What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawk 101

B1Buff

Now, I am not a D1 football coach and will never claim to know as much about football or life as the great Dan Hawkins, but there are a couple things that stick out to me...

I understand that the title 'football coach' can be easily confused with 'life coach', but fundamentally they are different even though many of us may view football as a very important aspect of life. ie...Although I maybe lying on a couch, I wouldn't confuse a prostitute for a psychiatrist; and, even though I always see them with money, I would not consult a stripper for investment advice. You are a football coach and being paid to win football games, not mold good people...leave that to the professionals. But as of now the work you are doing wouldn't be mistaken as that of a life coach or a football coach, but rather more closely related to prostitution as you are being paid a lot lot of money to phuck a lot of Buffs...both players and fans. Simple...Play football, try to win each game, worry less about personal growth and development...did i mention win games?

Advice: Personnel groupings are a stupid idea and don't work, stop using them. There are 49 other states in the country, don't be afraid to get recruits outside of CO (BTW, you are not saving the school any money, a scholarship costs the school the same amount no matter where you get the player from). Walk-ons should not make up 85% of the roster in the skill positions...Kickers and punters maybe. There is a such thing as natural talent, hard work only goes so far. The term midget football only applies to children, not college football. I think you have offense and defense confused so I will simplify...Offensive objective-score points, Defensive objective-keep other team from scoring points. Reevaluate your terminology for "the little things"...The little things are: Showing up to play football (not enjoying the beautiful scenery Toledo has to offer), beating inferior opponents, running the assigned route, catching the ball when it is thrown to you, blocking the person that is trying to tackle the ball carrier, and tackling the person carrying the ball...This does not include: Trying hard in practice (who cares, try hard in a game), stepping up to the challenge, or getting an A on your Chemistry Final.

PS - put these notes on the bottom of the gameplan for each week and we may win a game or two.

Go Buffs!

Now, I am not a D1 football coach and will never claim to know as much about football or life as the great Dan Hawkins, but there are a couple things that stick out to me...

I understand that the title 'football coach' can be easily confused with 'life coach', but fundamentally they are different even though many of us may view football as a very important aspect of life. ie...Although I maybe lying on a couch, I wouldn't confuse a prostitute for a psychiatrist; and, even though I always see them with money, I would not consult a stripper for investment advice. You are a football coach and being paid to win football games, not mold good people...leave that to the professionals. But as of now the work you are doing wouldn't be mistaken as that of a life coach or a football coach, but rather more closely related to prostitution as you are being paid a lot lot of money to phuck a lot of Buffs...both players and fans. Simple...Play football, try to win each game, worry less about personal growth and development...did i mention win games?

Advice: Personnel groupings are a stupid idea and don't work, stop using them. There are 49 other states in the country, don't be afraid to get recruits outside of CO (BTW, you are not saving the school any money, a scholarship costs the school the same amount no matter where you get the player from). Walk-ons should not make up 85% of the roster in the skill positions...Kickers and punters maybe. There is a such thing as natural talent, hard work only goes so far. The term midget football only applies to children, not college football. I think you have offense and defense confused so I will simplify...Offensive objective-score points, Defensive objective-keep other team from scoring points. Reevaluate your terminology for "the little things"...The little things are: Showing up to play football (not enjoying the beautiful scenery Toledo has to offer), beating inferior opponents, running the assigned route, catching the ball when it is thrown to you, blocking the person that is trying to tackle the ball carrier, and tackling the person carrying the ball...This does not include: Trying hard in practice (who cares, try hard in a game), stepping up to the challenge, or getting an A on your Chemistry Final.

PS - put these notes on the bottom of the gameplan for each week and we may win a game or two.

Go Buffs!

To Dan's credit, he has signed players from:

California
Texas
Hawaii
Kentucky
Washington
Arizona
Idaho
Florida
Oklahoma
Louisiana
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Kansas
Tennessee
Utah
New Jersey
Nebraska
Minnesota

To Dan's credit, he has signed players from:

California
Texas
Hawaii
Kentucky
Washington
Arizona
Idaho
Florida
Oklahoma
Louisiana
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Kansas
Tennessee
Utah
New Jersey
Nebraska
Minnesota

alot of those states suck!

alot of those states suck!

The big 5 are in there.. CA, TX, FL, OH and PA. What state is missing that you would like to see on there?

I know I forgot a couple as well.

The point being, we aren't just recruiting Colorado.

The big 5 are in there.. CA, TX, FL, OH and PA. What state is missing that you would like to see on there?

my comment had nothing to do with football....

i don't know anything about football... I have never played american football, I have never coached american football, and I have never assisted in coaching american football.

I did however.... play intramural football brotha.... and won a CU t-shirt... :smile:

well maybe we need to recruit in different areas of those states.... :lol:

Advice: Personnel groupings are a stupid idea and don't work, stop using them.
Witty, clever and a good argument ... but not so sure I agree. A good football coach must have a bit of life coach in them. Otherwise, your team ends up at the top of the Fulmer Cup. Hawk is great a preaching and philosophy, which connects with recruits and parents. He now needs to turn on the Football Coach switch and get these guys prepared and in a position to win.

There are 49 other states in the country, don't be afraid to get recruits outside of CO (BTW, you are not saving the school any money, a scholarship costs the school the same amount no matter where you get the player from).

Agree with whit. Hawk has signed 18 Colorado recruits (average of 4.5/year). In the last 3 recruiting cycles, (2006 he came in late and all the top recruits had already pledged elsewhere) only 3 of those Colo. recruits were not in Rival's Colo. top 10 (Grossnickle - a kicker, Shawn Daniels - #11, and DaVaughn Thronton). So basically, he's been getting about half of the top talent in Colorado - something that fans really took Barnett to task for not doing.

Walk-ons should not make up 85% of the roster in the skill positions...Kickers and punters maybe. There is a such thing as natural talent, hard work only goes so far. The term midget football only applies to children, not college football. I think you have offense and defense confused so I will simplify...Offensive objective-score points, Defensive objective-keep other team from scoring points. Reevaluate your terminology for "the little things"...The little things are: Showing up to play football (not enjoying the beautiful scenery Toledo has to offer), beating inferior opponents, running the assigned route, catching the ball when it is thrown to you, blocking the person that is trying to tackle the ball carrier, and tackling the person carrying the ball...This does not include: Trying hard in practice (who cares, try hard in a game), stepping up to the challenge, or getting an A on your Chemistry Final.

Go Buffs!

Agree 100% :thumbsup:

Back