What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawk gonna be on The Fan @ 2:30

Big fan of Alfred Williams on the Fan. He has great enthusiasm, isn't a know it all, and of course is a Buff. I remember a few weeks back it was him and CJ hosting the show, was loving it.

wonder who left and wanted to come back? I know Celestine but who was the other one?

-I think those holding out hope that Josh Smith will remain a Buff can go ahead and forget it. Hawk sure talked about him as if Smith and the program had both moved on, mentioned how transfers are becoming more common, including Clemons coming to Boulder.
-Talked about the camps. Friday Night Lights event is tonight. Mentioned Ted Johnson mixing it up with Brian Cabral.
-Most of the incoming freshmen (scholarship and walk-on) are already on campus.
-Good year in the classroom. Spring had some of the best practices since he has been here. More experienced players and solid leadership.
-Talked a bit about Grimes and Helfrich leaving. Mostly emphasized the multi-year contracts they got and the raises they got. Had some nice things to say about both.
-Talked about Ryan Miller and Nate Solder on the offensive line.

Overall, not too much new.

I'm also intrigued with the question Dorn posed. Hawk mentioned that two players who left wanted to come back and were told they would be walk-ons. Pretty interesting.

I'm also intrigued with the question Dorn posed. Hawk mentioned that two players who left wanted to come back and were told they would be walk-ons. Pretty interesting.

We know that one of them is likely Celestine. Would the second player be Chance Blackmon? *
Blackmon Leaves Program

Ironic to read that article and see the nice things Hawkins said about JSmith.

*I'm pretty darn sure it's not Katoa. :smile2:

Nice to hear Coach Dan had good things to say about the former line coach and offensive coordinator.
I have a couple of good things to say about them as well. I liked how the line coach had the sideways blocking schemes working for the running backs while the offensive coordinator had them getting those neat handoffs in the standstill position with no blocking back.

I'm sure they are nice guys and they didn't mean to do harm, but the results of what they did do with their coaching wasn't very good. I believe their overall offensive design and schemes were seriously flawed for the personnel even before injuries and player ineligibilities took hold. We will see how the offense does with Denver Johnson and Eric Kiesau.

I'm sure they are nice guys and they didn't mean to do harm, but the results of what they did do with their coaching wasn't very good. I believe their overall offensive design and schemes were seriously flawed for the personnel even before injuries and player ineligibilities took hold. We will see how the offense does with Denver Johnson and Eric Kiesau.

It's easy to sit back and take shots at coaches when things aren't going well. Both coaches have had a lot of success during their careers. I doubt their schemes were flawed. Grimes has had great success everywhere he went. He did well here with a very young line. Then he lost almost half his starters in one season. I think he would've done well this year. Our Oline is looking great.

I also think the same with Helfrich. He had to work with a very young squad during his whole tenure here. Sure he had some questionable calls. But this is a different game than it was over 30 years ago. I believe UO got themselves a great coach.

I think hawk has the tools to finally put together a winning season now. There is awesome leadership on the team. Nows the time. Go Buffs.

valdezj: I didn't like what I saw in the blocking schemes under Grimes. The players discuss the differences between what Grimes was teaching and what Denver Johnson is teaching in the following article:
http://www.buffzone.com/news/2009/apr/23/cu-offensive-line-colorado-buffs-johnson/

I observed the same thing under Grimes last year that the players talk about in this article... the sideways and backward blocking techniques. I don't mean to be snotty here at all, but I believe it is easy to take shots at what some coaches try to do when two things add up. That is: 1) when I don't agree/like what they are doing technically and by design, and 2) when what they are doing technically and by design doesn't work. I think my shots were justified because 1 and 2 added up. It seems the linemen also agree with me.

As far as Helfrich goes, 3 seasons of last or near last in offensive production speaks for itself. He had perhaps 3 or 4 games in 3 seasons where the offensive game plan was at least partially successful. His offense that was implemented in the spring of 2008 and then seen in the 2008 season was completely wrong for the personnel. I thought it was going to be a disaster when I saw it in the spring. A shotgun/no huddle offense with a short, immobile quarterback; young/inexperienced receivers; and young/inexperienced linemen was just plain dumb. The sideways blocking schemes with handoffs to running backs at a standstill were ridiculous. Speedy Stewart was quoted in the paper where he mentioned that the backs and linemen preferred running the ball out of the I-formation where they got the ball while in motion and a blocking back in front. (I didn't look up the article, but I know it exists somewhere.) I can only assume he got into trouble with the coaches for talking about something contrary to their ridiculous scheme. The injuries only added insult to the overall problem that was a bad overall scheme in the first place.

Football being a different game now than what it was years ago is not an excuse for poor schemes. The fundamentals of football are still the same. Sure, some new ideas not seen years ago can sometimes work with the right personnel. But they can also be a disaster. I like what I hear regarding what Denver Johnson is doing with the offensive line and what Kiesau plans for the offensive design. We will see if what they do is any better. I think there is only a 5% chance that the Johnson/Kiesau results on offense are going to be as bad or worse than the results we saw from Grimes/Helfrich. We will see.

Last edited:
valdezj: I didn't like what I saw in the blocking schemes under Grimes. The players discuss the differences between what Grimes was teaching and what Denver Johnson is teaching in the following article:
http://www.buffzone.com/news/2009/apr/23/cu-offensive-line-colorado-buffs-johnson/

I observed the same thing under Grimes last year that the players talk about in this article... the sideways and backward blocking techniques. I don't mean to be snotty here at all, but I believe it is easy to take shots at what some coaches try to do when two things add up. That is: 1) when I don't agree/like what they are doing technically and by design, and 2) when what they are doing technically and by design doesn't work. I think my shots were justified because 1 and 2 added up. It seems the linemen also agree with me.[/QUOTE]

I believe the techniques Grimes was teaching was because of the lack of experience/talent on the Oline. I don't think it would've been smart to ask the players he had to become bulldozers. I don't think Miller or Solder were strong enough to really accomplish this vs. our B12 opponents. Same with MTM and Devin Head. Can these kids turn into bulldozers in the future? No doubt, but at that time I think it wasn't an option. So Grimes tried something different.

I also expect players to say the PC thing to the media in just about every occasion. Grimes has had success everywhere he went. I think it was his coaching ability that produced those results. I think he would've produced similar results here if he would've stayed.

As far as Helfrich goes, 3 seasons of last or near last in offensive production speaks for itself. He had perhaps 3 or 4 games in 3 seasons where the offensive game plan was at least partially successful. His offense that was implemented in the spring of 2008 and then seen in the 2008 season was completely wrong for the personnel. I thought it was going to be a disaster when I saw it in the spring. A shotgun/no huddle offense with a short, immobile quarterback; young/inexperienced receivers; and young/inexperienced linemen was just plain dumb. The sideways blocking schemes with handoffs to running backs at a standstill were ridiculous. Speedy Stewart was quoted in the paper where he mentioned that the backs and linemen preferred running the ball out of the I-formation where they got the ball while in motion and a blocking back in front. (I didn't look up the article, but I know it exists somewhere.) I can only assume he got into trouble with the coaches for talking about something contrary to their ridiculous scheme. The injuries only added insult to the overall problem that was a bad overall scheme in the first place.
The results speak for themselves? This is a rebuilding program. I know many people here seem to expect Hawkins to come out and produce an immediate winner, but most did not expect that to happen. If Helfrich was the **** coach everyone here thought he was, I really doubt he would've landed the job at UO.

Speedy said those quotes to the paper because he never played in a spread offense. I'm sure he had many doubts when things didn't go our way. But the spread is, and has been proven to work. Like it or not.

Football being a different game now than what it was years ago is not an excuse for poor schemes. The fundamentals of football are still the same. Sure, some new ideas not seen years ago can sometimes work with the right personnel. But they can also be a disaster. I like what I hear regarding what Denver Johnson is doing with the offensive line and what Kiesau plans for the offensive design. We will see if what they do is any better. I think there is only a 5% chance that the Johnson/Kiesau results on offense are going to be as bad or worse than the results we saw from Grimes/Helfrich. We will see.
If Helfrich and Grimes were working with a veteran team, with experience under their belts then I would probably agree with you. But they weren't. Sure I didn't agree with every call, but what fan does? To come out and say the their system is flawed just isn't acurrate.

Kiesau will see better results from this team based on the experience we have. I think that is huge.

No, clearly it was Marcus Houston looking for a place to spend the 8th and 9th years of eligibility the NCAA just granted him.... :cool:

But then the NCAA will change their mind and revoke those 8th and 9th years of eligibility when they find out that he wants to come back to CU.

Back