 years to turn around a program. Two years is not enough. I would be angry too if the institution that was purportedly committed to him gave him the ax after such a brief time. Kyle Whittingham had a perfect season 2 or 3 years ago. Now, his team is a clunker. He's a a good coach, Utah has comparable talent to CU this year, and Embree almost won....I don't understand this mentality that people have that numerous coaches could have done ten times better with the talent CU has. Has any team ever started this many freshmen, suffered this many injuries to seniors and done ample times better?

Go take a look at TCU. 14 freshmen in their 2 deep. They are 7-4.

It's just sad that so many former, high-profile Buffs like Klatt and Al are bashing Bohn and the decision that was made. They're letting they're emotions and favoritism get in the way of objectivity here. I'm afraid this is just going to create an even bigger divide between CU and the Denver media. :huh:

I don't necessarily think he did anything to help the university today, but are you really enough of a moron to expect him to act with the best interests of the men who just fired him at heart? If anything, he told his student-athletes that he was there for them, that's enough for me. What did he do that was inappropriate? Answers questions honestly? Stand up for himself? Say that if he had been told he had 23 months he wouldn't have taken the job? He's being HONEST.

He completely disregarded his on-field performance. Never once did he mention that maybe he could have done a better job as head football coach.

Hey Sparky (aka, Joel) -

get lost.

Gladly, I will, this place has become such a feeble minded sewage pool. Even the sane ones (buffnik) have lost it. My expectations for this board have shrunk very low, but i certainly didn't expect this. Jon Embree took responsibility at every press conference he spoke at. He was culpable, and he admitted it. Anyway, I dearly hope we can find someone to turn this program around. But I think you'll find it will be difficult with the current "leadership" we have.

Gladly, I will, this place has become such a feeble minded sewage pool. Even the sane ones (buffnik) have lost it. My expectations for this board have shrunk very low, but i certainly didn't expect this. Jon Embree took responsibility at every press conference he spoke at. He was culpable, and he admitted it. Anyway, I dearly hope we can find someone to turn this program around. But I think you'll find it will be difficult with the current "leadership" we have.

Wrong. See you when we are winning again....

I think more than anything, Embree and other Ex-Buffs (specifically Mac, Klatt, CJ & AL) tarnished their reputations and legacies with their actions. They could have handled this situation with much more grace and maturity yet they choose to take the low road. I have no issue with them voicing their displeasure with Embree being fired or proclaiming their dislike for Bohn but these guys carried out a witch hunt, plain and simple. It started with Embree at the press conference and just went downhill from there.

Throughout the day, every single one of these “adults” had a multiple opportunities to throw their support behind the program they claim to love so much. They could have shown that Buffalo pride that they always preach about to the group that needs the most support right now: current and future Buffs. Instead, they focused in on belittling Bohn and any fan that choose to disagree with their positions, even going as far as hanging up on callers that asked the hard questions.

It disgusts me how they acted like petulant children and their respective media outlets allowed it to happen. I have lost so much respect for this group.

This lack of emotional control makes me more certain Embree wasn’t ready for this level.

MIA from today's is Eric Bienemy.

He would have added some additional spice to the presser.

Wrong. See you when we are winning again....

Can you read? I just said i "DEARLY HOPE WE CAN FIND SOMEONE TO TURN THIS PROGRAM AROUND" - see i even capitalized it so you can see it better, although maybe it is your literacy skills that are suffering. I'm quitting allbuffs.com, but never the buffs.

You know, I do think that Embree did himself and the University no favors today. Luckily his time is nearly up and no one will care what he says in about 2 or 3 days.

What was jarring and insulting to me was the behavior of the so-called "Buffs" in the local media. The lack of professionalism shown by Klatt, CJ, and Big Al was infuriating. All they cared about today was their "boy'. They completely ignored the on-the-field problems and the recruiting failures and deflected everything towards Bohn. They refused to believe that Embree did anything bad enough to warrant firing, and when they were finally forced to admit that this year was terrible, they immediately jumped on the "Hawk got 5 years" excuse.

My concern is, while Embree's time is about up, these guys are going to stay around. All they did today was show to me that their primary goal at this point is to get Bohn fired. That will make things really difficult for the University if they start bashing every little trip up any athletic program has in an effort to put pressure on Bohn.

I think more than anything, Embree and other Ex-Buffs (specifically Mac, Klatt, CJ & AL) tarnished their reputations and legacies with their actions. They could have handled this situation with much more grace and maturity yet they choose to take the low road. I have no issue with them voicing their displeasure with Embree being fired or proclaiming their dislike for Bohn but these guys carried out a witch hunt, plain and simple. It started with Embree at the press conference and just went downhill from there.

Throughout the day, every single one of these “adults” had a multiple opportunities to throw their support behind the program they claim to love so much. They could have shown that Buffalo pride that they always preach about to the group that needs the most support right now: current and future Buffs. Instead, they focused in on belittling Bohn and any fan that choose to disagree with their positions, even going as far as hanging up on callers that asked the hard questions.

It disgusts me how they acted like petulant children and their respective media outlets allowed it to happen. I have lost so much respect for this group.

This lack of emotional control makes me more certain Embree wasn’t ready for this level.

Bloom did this. He was professional and well spoken. Didn't agree with the decision, but backed Bohn by noting that he thinks Bohn is doing what is best for the program. He looked forward and suggested everyone should look forward as well.

Can you read? I just said i "DEARLY HOPE WE CAN FIND SOMEONE TO TURN THIS PROGRAM AROUND" - see i even capitalized it so you can see it better, although maybe it is your literacy skills that are suffering. I'm quitting allbuffs.com, but never the buffs.

i thought you had quit several posts ago....if you are going to leave, then get out. Perhaps you can go work for Klatt, CJ, Al, or one of the other dim witted idiots who claim to love the Buffs.

Weird. So did Bohn. Yet no one drinking the Embree-aid acknowledges that.

Said it much more eloquently than I did.

Bloom did this. He was professional and well spoken. Didn't agree with the decision, but backed Bohn by noting that he thinks Bohn is doing what is best for the program. He looked forward and suggested everyone should look forward as well.

Yea, Bloom derailed Al and his ranting when he said he believed in Bohn. Awesome!

In fairness though, I seem to recall a pretty emotional outburst via Twitter from Bloom last night. He at least got that out of his system before he went in front of the media.

"I don't know."

i thought you had quit several posts ago....if you are going to leave, then get out. Perhaps you can go work for Klatt, CJ, Al, or one of the other dim witted idiots who claim to love the Buffs.

Yeah they seem pretty phony to me. Of course they love the buffs they just disagree about what is in the program's best interest.

sparky,

Did you post during the past couple weeks when we were trying to get debates going? I had a definite and strong opinion, which has not wavered. I took action. But while doing so, I encouraged dissent and discussion.

If you had asked me any time before I took this position if I'd support firing a coach after 2 season, I would have told you that even after 3 it would be difficult for me to support that. But what I was looking at was a historically bad season coupled with a strong 2012 recruiting class that can form the foundation for the rebuild. I saw the recruiting in freefall, though, and know from other situations that hiring a coach with cache can save a transitional class while getting a big uptick the following season (new coach excitement). Embree was looking at 2 straight down classes that would waste a lot of the 2012 talent gains. Further, by Embree saying he needed a re-set of coaches and systems I lost all faith that he had a handle on the coordination of a program that would be necessary to get results from the talent he has.

Last night was bittersweet for me. Excitement that CU is taking football seriously enough to make strong and difficult decisions. Upsetness that guys like Embree and Bieniemy came back out of love for the program to fix things and that they would have to be hurt in order to make the right football decision.

Yeah they seem pretty phony to me. Of course they love the buffs they just disagree about what is in the program's best interest.

The way they acted today, seems like they love Embree and their little 'club' more than they love CU.

sparky,

Did you post during the past couple weeks when we were trying to get debates going? I had a definite and strong opinion, which has not wavered. I took action. But while doing so, I encouraged dissent and discussion.

If you had asked me any time before I took this position if I'd support firing a coach after 2 season, I would have told you that even after 3 it would be difficult for me to support that. But what I was looking at was a historically bad season coupled with a strong 2012 recruiting class that can form the foundation for the rebuild. I saw the recruiting in freefall, though, and know from other situations that hiring a coach with cache can save a transitional class while getting a big uptick the following season (new coach excitement). Embree was looking at 2 straight down classes that would waste a lot of the 2012 talent gains. Further, by Embree saying he needed a re-set of coaches and systems I lost all faith that he had a handle on the coordination of a program that would be necessary to get results from the talent he has.

Last night was bittersweet for me. Excitement that CU is taking football seriously enough to make strong and difficult decisions. Upsetness that guys like Embree and Bieniemy came back out of love for the program to fix things and that they would have to be hurt in order to make the right football decision.

That's fair. It was an interesting debate, whether or not to keep Embo. I think at the end of the day, you let him get a couple (2-3) full classes in (ignore the ratings, because that means nothing) and see what he's able to do with his own guys. He wasn't given that chance and that, in my opinion, is a shame. What made be come back here and post again was the reaction for what Embree said today. I thought it was great. It was honest, raw and graceful. He held his tongue at times, but mostly was candid and made some really important points about flaws in our program. To say that he hurt the program today is ludicrous.

I've gone back and forth all day with who I'm sorry for and who I'm mad at for causing all this.I give Embree a pass for the press conference,raw and emotional,but how he toured the radio stations this afternoon was very unnecessary.Those who facilitated it should have their credentials pulled since turning the presser into a circus wasn't good enough,their attempts to radicalize the fan base is insulting.What went down today may have scuffed CU,but no serious damage was done.IMO

There's an expectation to behave as a professional at that level. Even at more junior levels, but especially at the HC level.

What does that mean?

A departing head coach should make a statement in a manner that minimizes the personal emotion and emphasizes the student athletes and the program.

For instance:

"I was very disappointed in the decision of the Athletic Director to fire me. I felt that I inherited a challenging situation and that I made the most of the opportunity provided to me. In fact, I'd argue that most performance factors indicated that our team was improving.

However, I respect the University's decision, and appreciate the opportunity to coach at my alma mater.

I encourage our great student athletes to continue to strive for excellence, regardless who their coach is.

Thanks to those who supported me."

But lashing out with the emotion, and venting on talk shows is inappropriate. I'm not asking him to be insincere, or go out with his tail between his legs. But I'd argue the manner in which he did it was less dignified and ultimately undermined his credibility on the issue.

And finally, was there any indication to you, Sparky, that Coach Embree had this team on the right track? I watched nearly every game this season, and have never personally witness a more tragically coached team. It wasn't youth and a lack of on field leadership (those were factors, of course), it was bad coaching, and it was apparent.

Time to move on.

Yes...even doosh face Danny and GB were professional. Jon was far from it....and it continued throughout the day on his magical mystery tour of all the dummies known as the Denver media.

And finally, was there any indication to you, Sparky, that Coach Embree had this team on the right track? I watched nearly every game this season, and have never personally witness a more tragically coached team. It wasn't youth and a lack of on field leadership (those were factors, of course), it was bad coaching, and it was apparent.

Time to move on.

There weren't many. But look at the fact that many of the top contributors were Freshmen and Sophomores that Embree recruited. Sometimes, you have to have a tough season or two (especially given the condition Embree entered) to get back on the right track. Yes, staff changes were probably needed. But I still think if Embree had been given time, he would have been successful. What if Bohn had fired Bzdelik after his dreadful second year (1-15, Big 12)? The program would certainly not be where it is today.

Back